TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Nov-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
wbelk7777

Which Antenna Setup Should I Go With?

I’m looking for input on the best antenna solution for my area. I’ve attached a picture of the stations that I want to pickup. The stations that I’m trying to pickup are in the center of the red V that I’ve drawn. The antenna will be mounted about 25ft off the ground. I would like for the antenna to be fixed, so that I don’t have to move it to pick different stations. Please look over the options that I’m considering below. I’m looking for any recommendations and thoughts. Thanks for the help.

Here is my TV Fool Radar Plot Report Link

Option 1:
A combo VHF/UHF antenna like the AntennaCraft HD1850 with a Channel Master CM7777 Titan2 Mast Mounted Pre-Amplifier

AntennaCraft HD1850

Channel Master CM7777 Titan2

Option 2:

Combining a VHF High Band Antenna (like the Antennacraft Y10-7-13) with a UHF Only Antenna (like the Channel Master 4228HD) with a Channel Master CM7777 Titan2 Mast Mounted Pre-Amplifier

Antennacraft Y10-7-13

Channel Master 4228HD

Channel Master CM7777 Titan2

Option 3:

I’m open to suggestions. Whether you want to modify the two options above or come up with something completely different, I’d like to hear your ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tvstations.jpg (237.9 KB, 649 views)

Last edited by wbelk7777; 26-Nov-2012 at 2:42 PM.
wbelk7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
teleview

In addition to the -Picture- of the tvfool radar plot report , Please also post a live and active tvfool radar plot report like the other question askers do.
Old 25-Nov-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

The CM-7777 in current production lacks the dual input of it's earlier design. I think Channel Master should have changed the model number given such a drastic design change but that's just my opinion. Regardless of which version of the CM-7777 you have access to, I believe it would be at risk of overload. Channel Master is clear in their documentation that the CM-7777 is a weak signal amplifier, your TVFR indicates a few signals that don't fall into the class of 'weak signals'.

As teleview has requested already, a link to your TVFR is more helpful because it has links to path profile and pending data.

Based on what you've provided thus far, I would opt for an Antennas Direct DB4e and an Antennacraft Y10713 combined with a standard UVSJ, then into an Antennas Direct CPA-19.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Nov-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2012, 5:59 AM   #4
wbelk7777

Thank you for your replies. Here is my TV Fool Radar Plot Report Link

Just for information purposes, I have the older version of the Channel Master 7777 amplifier, it has separate inputs for the VHF and UHF antennas. I'm willing to replace the amplifier with a better one to get the best reception possible.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by wbelk7777; 25-Nov-2012 at 6:06 AM.
Old 26-Nov-2012, 2:36 PM   #5
wbelk7777

Groundurmast,

Out of curiosity, why did you recommend a 4 bay antenna (Antennas Direct DB4e) over an 8 bay? I thought that an 8 bay would have had a higher gain.

Is there anything that I should be looking for when picking out a high band VHF antenna?

Which antenna VHF or UHF should I mount on top? How much space should I put between the antennas?

Thanks.
Old 26-Nov-2012, 3:52 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The DB4e is a design optimized for real CH-14 through 51, it also has a broad forward beam compared to 8-bay antennas.

The DB-8 is has a relatively narrow forward beam and is an older design optimized for real CH-14 through 69.

The two antennas are very close in gain performance.

Try for no less than 3' of separation between the UHF and H-VHF antennas. More separation will result in less interaction between the two antennas.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-2012, 8:17 PM   #7
wbelk7777

Does it matter which antenna I put on top of the other?