TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jan-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Scott1q1

Looking for advice on Antenna/setup

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94a2efc37655

Hello! I have been shopping for an outdoor antenna, planning to cut out cable TV. Hoping to get some advice on antennas that would work well for me, and set-up suggestions. Have done a good bit of reading and shopping, still very confused!

Thanks in advance!
Scott1q1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2014, 8:59 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings Scott,

You have a nice assortment of signal available to you, the trick is you have multiple headings to contend with.

What is your reception situation? Do you intend to go on the roof (many outdoor antennas are in attics)? How many TVs do you want to be served by the antenna? How long do you see your coax runs being? Do you have nearby obstructions to contend with such as trees? Trees and obstructions can cause problems with strong signals forcing you to "go big" when normally you wouldn't.

Your map also includes a variety of signals in low-VHF (real channels 2-6), high-VHF (real channels 7-13) and UHF (channels 14 and up). These recommendations are based on your antenna being outdoors with little to no obstructions the chosen heading.

Since you have the majority of Grand Rapids affiliates with good signal strength - ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and IND around magnetic 330, I would purchase an Antennacraft C290. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=610370581261. This antenna supports low and high VHF along with UHF. This antenna ought to be plenty for receiving locals.

Orientate antenna about magnetic 300, in effect splitting between magnetic 273 and 330.. I would expect to see all the Grand Rapids commercial affiliates above in addition to PBS WGVK.

Without knowing coax run length and how many TVs you want to service, I'll wait for further information.

Lansing signals could be received, however they are on the weaker side and would require a different approach than mentioned above.

You have "easy." If you want Lansing, we can discuss.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2014, 4:35 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
----
Your Tv reception location has receivable Tv stations in all directions.

To receive the Tv stations.

Above the Peak of the Roof so that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the Roof and Building in All Directions.
Install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM5016 All Channel Antenna aimed at about 320 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to a antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com

---------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com

----------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ Air Channels~.

Channel scan for the ATSC Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.

----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception with a Tv Antenna in the directions of reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Your location has reception in all directions.

Some and not all Nevative Affects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the CM5016 All channel antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions including your own roof and building.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 8:09 PM   #4
Scott1q1

Thanks much for the replies!

The antenna will be going onto the roof, with roughly 60' of cable to a splitter, then 10' to one TV and another 60' to a second TV.

No obstructions really in any direction signals would come from, although there is a big tree about 40 feet from the antenna to the SE.

I think we will be happy receiving signals from Grand Rapids, and anything local that's closer. Seems like many of the ones from Lansing are duplicate networks.

I did think about buying one of the multi-directional antennas, with separate plates that can each be aimed a different direction, but it seems like these big antennas would work much better in the direction they cover, is this true?

Thanks again, Scott
Old 24-Jan-2014, 8:41 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Antennas like the DB8e are UHF only by design. You would need to add a separate antenna with VHF capability given the channel assignments used in your area.

Another point to consider, as the panels are adjusted away from the 0 degree position, this type of antenna will produce less peak forward gain. That's not a criticism, just the physics involved. In some cases, the DB8e and similar designs provide an elegant solution... But they aren't a one size fit's all solution.

In this case, I'd start with a single fixed aim antenna as suggested above. You then have the option to add a second, separate system if you want to chase down some additional signal options. A second system could be either fixed aim or rotating, you have a great deal of flexibility... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2014, 9:33 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
----
Directional antenna such as and not limited to the CM5016 antenna receive the best in the forward direction , little less at front angles to antenna , less at back angles to the antenna , less at the back of the antenna.
Directional antennas receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

Look at the , Digital Current Plus Pending Applications Included Radar Plot and see that when the antenna is aimed at about 320 degree magnetic compass direction.
The Tv stations of other directions are at angles to the antenna and back of the antenna.

Most Digital Tv's have Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

The idea is to adjust the antenna a direction so the Tv stations to the front and front angles are received and receive as many Tv stations as possible in other directions by adjusting the antenna aim to get the Tv stations at back angles and back of the antenna.

It is a situation of balance , a game of give and take.

---------

More information , your reception location has receivable Tv Channels in All 3 Tv bands.

The Current Tv channels that being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

Look at the , Digital Current Plus Pending Applications Included Channel List under the , Real Channels , not the (virt) virtual numbers.

The Real Channels are the Real Channels that Transmitted and Received.

The (virt) virtual numbers Are Not real channels even if the virtual number is the same as the Real channel.

( So you ask , why virtual numbers??

The main reason is , when the Tv stations change/d from Analog tramsmissions to Digital transmission , many but not all Tv stations changed to a different channel for Digital transmission.

And the Tv station kept the old channel number , now a virtual number , the reason is Channel Branding , the Tv station has been known by a channel number for long time so the Tv station keeps the old channel number even though the Tv station might be transmitting on a different channel.)

----------------

Your reception location has receivable channels in all three Tv bands , that why All Channel antennas are recommended.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Jan-2014 at 5:30 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 25-Jan-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
StephanieS

Thanks for the follow up Scott,

Ok, easy it is!

The roof mount is ideal. You'll have a couple choices whether you mount on via a tripod, eave or chimney mount. The chimney mount can work well if a good reception location due to being able to avoid drilling holes.

Your coax run isn't too bad. 120' maximum. If I were putting the setup together, with those runs I would not run a preamp. I get uneasy when I have a 57 db signal and I'm pointing really close to it with a preamp in line. Initially, I would run the coax straight off the antenna to a splitter, then to your TVs. You have a nice amount of signal. I would operate on the first test with idea that a C290 would put plenty of signal down that far.

I have a RCA ANT751 small antenna running without a preamp on my second coax drop. It puts signal down 100' of coax then splits to two TVs and 20' and 50' additionally. My signals are comparable to yours for my locals. Signal is fine and reception is rock solid at the farthest TV. If it turns out not to be enough and you have too much loss and unreliable reception and aiming doesn't cure it, I'd be inclined to purchase a distribution amp. A channel master 3414 has a good reputation. They sell them in 2, 4 and 8 port options. http://http://www.amazon.com/Channel.../dp/B001PI09SE

I am in the camp that offsetting your losses with a distribution amp in this setting is the worst case scenario and is preferred over juicing up that 57 db signal.

You have a variety of viewpoints here as to what to set up and how to do it. GUM advises you well on the multi-directional setups and how with your signals that is not the right antenna for you. Teleview and I both agree a single all-band antenna pointed at Grand Rapids is your easiest and quickest way to reliable reception.

Lastly, you are right Lansing has duplicate affiliates. In some cases people between markets like to have the option for both sets of channels. That gets a wee bit more complicated. However, an all-band antenna about magnetic 300 should get you in the door.

When you do your first tests, run only the lead off the antenna into the back of your TV. No splits or anything - just straight coax directly from the antenna. Then do your channel scan. You'll know how well you do are doing. If reception is acceptable, then add splitter and additional coax runs monitoring system performance for problems.

Best of luck in your decision!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2014, 2:25 PM   #8
Scott1q1

Thanks all, I couldn't decide between antenna types, so this is a huge help to me!
With a little luck I will have it going by next weekend, and cancel my cable TV.

Thanks, Scott
Old 26-Jan-2014, 7:01 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
----
Cable delivered services , be it , cable Tv service , cable delivered Internet service , cable delivered phone service , Must Not and Can Not be connected to the antenna and coaxes that are used for the antenna system.

Any type or kind of cable deliverd service Must Be on a Separate Coax.