TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Nov-2013, 2:24 AM   #1
korzal

help with first antenna purchase

my cable company has finally scrambled our local channels so I'm looking to purchase an antenna. I will admit that I am a complete novice to this. I'm primarily hoping to get NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC (also CW and PBS if possible). I live in a 1st floor apartment so an outdoor or roof antenna is pretty much a no-go. Budget is important to me, so I was thinking of something like a Winegard Freevision. Not sure if that would be powerful enough for CBS and ABC. I have a window that faces northwest, but with a 2 story apartment building directly across the street.

suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated!!!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae8ce0eae264
korzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2013, 4:58 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd suggest you try a Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa) .

If you have exclusive use of a balcony or porch area, the FCC rules provide protection of your right to place an antenna there. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2013, 6:07 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
------
Put the HDTVi antenna in/at the window and aim the antenna at about North ~ North West.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas.

www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

-------

The next time you move , consult Tvfool and move to a place that good unobstructed views in directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Mar-2014 at 4:00 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Mar-2014, 5:41 PM   #4
korzal

i know this thread is pretty old by now, but I finally got around to purchasing a Terk HDTVi antenna to replace a cheapy loop antenna that was given to me for free.

In addition to Fox, NBC with the cheap antenna, i was able to also get CW and CBS (just barely with CBS). The ONLY channel I'm missing that i was really hoping for was ABC.

ABC is VHF and 28.5 miles away...is there any indoor antenna worth trying that could pick this up? Would the Terk HDTVa work, or would that distort my other channels?

Again, my windows face N-NW, my porch is a no-go as it is on the south side of my apartment. Thanks for the help.
Old 4-Mar-2014, 7:25 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
You can connect a , Winegard , LNA-100 Boost amplifier.

Also ABC is on channel 10 , the Rods of the HDTVi antenna are what receive VHF channels 2 thru 13 , extend them out and adjust them in to various angles of , V's.

ABC is to the North West direction so can aim the HDTVi antenna to the North West. And also aim the HDTVi antenna other directions , and put the HDTVi antenna at other locations.

It is a Game of trying to get some reception and reliable reception.

--------------

Can also move to a apartment that has windows and a balcony with good views to the , north west , north , north east , east.
Old 4-Mar-2014, 9:27 PM   #6
tomfoolery

Have you tried tuning the dipole for the wavelength of channel 10? Lay the two elements horizontal, in a straight line, and set the tip to tip length to about 29" (half wave is a little over 30", but electrically the elements look longer). Position it perpendicular to the direction the signal is coming from. And keep it away from electronics, including the TV.

It's a long shot, but since you have it, you'd might as well tune it for the wavelength you're trying to receive.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2014, 6:20 PM   #7
korzal

Thanks for your suggestion. I had set it to the 29" length but was doing a V shape. I just tried horizontal, in a bunch of different places.... no luck unfortunately. I have 30 days to return this to Amazon, so I was entertaining the thought of purchasing a couple different antennas to see if I have better luck with another one, unless you guys think it's fruitless.
Old 5-Mar-2014, 8:25 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

If the HDTVi isn't getting the job done, do you have room for a small outdoor antenna (on top of a book case or the top shelf of a closet)? The RCA ANT-751R and Antennacraft HBU-11 are fairly compact.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2014, 9:16 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
-----
Put the antenna in/at the North West window , and run a long coax from the antenna to the Tv.

--------------

Digital Tv Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf