TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 24-Aug-2019, 4:03 AM   #1
John951

Mounting options

Hope I’m on the right thread and thanks in advance for any help.

I’m going to mount a Winegard HD7698P on my roof at the peak. I need at least five foot mast. I’ve been looking at tripods etc... would like opinions on best or better options... my concern is that the peak of roof I need to mount over is not accessible. I’m pretty confident I can find the trusses from the roof but I definitely don’t want a mount that doesn’t give me the options to hit them and wind up just lagged into the deck boards. I’m after any and all good options right now I have a ANT-751 and channel’s come in and out so go big or go home.
Thanks again
John951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2019, 1:20 PM   #2
JoeAZ

Greetings, I cannot help but wonder if a stud finder might
be a solution????
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2019, 8:26 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

budh9534 on AVS had a similar tripod problem. He wanted two legs on one side of the peak to be 32 inches apart to match the rafters, and the other leg would be on the other side of the peak at the middle rafter for 16 inch spacing.

The first tripod he bought didn't match the rafter spacing, but the second one did.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...go-help-2.html

posts 32 and 37

Professional installers tap on the roof and listen for a change in sound at the rafter.

Don't forget the pitch pads for waterproofing.

Please be careful.

Last edited by rabbit73; 24-Aug-2019 at 8:40 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 2:48 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I have drilled through the roof deck and then in the attic added 2X4 or heavier stock as a backer cleat to lag or bolt through. But if I'm understanding your post, you don't have attic access??? I have had limited success using an ultrasonic stud finder on the roof, there's a lot of material to penetrate... shingles, vapor-barrier and deck.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Aug-2019 at 2:51 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2019, 8:14 PM   #5
John951

Yeah, where I need to mount is over a vaulted ceiling so there will be no way to access that area of the attic. I’m not worried about finding and hitting the roof trusses/studs. I guess what I’m really after is information on finding a high quality mount that gives me some flexibility in positioning the legs over the trusses and can hold up the HD7698P with at least a 5ft possibly longer mast. Again thanks for the advice.

PS I went to the link rabbit 73 gave me but I couldn’t find specifics on that mount might just be me through.

Last edited by John951; 26-Aug-2019 at 8:18 PM. Reason: More information
Old 26-Aug-2019, 8:34 PM   #6
John951

Apologies I went back to that post and dug a little better and the tripod was a winegaurd SW-0010 which is one I have been looking at. Just trying to make sure I get something that will work worry free before I put holes in my roof....
Old 27-Aug-2019, 5:41 PM   #7
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

10 ft tripod

Damn, the vaulted ceiling makes it hard to get all three feet lined up with A rafter. What I've got to say probably won't help you but maybe somebody in the group can use this information

One of my arrays has a 10 ft tripod. I had trouble lining the three legs with the roof rafters. Only one leg would contact the rafter and I had to put the screws through the roof to locate the other two legs. After I had the pilot holes drilled I was able to know where the mounting bolts would go and put two by sixes between rafters just under the plywood of the roof. Then I ran large 3/8" screws through the rafters into the two-by-sixes between the rafters. Once I was done, I re-drilled the holes for the tripod feet.

I have a truss type attic with a shallow pitch. You have to climb in and out of the trusses and there's no headroom. Even at the peak of the roof you can't stand up. I realize you have no access to your attic, in fact I don't think you even have an attic. If yours is the old roof type with one by fours under the shingles a tripod should mount to that. And like rabbit said, make sure you use the tar pads. I also sprayed mine with Flex Seal, the black tar spray can formula. It really penetrates and seals well.

Every year I go on my roof and just for the hell of it I spray each foot of the legs of the tripod with Flex Seal. If you need to go say 10 feet or more (20' mast) above the 10 foot tripod you could use guy wires to take the wind load off of the tripod.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 10-Sep-2019 at 11:42 AM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote