TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Aug-2014, 7:45 PM   #1
mlmorg

Great signal except for one channel

Hey folks,

I have KDL-V40XBR1 TV and a simple RCA ANT111F antenna and receive great signal (95%, 30 SnR, 44% AGC) for all the major networks except for NBC (41%, 0 SNR, 65% AGC) which doesn’t display at all. This is because the NBC tower is in a different location than all the others — it’s 5 miles South while the others are about 1 mile West. I live in an apartment and my windows face, unfortunately, North with a bit of a hill just South of me. Here is my TV Signal analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f6a18a17ba0

I’m wondering if I can get some recommendations on an antenna to upgrade to to try to get a signal for NBC. I may be able to put an antenna just outside a window but I can’t put anything on the roof, so a somewhat small antenna would be ideal. It may not be possible to get a signal for this channel because of my location, orientation, etc. but I thought I might as well try!

Thanks in advance for any advice y’all can provide.
mlmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 9:42 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you correctly adjusted the dipole rods for reception of real CH-12? http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're on the wrong side of several hills (Glen Park/Diamond Heights area) - Mt San Bruno is on the the other side, you're on the wrong side of the building, and you're getting saturated with all the TV and FM stations on Sutro.

Your odds aren't good for an indoor antenna. The particular one you do have has a particularly deficient method of VHF element combining, the worst I've ever seen of all the antennas I've taken apart. I guess that's to be expected for the price.

Quite frankly, the best VHF element on any indoor(able) element I've found in the year I've been doing in-house competitive evaluations is the one on our C2V. Not a single one of the VOXX (RCA) or Jasco (GE) indoor antennas with rabbit ears have even come close.

Would I suggest our C2V for your location? It's your best shot, but your location has serious impairments for any indoor antenna and it's pretty much impossible to estimate ho much, if any, of KNTV's signal is actually present in your apartment and if it's of adequate strength and quality for reception

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 6:26 AM   #4
mlmorg

@GroundUrMast yes I have but it unfortunately doesn't make a difference. I've also tried the antenna around different windows in the apartment, but that didn't help either.

@ADTech thanks for the advice. I assumed it might be a long shot.

I actually realized tonight that I could direct an antenna towards the south / southwest by placing the antenna outside of my bathroom window but it would be a bit obstructed by a building next door. I may try out the ANT751 and/or C2V just to see what happens.
Old 29-Aug-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
teleview

+=>

What floor is the apartment??

What is the top floor??

What directions do , patios / balconies , face??
Old 30-Aug-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
mlmorg

I'm on the top floor of the building (3rd floor). Living room windows face north. I have a fire escape that faces west but there's not much clearance between it and the building next door.

I ended up purchasing a C2V to see if I could get any reception for 11-1 but didn't get any better results than with the ANT111F. I pointed it both north and south (by way of the fire escape but, again, the building next door obstructs the view south).
Old 31-Aug-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
Tower Guy

Perhaps the strong FM stations from Sutro are overloading your TV set on channel 12. If so an FM band rejection filter would fix the problem. They cost $ 3.99 at Antennas Direct.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2014, 4:20 AM   #8
mlmorg

Tried adding 2 FM traps but they didn't help get a signal for 11-1 (they did provide better reception for a few other channels though).

Seems as though a simple upgrade won't be possible for me. Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it.