TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Mar-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
jon54321

Amp or no amp?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86539de5fbab

I have a Winegard 8200 inside the attic and its picking up most of the channels between 16 degrees and 97degrees fairly well, with the antenna pointed at about 40 degrees.

Sometimes I do get spotty reception on some of them, especially 8.1 and 63.2. I have an 8 way splitter hooked near the antenna with 5 cables going to TVs. I would estimate there is 150-200 total feet of coax running from the splitter to these TVs.

I'm thinking I could probably use a pre amp to strengthen my signal since I have it split so much, but I have no idea which one. I've been debating trying the Winegard 8275 or 8700, but I'm unsure what I really need.

Any ideas?

Also, I would like to pick up the three channels in the 257 degree direction, but curently can't. Would an amp help with this too?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Mar-2012 at 1:11 AM. Reason: Repaired TVFR link
jon54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2012, 1:23 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The use of an 8-way splitter calls for an amplifier in many cases.

Consider an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp or a Channel Master CM-3410 distribution amplifier.

If the antenna is not receiving a usable signal, an amplifier won't help. Amplifiers only provide a means to overcome cable and splitter losses attached to the output port. The closer you place the amplifier to the antenna, the better. The quality of the signal into the amplifier is improved and the effect of impedance mismatch (if present) may be minimized if the cable from the antenna to the amplifier is kept as short as is practical.

Avoid high gain, 'fringe area' amplifiers, they'll likely overload given the number of strong local signals and the gain of your antenna.

The signals on the 257° azimuth are too weak to expect reception from in the attic. You'll need to consider outdoor mounting at a higher level. Feel free to post a TVFR based on an antenna height of 50', we'll be glad to look at the possibilities for you.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Mar-2012 at 1:30 AM. Reason: Added comments re. weak signals to the west
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2012, 1:33 AM   #3
jon54321

OK, thank you for the help. One more question, would it help to use multiple smaller splitters instead of the one large one, in addition to adding the amp of course.
Old 2-Mar-2012, 1:59 AM   #4
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon54321 View Post
.... One more question, would it help to use multiple smaller splitters instead of the one large one, in addition to adding the amp of course.
Absolutely not. Assuming that you mean feeding the output of one splitter to the input of another splitter down the line, this is a bad idea. If your splitter has two output ports, then you lose 3.5 dB-3.7 dB between the input and each output in the best case. If you want to feed multiple TVs, then setup a distribution amplifier as close to the point where the antenna lead-in cable enters your home. Try to use a distribution amplifier that has as many output ports as your have TVs. Run a cable from the amplifier to each TV. If the amplifier has any excess output ports, be sure to place terminator caps on them.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2012, 2:02 AM   #5
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Install a CM3418 , 8 way distribution amp in place of the 8 way splitter. Put 75 ohm termination caps on unused output ports of the CM3418. http://www.channelmasterstore.com.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2012, 2:07 AM   #6
jon54321

Now I'm a little confused. Do I need a distribution amplifier with ports for all my tvs AND an Antennas Direct CPA-19 or do they do the same thing?
Old 2-Mar-2012, 2:18 AM   #7
Electron

Do not use a preamp and a distribution amp. Only use the Distribution amplifier. CM3418.
Old 2-Mar-2012, 6:47 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

I do agree with the advise to terminate unused splitter ports.

I own a CM-3418... and a CM-3410. (I have more than one antenna.) The same amplifier is used in both, the 3418 also has an 8-way splitter built in. I see no need for you to by an 8-way splitter, the one you have works.

The CPA-19 is more expensive, but theoretically better because it has a lower noise figure and easy to place close to the antenna, thus accessing the signal before loss in the down-lead. The CM3410 could be placed in the attic if there is power available, but the CPA-19 is designed to be powered remotely.

Bottom line, pick one of the options, there is going to be very little measurable difference in the final results.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2012, 5:07 PM   #9
jon54321

Thanks for all the helpful input. I purchased the 3418 last night and the terminator caps, so hopefully I can get it hooked up soon and see if it makes a difference.
Old 3-Mar-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Electron

Installing the antenna on the roof Will Improve Reception. Here are some roof top antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com. Buy the ronard mounts at solidsignal by typing the word , ronard , in the search box at solidsignal or buy from ronard.