TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jul-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
ledcomp

Antenna in 91355

Antenna in 91355
I need to install an antenna at our house. There are 2 problems. First, we are in a valley so reception is very bad. Second, the HOA will not allow an antenna on the roof, I can put it on the exterior wall just below the roof peak or preferably in the attic.

Antennaweb.org reports that no TV stations are available in this area.
TVfool says that I can get a few stations.

I was thinking of using the Terk HDTVo or a directional patch antenna.

My location is 34.38,-118.54

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbea268262c78

Thanks
ledcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Please either check your link in your post or rerun your TVFool report and post the new link. I got a "page does not exist" error with what you posted. If you do rerun, I strongly suggest using the "start MAPS" option so you can ensure that the receive location pointer is actually at your location (zoom in as needed - it's a Google map).

As far as the HOA goes, if you actually own the roof, as in a townhouse, then you have, by Federal law, the right to install a TV antenna on it.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jul-2010, 6:48 PM   #3
ledcomp

New link

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe7d0973f1c4

I know that I can put an antenna on the roof but the HOA thinks that they can stop me. I just don't want to start a war with them.

Thanks
ledcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2010, 3:14 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

Oh, dear. You will have little success with over-the-air reception (3-5 stations, not all networks). What success you will have will require a large antenna mounted on the roof - no other option.

Note that your best signals are all VHF - they are the ones that can bend over the mountains the best. However, you are so far in the shadows that you're not getting much signal. Click on one of the stations in the table of your report to pop up a graphic that shows the terrain profile between you and Mt. Wilson.
Old 8-Jul-2010, 4:20 PM   #5
John Candle

Smile Reception

A large roof top tv antenna pointed at magnetic compass reading 100 and 99. Will get you many tv stations. Here is the Federal Law that says Yes you can put a television antenna on your roof. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jul-2010, 5:32 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

Many stations? I'm a little dubious about that. It's possible that with the highest gain antenna, some UHF stations will appear, but reliability will be an issue. Almost certainly KCBS will be a no-show and KNBC will be iffy. This will be well over a $100 investment.