TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2013, 6:10 PM   #1
csjenkins

Inconsistent receiption

Hello everyone!! I just cut the cable (literally) and am fully OTA now with DVD players to stream Netflix and Hulu.

I bought a MOHU SKY Antennae and placed it in my attic, running the single through the existing coax infrastructure in the house.

To my delight, the HD Insignia television in my bedroom got 38 channels from DC and Baltimore.

That said, I also have two Toshiba HD televisions which are only getting 6 and 11 channels respectively. On all three sets I am using the built-in Tuner.

I'm not very technical with this stuff. I would assume if one TV is getting 38 channels then 38 channels worth of signal are available to the other two as well. The biggest problem is that 38 channels are going into the bedroom, but only 11 into the main TV in the house. I'd just switch the two and forget about it, but there is a rather large size difference.

Any suggestions on what I should try? Would converter boxes boost the results? I did some direct testing between the antennae and the one getting 6 channels and shortening the path or giving it 100 percent of the signal didn't help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking forward to my first month without a DirecTV bill!!! This is a great site and a tremendous resource.
csjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2013, 9:49 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It would be very helpful to see your TV Fool report, Thanks.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
csjenkins

TV Fool report attached

I've attached the report. Thank you for the reply.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (131.6 KB, 600 views)
Old 4-Sep-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
teleview

The provided tvfool report is the default 10 feet antenna height above ground.

To see is signal strengths improve with higher antenna height please provide a tvfool radar report with a antenna height of 25 feet above ground.

25 feet above ground is a reference antenna height that provides a good idea of what is receivable.

Like the other Question Askers do.

Please provide a Live and Active tvfool radar report , not a picture of a tvfool report.

Do not delete the picture of the tvfool radar report.

Last edited by teleview; 5-Sep-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 9-Sep-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
csjenkins

Ok, I'm following you now. I think you guys want to see this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aed73825feae

So again the issue is that one TV gets 38 channels and the two others get an average of 8. All are using just the internal TV tuner. No receivers or converter boxes or whatever.

Would converter boxes help with getting more channels in this case?
Old 10-Sep-2013, 2:00 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Your testing suggests that the tuner getting 38 programs is a superior quality tuner. Member tripelo has posted the results of their side by side comparison of several SD converter boxes. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13236&page=4 post 67.

Channel Master and Epivision are a couple of names that come to mind when HD converter options are needed.

Have you tried testing the performance of the antenna outside, clear of obstructions?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote