TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Mar-2015, 5:12 PM   #1
lrkuta

Considering a Winegard MS-2002 360 Metrostar

Here is my TVfool report; http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f02c036d9556

I currently get channels 62,21,7 and 4 with a cheap Ebay antenna and I am trying to add channel 13 which is in the opposite direction of my current channels, so I am looking for a Multi or Omni directional antenna.

Anyone have experience with the Winegard Ms-2002? I thought I may be able to pick up channel 13 since it is a Omni directional antenna. I plan to mount the antenna in my garage attic which would be around 12 ft from ground level.

Thanks in advance.
lrkuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2015, 7:01 PM   #2
Tower Guy

WLOS is too weak for an omnidirectional antenna mounted in an attic.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2015, 9:08 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Your first TV Fool report is flagged, "WARNING: Address was only resolved to block level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates."

Please consider reviewing the following, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 and then posting two more reports, one based on the proposed 12' AGL and another base on 25' AGL.

Thanks

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2015, 9:34 PM   #4
lrkuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your first TV Fool report is flagged, "WARNING: Address was only resolved to block level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates."

Please consider reviewing the following, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 and then posting two more reports, one based on the proposed 12' AGL and another base on 25' AGL.

Thanks
Here is the 12' report; http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0b3ae4926b6

Here is the 25' report;http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f08493971dab

Thanks for your help.
Old 24-Mar-2015, 9:35 PM   #5
lrkuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
WLOS is too weak for an omnidirectional antenna mounted in an attic.
What you recommend instead of an omnidirectonal antenna?
Old 25-Mar-2015, 3:25 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Assuming that you want to avoid a rotator I'd suggest a 4 bay UHF aimed roughly south plus a medium sized VHF antenna (Y5-7-13) aimed at CBS plus a similar antenna aimed at ABC. Couple the two VHF antennas with a jointenna a for channel 13 and then add the UHF antenna with a UVSJ.
Old 25-Mar-2015, 7:46 PM   #7
lrkuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Assuming that you want to avoid a rotator I'd suggest a 4 bay UHF aimed roughly south plus a medium sized VHF antenna (Y5-7-13) aimed at CBS plus a similar antenna aimed at ABC. Couple the two VHF antennas with a jointenna a for channel 13 and then add the UHF antenna with a UVSJ.
Thank you for your input and yes I do want to avoid using a rotator. You are suggesting a 3 antenna system with jointenna for Ch 13 and a VHF combiner. Any brand of antenna I should use or ones that I should avoid? I currently have an Ebay special that picks up the UHF very well but Ch 7 VHF is spotty and Ch 13 not at all. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase these antennas? What would your go to place be?
Old 25-Mar-2015, 8:23 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
jointenna a for channel 13
Good luck finding one of those. CM no longer has them in stock. However, they do still show the Ch 7-12 Jointennas available.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Mar-2015, 3:20 PM   #9
lrkuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Good luck finding one of those. CM no longer has them in stock. However, they do still show the Ch 7-12 Jointennas available.
I have googled for a Jointenna Ch 13 but no luck so far. Would there be reception problems if I did not use a Jointenna? The antenna configuration suggested by Tower Guy was a three antenna system with two of the VHF antennas pointed in opposite directions. I can always set it up without the Jointenna and see what happens but I am just wondering what your thoughts are.
Old 26-Mar-2015, 3:41 PM   #10
ADTech

Whoops! Looks like CM doesn't have them available any more after all.

Personally, I'd put up the high-VHF antenna aimed at WLOS an see if WSPA comes in off the back side anyway making the second VHF antenna and its combining a moot issue.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 29-Mar-2015, 12:37 AM   #11
lrkuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Whoops! Looks like CM doesn't have them available any more after all.

Personally, I'd put up the high-VHF antenna aimed at WLOS an see if WSPA comes in off the back side anyway making the second VHF antenna and its combining a moot issue.
Thanks. I am not sure I will be able to get WLOS at all but I will try. Along with my cheap Ebay antenna I also have a very old 130 inch boom antenna I will point in the WLOS direction first. If that monster antenna is not able to pick it up then I believe nothing will. I may have problems maneuvering it in my attic.
Old 29-Mar-2015, 3:35 PM   #12
Tower Guy

If you find that you need a channel 13 Jointenna post back here. I have one around that I don't need.
Old 9-Jun-2015, 1:40 PM   #13
lrkuta

Hi All, I am looking for help getting a better signal for one channel, WLOS CH 13 VHF in Asheville, NC. I can get Channels 4,7,21 and 62 without an Antenna, all of these channels except 7 and 13 are UHF. I tried my cheap Ebay antenna and an old 130" boom antenna but neither brought in Ch 13.

I purchased a Antenna's Direct Clear Stream 5 VHF antenna, pointed it at Ch 13 tower and I am able to get CH 13 sporadically, it also brought in Ch 33 as well as channels 4,7,21,62. I believe Ch 13 and 33 are on the same tower per DTV.gov.

Signal strength for channels 4,7,21,62 are all somewhere between 80 to 97%. Channel 13 signal strength is 10 or 20 % and Ch 33 is around 30 to 40%.

I have tested the signal strength for Ch 13 by directly attaching my TV to the antenna with a 10ft cable and it will vary from 0 to 30%. The antenna was attached to an 8ft ladder inside my garage. I hope to mount the antenna in my attic but my signal strength is even less in the attic. I may mount it in my garage since I have 11ft ceilings. From the garage the antenna cable goes to the side of my house to a 3 way splitter to feed 3 TVs. The signal strength does drop a little bit going through the splitter but not much.

Here is my TVfool at 12'; http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0b3ae4926b6

I would like to try a preamplifier to increase the signal for Ch 13, without overpowering my other channels.
What would you guys suggest?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 9-Jun-2015, 3:20 PM   #14
ADTech

First things first. Install an FM Filter.

WLOS' signal is forecast to be "very strong". Most likely, you're getting interference, either from FM or some other, less obvious noise source, and it's clobbering WLOS' signal. If you amplify a noisy signal, you get a bigger pile of noisy stuff.

Old 9-Jun-2015, 3:26 PM   #15
lrkuta

Thanks for the reply.
Can you elaborate on what type of FM filter and why you think this will help.
Old 9-Jun-2015, 3:54 PM   #16
lrkuta

Attached is my FMfool image;

Radar-FM.png
Old 9-Jun-2015, 6:40 PM   #17
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrkuta View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Can you elaborate on what type of FM filter and why you think this will help.
If you still have any Radio Shack stores nearby still open, a 15-0024. Otherwise, our FM filter on our web site. Call customer service and see if they can hook you up with one.

Why? Because I've done this enough to have learned (often the hard way) about what's usually most likely to help. Besides, a spectrum analyzer is a lot more expensive so it's worth spending a few minutes or bucks on something inexpensive that has a good chance of working.

Old 10-Jun-2015, 3:41 PM   #18
lrkuta

I will pick up an FM filter and give it a try. I will post my results after I have tried it. Thanks again.
Old 13-Jun-2015, 6:25 PM   #19
lrkuta

Hi all, Just installed the Radioshack FM filter and there was no improvement in the signal. What do you think my next step should be? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 13-Jun-2015, 7:04 PM   #20
ADTech

Are you using the C5 or the cheap ebay special?

Where did you install the FM filter?

Where is the antenna mounted? What direction is it aimed in? What's out in front of it?