TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2014, 4:39 PM   #1
Sandman614

Cary NC Trying to sever ties

Hopefully I'm not out of luck here. I live in an apt that I can't put an antenna outside. My livingroom faces basically North, there's another apt behind mine and the rest of the apt building to the east. Also I'm surrounded by tall trees on the West and South.
I picked up a GE antenna from target but it sucked so I returned it. I was going to try out the Mohu leaf but saw the AmazonBasics leaf high performance and ordered it.

Sandman614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2014, 7:00 PM   #2
LP2065

Which channels were you able to get with the GE antenna? Were you able to get any of the channels to the east (WRDC-DT, WRAL-TV)? What type of signal strength were you getting. I'm wondering how much the rest of the apartment building is blocking the signal.

FYI, with the indoor flap antennas I found that mounting it higher made a huge difference so try a bunch of locations.
LP2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2014, 7:21 PM   #3
Sandman614

I was able to solidly pick up the unc-tv channels from the west. The rest I couldn't watch more than a second or two before it cut out, crystal clear but choppy. In total the TV tuned 16 (some HD/SD repeats) with the GE antenna. I wasn't able to see signal strength, there isn't a meter that I can find in the menus, LG 47". I have vaulted ceilings and nobody above me so I can mount it higher without issue.
Old 3-Mar-2014, 4:15 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
If the roof is a metal roof the signal will be reduced and blocked.

Up High in the vaulted ceiling install a , http://www.antennacraft.com ,

HBU11k antenna aimed at about 100 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------------

Digital Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Old 4-Mar-2014, 8:16 PM   #5
Sandman614

Just a quick update. I got the AmazonBasics (Mohu) Amplified leaf in today. Hooked it up and it's picking up 17 channels and keeping them mostly watchable sitting flat on top of my entertainment stand. I will hang it up when I get approval from the gf.