TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Apr-2014, 1:55 AM   #1
hef

antenna recommendation

Hi,
I am looking for a antenna recommendation for my location.
This has to be a attic installation, cannot be exterior.
Thanks,
Hef

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c62797c4ae64
hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Is this an issue of 'WAF' (wife approval factor) or are you thinking you have to obey an HOA rule? The FCC overrules the HOA and protects your right to install and use an antenna to receive OTA TV... http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

A 50' AGL attic is quite unusual... Do you have a five or six story home? Regardless, the conditions shown in your report don't offer a great deal of hope for any antenna in an attic.

If you want to try, the best combination I can think of would be an Antennas Direct DB8E facing about 90° per a compass and optionally, an Antennacraft Y10713 pointed at 347° if you want to try for WHEC & WHAM.

An RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier has inputs for UHF and VHF antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Apr-2014 at 3:28 PM. Reason: formatting
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2014, 6:00 AM   #3
teleview

+=>

50 feet antenna height??

How many floors the building??
Old 28-Apr-2014, 1:53 PM   #4
hef

Thanks for the reply.

Yes its a HOA rule and I prefer not to make a issue out of it.

The 50 AGL was just my guess - this is a one story ranch with the garage attic used as the location for the transmitter. (Should I change the 50 to something less?)

Note there is a window in the garage (i think esthetics) that faces roughly north.
hef
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:29 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Let's see a report based on 10' and another at 25'.

Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:35 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your odds of a successful and reliable attic installation are near zero even if you execute a plan perfectly, there simply isn't much signal available at this location and the attic location will likely make the signals too weak to be usable. If you cannot reconsider that choice, you may wish to stay with alternatives unless you're willing to expend what might end up being considerable effort and expense for what is an uncertain outcome.

A one story ranch with 8' ceilings with a 5/12 roof will usually give an attic that is between 10' and 20' above the ground. Actual height will depend on the size of the ranch, height of the walls, the pitch of the roof, and whether the ground is relatively flat or if it's sloped.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 28-Apr-2014 at 3:37 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2014, 5:37 PM   #7
teleview

+=>

Please make 2 more Tvfool reports with antenna heights of 10 feet and 25 feet above ground.

-------------

Bullies at local hoa's thrive on making people's lives miserable.

The National HOA that HOA's are members of , is in compliance with the Federal Antenna Law.

The Federal Antenna Law Yes you can install a Broadcast Tv of Any Size Antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner as to have Reliable Reception.

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by teleview; 28-Apr-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Jake V

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
The National HOA that HOA's are members of , is in compliance with the Federal Antenna Law.

The Federal Antenna Law Yes you can install a Broadcast Tv of Any Size Antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner as to have Reliable Reception.

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
I can't believe that there are HOA's that are so far behind the times.

I recommend presenting them with the FCC regulation and informing them that you are willing to work with them to choose a suitable location for your TV antenna, and that they update your HOA regulations.

The HOA my townhouse is in updated the regulations regarding antennas in my townhouse community back in the late 1990's. The updated regulations state simply that the preferred location for the antenna mount (TV, Sat Dish, etc.) be on the back roof of the house when possible (with the antenna above the roof line where necessary), that at the peak is fine if necessary, and that the antenna extend past the edge of your roof (meaning it can't hang over the neighbor's house). To my knowledge the HOA has never asked for a TV antenna to be removed (although in a community of 100 homes there are fewer then a dozen antennas). They have asked that a sat dish be removed (the homeowner actually placed it above his front picture window and was told to move it up to the roof since there were no trees blocking the south sky).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Apr-2014, 3:52 AM   #9
teleview

+=>

The Federal Antenna Law does not say that perfered location for a Tv antenna is at the back of the house.

In my opinion this promotes hiding Tv antennas.

Hiding Tv antennas is a good way to have less reliable reception.

Hiding Tv antennas gives more power to the bullies at the Hoa and gives more power to antenna haters.

The Federal Antenna Law does not say that a Tv antenna must just above the peak of the roof.

What the Federal Antenna Law does say is the Tv antenna/s can be up to 12 feet above the peak of the roof.

And even so , many houses do not have a back of the house because can 100% see all sides of the house.

And this all has to do with people that live in Hoa's and etc. .

If you do not live in a Hoa and etc.

Then the rules do not apply to you and you can do what you think is best and you can do what ever is required to have reliable reception.

------------

Here are interesting facts about Hoa's.

Many Hoa's have signed long term contracts with cable companies to provide basic cable service on behalf of those that have no say in the matter.

The Hoa that I live in signed a long term contract with the cable company , before any house were built , before any one lived in the Hoa.

The contract expires June 2015 the contract is for 15 years.

This is Forced cable service that is part of the Hoa fees/dues.

It is Forced cable service because no one can opt out , we are Forced to pay even if not connected to cable system.

Many people have satellite Tv and are not connected to the cable system.

And many people have subscribed to the Teleco provided Tv channels and Teleco Internet and phone service.

The Teleco provided Tv channels are the same as the cable and satelite channels plus a few more channels.

The Teleco is , www.centurylink.com/prismtv

And they pay for the basic cable service and are not connected to the cable system.

The Hoa that I live in tries to tell people they can not have a Tv antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 29-Apr-2014 at 7:50 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 1-May-2014, 1:32 AM   #10
hef

25 ft and 10 ft analysis

25 ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c63cc559ef4a

10 ft
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c61e45cc76fd

My garage attic has a window in it that does provide line of sight to the transmitters at 335 deg.
Old 1-May-2014, 5:46 AM   #11
teleview

+=>

Above the Peak of the Roof , in the clear , so that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North West and East .

Install a , DB8e UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna.

Aim one panel at about 347 magnetic compas direction.

Aim the other panel at about 90 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

---------------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 347 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------------

Install a , www.antennacraft.net , 10G221 preamp.

Connect the DB8e UHF antenna to the UHF connection of the preamp.

Connect the Y10-7-13 VHF antenna to the VHF connection of the preamp.

The FM interference trap of the preamp will be in the , in/on position.

----------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com

----------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Install the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
Use the , ronard(4712-50-10) , 10 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

---------------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception in the directions of reception including the roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install to install the antennas at a location that has therapy amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building in the directions of reception.
Old 1-May-2014, 4:20 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

Your chances of success inside an attic are quite poor. If we were neighbors, you'd see an antenna system on my roof, similar to that described by teleview (and as I describes in my first response).

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-May-2014 at 5:23 PM.
Old 1-May-2014, 4:50 PM   #13
Stereocraig

I finally finished off the last two sections, on one of my towers.

One of my biggest concerns, was for it to be seen by all. LOL!
A 400 watt HPS area light would probably be kind of obnoxious

Last edited by Stereocraig; 1-May-2014 at 4:56 PM.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote