TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jun-2014, 2:12 AM   #1
nekoian

Still having reception problems

I previously had a homemade (fractal) indoor antenna mounted on our window facing the back (where the signal comes from). I would get about 6 channels with 4 (UHF) being very good but still some stuttering. 1 important channel unwatchable (VHF).

I recently purchased and installed up on the roofline one of these:RCA ANT751. My reception has not improved!!!

1/ But because our roofline was angled (like a barn) and I was up high on a ladder I installed it askew by 20 degrees. So not level sideways.

2/ I also have some a house obstruction in my line of sight to the main tower. I have read with a house obstruction, it's not a bad idea to aim at the top of the roofline of the house obstruction but I didn't do that.

3/ Also, instead of one long cable I have 3 connected using these.

4/ I also don't point exactly at the main tower azimuth. Close though, off by maybe 10 - 20 degrees?

Of these 4 problems, which should I tackle first? Second?

I'm pretty surprised that this much larger outdoor antenna (compared to my homemade) and much higher isn't doing any better than my indoor homemade antenna despite these issues. My homemade indoor antenna wasn't pointed any better towards the tower.
nekoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2014, 6:07 AM   #2
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekoian View Post
I previously had a homemade (fractal) indoor antenna mounted on our window facing the back (where the signal comes from). I would get about 6 channels with 4 (UHF) being very good but still some stuttering. 1 important channel unwatchable (VHF).

I recently purchased and installed up on the roofline one of these:RCA ANT751. My reception has not improved!!!

1/ But because our roofline was angled (like a barn) and I was up high on a ladder I installed it askew by 20 degrees. So not level sideways.

2/ I also have some a house obstruction in my line of sight to the main tower. I have read with a house obstruction, it's not a bad idea to aim at the top of the roofline of the house obstruction but I didn't do that.

3/ Also, instead of one long cable I have 3 connected using these.

4/ I also don't point exactly at the main tower azimuth. Close though, off by maybe 10 - 20 degrees?

Of these 4 problems, which should I tackle first? Second?

I'm pretty surprised that this much larger outdoor antenna (compared to my homemade) and much higher isn't doing any better than my indoor homemade antenna despite these issues. My homemade indoor antenna wasn't pointed any better towards the tower.
All of those have the potential to degrade your signal and #3 also has the potential to degrade the signal even more, over the years.

Troubleshooting is much easier, if we can say for sure what our problems aren't.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
teleview

+=>

Please make and post tvfool reports.

Use the Exact address to make and post tvfool reports.

Make the antenna heights in the tvfool reports 25 and 40 feet above ground.