TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Dec-2010, 1:04 PM   #1
okhomer

Dropping DTV

Hello all. I am needing some help. I am dropping DirecTV and have an antenna installed in the attic. The antenna I have currently is http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and it is working for the most part. Channels 54, 45/46, and 13 all come in clear. Channels 11 and 2 do but channel 11 comes in clear most of the time but so often breaks up. According to the map all the channels I want are all in the same direction. Do you know why I am having a problem? Do I need a bigger antenna? Say the DB4 Antenna or ClearStream5 from Antennas Direct or something like that? Please help. Any other info I may have forgotten to mention please ask. Thanks.

I have tried Rabbit ears and work sometimes and then I have to get up and move them when I change the channel. I know...I am being lazy.

My set is...

Antenna for attic to an 8 port coaxe hub in the basement-HDHomerun in the basement to network hub to other PC. And other cables going through the house to TV in case all signals are taking up on the HDHomerun.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da324aa876f7b0

Last edited by okhomer; 21-Dec-2010 at 1:13 PM. Reason: Added some info.
okhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2010, 1:51 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okhomer View Post
Do you know why I am having a problem? Do I need a bigger antenna? Say the DB4 Antenna or ClearStream5 from Antennas Direct or something like that?
Your amplified antenna cannot handle the strong signals that you have. The DB4 and C-5 as a combo would work, but would cost more than necessary.

Consider one of these:
ANT751
HBU-22
HD 7694P
Aim it at 130° +/-

If you are willing to install on the roof, you could buy a second antenna for the DC stations.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2010, 4:32 PM   #3
okhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

If you are willing to install on the roof, you could buy a second antenna for the DC stations.
If I do use a 2nd antenna would I need to run a 2nd line or use a spliter?
Old 21-Dec-2010, 4:49 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Two lines; A/B switch.
Old 21-Dec-2010, 4:49 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
I am running several HD HomeRun tuners. I presently have one antenna out in the weather and three others in the attic. This allows me to configure the HDHR's in the HTPC SW as four separate sources. There is overlap of most stations, for example, the east antenna is the best choice for CH 44, but I get dependable reception of 44 on the south antenna also. The weaker signals are generally available from only one antenna.

So I run coax from each antenna to my phone / data / TV distribution point, then split as needed to distribute out on coax or CAT5e. I guess you could say I'm using the HDHR's as a software controlled A/B/C/D switch. I feed the best single lineup (my south antenna) to the TV's in the house, which leaves a few channels out, but I can PVR with the HTPC or hook the laptop to the flat screen via HDMI if the grand kids want QUBO.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Dec-2010 at 5:03 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Dec-2010, 7:22 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I guess you could say I'm using the HDHR's as a software controlled A/B/C/D switch.
Nice!

Are their any IPTVs or IP enabled STBs that will catch the UDP packets directly from the HDHomerun?
Old 21-Dec-2010, 8:02 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Nice!

Are their any IPTVs or IP enabled STBs that will catch the UDP packets directly from the HDHomerun?
I don't know, I've not searched for any.

There is good support for both MS Windows XP through Win-7 and Open Source OS and HTPC apps including a variety of Linux distributions, MythTV, VLC, etc. As I understand it, the data stream is just standard MPEG-2 over UDP/IP, nothing proprietary.

An out of the box laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium makes an OK HTPC/DVR with no additional software to install after the HD HomeRun utilities. As usual MS has done some things right and others are funky, like limiting the number of connected tuners to four and presuming that if you want to scan for more channels, only the software should be allowed... no manual input allowed.

So far, it seems to me that the price of a PC is competitive with HD capable STB's -- so I just haven't looked at integration of STB or IPTV equipment. I'm currently focused on a Linux based HTPC build.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Dec-2010 at 8:07 PM.
Old 21-Dec-2010, 9:44 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
As I understand it, the data stream is just standard MPEG-2 over UDP/IP, nothing proprietary.
I've found this for HD security cameras, but there's no user interface and it's expensive. ($1295)
http://www.nlss.com/productsdecoder.html
Old 21-Dec-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
elmo

Quote:
Yeah - was gonna say if the HDHR is the dual tuner type, you could try one antenna on each tuner. I tried that initially when I added a 2nd antenna. Then I got another HDHR so I can support two tuners on each antenna. But as long as you have two tuners, you can enable only the channels you want on each. I run WMC which will automatically tune to the tuner req'd for the channel I select.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Dec-2010, 3:37 PM   #10
okhomer

Yeah i will be getting another tuner at some point but I was worried about over laps. Let me explain. What if I a watching something on channel 11 and my wife wants to watch something else off the same tuner she would be be able b/c it would be locked. How did you get around that when you only had one?
Old 22-Dec-2010, 3:39 PM   #11
okhomer

Quote:
Your amplified antenna cannot handle the strong signals that you have. The DB4 and C-5 as a combo would work, but would cost more than necessary.

Consider one of these:
ANT751
HBU-22
HD 7694P
Aim it at 130° +/-

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going with the RCA ANT751. Getting from Amazon and should be here today. Can't wait to try it. I will keep you posted.
Old 22-Dec-2010, 5:34 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Yeah i will be getting another tuner at some point but I was worried about over laps. Let me explain. What if I a watching something on channel 11 and my wife wants to watch something else off the same tuner she would be be able b/c it would be locked. How did you get around that when you only had one?
I own three HDHR's because I want to avoid viewing conflicts and I have four antennas, each aimed at different station groups. When I only had one HDHR and three antennas, the HDHR 'belonged' to the DVR. One of us was happy to have programing recorded in the few cases there was a schedule conflict that did not appear at the connected receivers. The receivers in the house are connected to the most complete line-up, my south antenna.

If you have two antennas, each aimed at different station groups, and you want to avoid viewing conflicts, you will need two HDHR dual tuners. The signal from each antenna will need to be split to feed each of the tuner inputs (four HDHR inputs plus any other receivers in the house). One HDHR would be 'yours' and the other would be 'hers'. In either case, tuner 0 would handle the antenna 'X' line-up and tuner 1 would be for the antenna 'Y' line-up.

Old 22-Dec-2010, 8:54 PM   #13
elmo

Quote:
I got a 2nd HDHR soon after! Both are dual tuner, so I have 4 total tuners.

I'm a fan of that little 751 too. Installed one in an attic and it pulls very well.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Dec-2010, 3:07 AM   #14
okhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
I got a 2nd HDHR soon after! Both are dual tuner, so I have 4 total tuners.

I'm a fan of that little 751 too. Installed one in an attic and it pulls very well.
I hope to get a 2nd HDHR soon as well. Maybe might wait for the prime.

Just installed the 751 tonight. WOW!!!! What a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.