TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2011, 6:37 PM   #1
jeh1208

Help in Southern Oregon

Its been about 20 years since I have had an antenna so I am starting over. If possible I would like to put an antenna in the garage attic but could move up to the roof outside if necessary.
Initially I will hook up one tv with a cable run of about 50-60 feet but may want to add a second tv with another 30 foot run from the first set.
There is an existing rg59 cable that runs to the den from the roof and past the garage attic. It is 20 years old but runs inside and under the house in the crawl space to the den. I mounted an indoor/outdoor amplified antenna from Monoprice.com # 4730 with minimal results. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My fool report shows the channels I am interested in are Ch. 5,8,12 all at 306 degrees and 45 miles with the balance all Uhf (26.1,32,48,)at 318 degrees at 8.2 miles ( I can see the towers from my house). Only 12 degrees between the two directions.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4dd77a537ce

Oddly ch. 10 which is the opposite direction (180 degress) comes in when using rabbit ears.

I believe the ch 5 signal (NBC) is also on ch. 32 but not sure.
I have looked at Denny's Tv antenna source online for some ideas.
Sooo. Should I change to rg6 cable, and what antenna do you recommend?
Thanks, Jim
jeh1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 7:14 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Consider replacing the RG-59 first. If any of it has been exposed to the elements, 20 yrs is more than enough exposure to cause problems.

Very compact antennas with built-in amplifiers are almost always a compromise design. If they work, great, but I don't expect much, especially on the lower VHF channels.

If after replacing the coax, you still are not seeing the stations you want, consider a combination antenna such as an HD7015 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

Aimed NW there is a very good chance you will still get CH 10 given how strong the signal is.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2011, 7:53 PM   #3
jeh1208

Thanks for your quick reply, Ground. I know you are right about the rg59 but At my age I was hoping to avoid crawling the house with new cable, but it is probably best in the long run. theHD7015 is 111" wide so that would eliminate the garage attic install as trying to fit between the roof rafters at the proper azmith would be impossible. I would definately need to go outside.
I looked at the denny's antenna service HD Stacker antenna. Would you happen to know anything about it or something smaller that would work. I am assuming it is the channel 5 requirement that is the major problem?

Last edited by jeh1208; 8-Jan-2011 at 7:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 8-Jan-2011, 8:08 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh1208 View Post
I am assuming it is the channel 5 requirement that is the major problem?
That, and channel 10 which is in the opposite direction.

I like the HD7015 too, but I'd add a Y5-713 to it using a channel 10 Jointenna. (Warren Electronics)
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2011, 5:19 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Do Not replace coax with more RG-59 if you can even find any , only use new RG-6. The really old coax has a foil shield that was not bonded to the foam or if you have the really old stuff , the plastic that is between the loose foil shield and the center wire. . Or even the old coax that has no foil shied , just braid. I wonder if one can even buy those old split connectors with the separate crimp ring. . Years ago the phone and coax wiring was all done loop/daisy chain , what a nightmare !

Last edited by John Candle; 9-Jan-2011 at 6:14 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2011, 3:28 PM   #6
jeh1208

OK replace the rg59 with rg6 it is. Not looking forward to the crawlspace experience but will do it. The new cable run down the duct chase and under the house should last a long time out of the weather. Any comments about the stacker antenna from Denny's, or another one that I can make work in the garage attic? I can go outside if I need to...........Jim
Old 9-Jan-2011, 4:19 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Mounting high, in the clear gives you the best chance of success regardless of which antenna you choose.

I won't bad mouth the Denny's HD Stacker nor will I endorse it. It's an unconventional design (that could be good or bad, I've found no independent testing to judge either way). It seems expensive to me ($129 + S&H). More importantly, The Denny web site makes a fairly obscure note that the antenna is designed to receive high VHF channels (7 - 13). Lacking support for Low VHF (2 - 6) explains why it is physically narrower. (The lower the real channel number, the longer the active antenna elements need to be.) You will likely have problems receiving KOBI (NBC CH5) with the HD Stacker. I'm not too concerned about K04EO (CH 4), it's a translator for KTVL (CBS CH 10).

I still recommend the HD7015. If you do not receive CH 10 reliably, you can do as T.G. suggests, adding a Y5713 with a CH 10 Jointenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Jan-2011 at 4:39 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-2011, 2:39 PM   #8
jeh1208

Thank you for the advice........Jim