TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jun-2014, 7:37 AM   #1
rockroll

Need antenna(s) suggestion for San Rafael, CA

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6c949219782

Want channels at 165-166 degrees from San Francisco (Sutro and San Bruno Towers) and also prefer Sacramento (Walnut Grove) channels from the east 71-74 degrees. I briefly tested with Clearstream C2‑V and GE 24792 from my East facing 3rd story balcony. Depending on -random- angle, I was able to receive channels from San Francisco, Sacramento and even from San Jose/Fremont area.

I can put several antennas in attic (asphalt shingles roof), but would not like installing very long antennas like AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 - hard to point to specific direction.

I would run about 50ft long coax from attic to basement where I have existing runs to 4 rooms (another 30-50 feet).

Ideas that comes from reading various forums, but not sure how much feasible:
1. For UHF – bowtie two panels Extreme Signal HDB8X or AntennasDirect DB8E. Point one panel to San Francisco, and another to Sacramento. Angle between the two about 90 degrees. For VHF: Clearstream C5 or AntennaCraft Y5712 60" and pointing at (not sure). Combine these with UVSJ, and then boost with variable gain pre-amp like 10G212.
2. Use single panel UHF bowtie like HDB4X or DB4 to San Francisco, and UHF Yagi type (Like AntennaCraft MXU47) to Sacramento. Combine these antennas with 1:2 splitter reversed. Use Clearstream C5 (or some other VHF antenna) pointing to Sacramento?? And use UVSJ diplexer to merge VHF and UHF. Pre-amplify combined signal??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Roof install is not an option.
rockroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jun-2014, 8:20 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The DB8E + CS5 + RCA TVPRAMP1R would be my choice to go after the Sutro Tower signals.

That combination would also provide you the tools needed to investigate signal conditions in the Sacramento direction. The DB8E will produce peak gain when both panels are facing the same direction. When aimed in different directions, the antenna will have lower gain but a wider forward beam. If your roof/attic is not as unfriendly to RF signals as most are, you may be able to find a 'split aim' setting that allows for reception from both markets. It's worth trying, but you may find that the weaker signals from Sacramento needing a dedicated high gain antenna that's mounted outside, clear of obstructions.

Worst case, you may find that you need two independent antenna systems, one for the SF market and another for the Sacramento market. If that turns out to be the case, you may need to consider an auxiliary tuner and separate coax runs to keep the two antenna systems from interfering with each other. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 23-Jun-2014 at 8:25 AM. Reason: added aux tuner link
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-2014, 6:44 PM   #3
rockroll

Thanks for suggestion on the setup.

I have VHF C5 antenna on order. Would DB8E be worth of extra cost compared to HDB8X for attic installation? It is about double the price of HDB8X.
rockroll is offline   Reply With Quote