TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jan-2012, 9:05 PM   #1
cmgray74@gmail.com

Questions...Reception...Additional antenna?

All,

(I do not know a how lot about antennas...I know the topic is long winded but I want everyone to get a good feeling for what I am dealing with....Please Help!)

I have the following setup currently;

High Quality Digicon Connector Quad Shield Coax Cable- 50ft (from tower just prior to entering the house)

Winegard HD 8200U High Defintion Platinum VHF/UHF/FM Antenna (HD8200U)
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...enna-(HD-8200U)

Channel Master CM 9554 Antenna Rotor Wire for CM9521A Rotor

Channel Master CM 9521A Complete Antenna Rotator System with Infra-Red Remote Control

Invisible Multi-Room Remote Extender Frequency 433 (LRRX)

The antenna is on about 30+ foot tower attached/implanted in the ground to 75 foot long ranch home. The ranch home is built out of black glass block (built 1949) with concrete mortar and there is a inch of mortar on the outside of the house. Looks like stucco house but it is much more solid. The interior is 2X4 with Fiberglass insulation and 5/8 drywall. In short no antenna means very-very little reception (FM/TV).

There is also a lightning protector unit built in the Coaxial line just before it enters the house and there is also two boxes I assume are amplifiers of some sort. The tower and the amplifiers existed from the previous owner (fairly new items from looks). I know the one assumed amplifier is used if cable or antenna is being utilized in the home as the home has a center junction area for all cable\antenna. Longest run of cable is approximately 75 feet. Basically to hook cable to the house one calls the cable company and flips a switch in the attic. The second assumed amplifier box feeds the livingroom TV only. Both currently are plugged in and running to wall outlets.

There are trees in the area worth mentioning;
one around the 73 degree point (within 25 feet of tower - branches not large but definetly there) and another around the 270 degree mark (140 feet away - large branches - very-very big tree (multi tree base cottonwood)

The area is a suburban.

Here is the Signal Analysis report;
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9528fc85f96

Overall the antenna brings in what I expect. We find ourselves watching mostly the channels in the Detroit Area (North Ch 2.1,50.1) and the Local Channels (mostly between 45-73 degree). But the redirecting of the antenna, as the Winegard HD8200U is a directional antenna, is somewhat bothersome particularly to the younger people in the family.

The home is having some construction done on the opposite side of the house. I am considering placing an additional antenna during the construction in the attic (Approximately 14ft off ground). I will connect it to the exisiting antenna using some kind of biplexer(?).

I have in my position a Winegard MS2000 Metrostar Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna (MS-2000).
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=615798301705

The antenna was from a seasonal use trailer that we no longer utilize.

Finally the questions;

Would this antenna reduce the directing of the HD8200U antenna for local channels, assuming I fix the HD8200U toward the Detroit channels?

Would the reception be any better for channels like 27.1 (it can be hit or miss sometimes if the antenna is aimed for more local channels).

If the MS2000 antenna is not going to work, would there be a better attic antenna to use? (The antenna must be maintained inside house attic)

What biplexer would you suggest for this project?

Last thing, as I would like to use the antenna with my stereo is there any product that allows one to connect a 75 ohm connector to both the TV antenna (75ohm) and FM Radio (two wire).

Thanks for the help,
Chris
cmgray74@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 4:34 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

First, the bad news: you cannot combine antennas like you want to. You must either run a parallel distribution system with a/b switches at each TV, or combine the second antenna into the existing cabling with a Jointenna tuned for channel 27. There is probably enough signal for that station to use the Metrostar in the attic.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 3:32 PM   #3
cmgray74@gmail.com

More Questions...

Dave\All,
I am not doubting what you say (trying to understand - Comes natural I am software engineer)... but it brings up some more questions from what I have seen around town on other towers...

Around town I have seen towers that have two or in some cases 3 antennas on a single tower. Are these systems all running in parallel to each other utilizing seperate cables with a switch setup? (What are these setups seperate bands (AM/FM/UHF/VHF)

So the Diplexer, similar to the below link, to hook the two antennas together is not going to help/make the two antenna approach possible?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...2)&c=Diplexers and Taps&sku=

My house is wired using 75 ohm cable wiring. Each of the cables connect to what appears as a amp on the opposite side of the proposed new antenna. Then the amp is connected to the single line that goes to the antenna. Is there something we could swap out, say the amp that would allow two antenna feeds? (Don't mind running another line from one side of house to the other)

Also still looking for connector to take my antenna 75 ohm connector to both the TV antenna (75ohm) and FM Radio (two wire) on a single 75 ohm connection. Is this possible\available? Thinking I could do a splitter and then one goes to TV and the other gets the 75ohm/2 wire connector. Would that even work?

As the system is fairly new to us... is there a degree location we can point the HD8200U antenna that would allow us to get the best reception (most channels)?

Thanks for dealing with a newbie,
Chris
cmgray74@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote