TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Dec-2012, 2:58 AM   #1
equired

What kind of antenna should I get?

Here's my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc492e22a15466

According to the "signal strengths and coverage overlays" in the "Interactive TV Coverage Browser", we're in a "blue" area, so "it's probably necessary to install a good antenna on the roof".

My question: which kind of antenna?

Possibly irrelevant details:
  • We don't want to spend much.
  • Presently we can barely receive KSCI, KILM, and KJLA, which the principal viewer wants to watch. (Maybe also others, too, but we can't get them to be sure.) The poor reception from our rabbit ears (radio shack 1500254) may due to the TV being mounted on the south inside wall of the house, and most stations are to the Northwest (acc. to Google maps).
  • A long gone previous tenant installed a roof antenna (I'm guessing pre-HDTV), but later someone put in satellite dishes.
  • This is regarding a one story wood frame house with stucco exterior and an attic and asphalt shingles and a chimney.
equired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2012, 6:07 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Is the 'roof antenna' still on the roof? If so, does it appear to be free of damage and corrosion? Can you post a photo of it. (If it's the right type and in serviceable condition, you may already have the majority of your project finished. There are examples of 20+ year old antennas serving well, the switch to digital transmission did not make all older antennas obsolete.

The correct roof mounted antenna could provide the majority of the LA television signals. That you can see KJLA gives me great hope that a roof mounted antenna will do quite well.

If I was starting from scratch, I would mount a 10' mast on the chimney, then place a Winegard HD7698P at the top, pointing at 300° per my compass. If the cable from the antenna to the TV is more than 20 feet long I would add an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2012, 4:27 PM   #3
equired

Yes, I meant "on the roof".

Here's are a couple of pics taken from the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4846.jpg (50.4 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4847.jpg (83.1 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4849.jpg (43.6 KB, 631 views)

Last edited by equired; 6-Dec-2012 at 6:42 PM.
equired is offline   Reply With Quote