TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Dec-2013, 4:07 AM   #1
pinto

Help w/ Antenna + Placement - NEPA

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania and having difficultly maintaining signal strength with 2 channels in my area. Interesting enough, they are the ones which are closest to me. The channels giving me most difficulty are 38.1 and on occasion 64.1.

I am using a RCA ANT111 with a RCA Amp1450r Digital HDTV VHF UHF Signal Amplifier. I had built an Indoors Fractal HDTV Antenna (I'm sure most of you have seen the photo somewhere) and combined it with the RCA ANT using a passive splitter but it turned out to be of little value. The homemade antenna pulled in a few channels and when combined maybe helped strengthen some of my local channels (16.1,22.1,28.1,44.1). As a stand alone, the homemade antenna didn't do all that much by itself.

I have the RCA ANT placed about 8 feet off the ground in a window with no immediate obstructions. It is very close to the TV. I tried pointing it in different directions but it's current placement (almost directly at Real Channel 9) seems as good as any.

I realize there are factors other than distance, but I am not closed in by buildings, there are no mountains blocking the directions I need to consider, and the greatest distance from the transmitters I am interested in are no more than 11 miles. On the surface it would seem I live in an ideal location (based on what I have read here) but yet the nearest channel is the one I would really like to receive and having the hardest time getting it.

Equipment, placement, both, neither? I'm new at this but all ears and willing to learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....THX...

pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2013, 4:54 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Two significant issues, the two signal, WSBW, real CH-31 and WQPX, real CH-32 are blocked by trees to the NE. Your antenna is low and indoors.

I would opt for an ANT-751R, above the roof, pointed toward 32° per a compass. The stronger signals from the opposite direction would be received through the rear of the antenna. I would not install any amplifier unless you were splitting to many TVs and driving unusually long cable runs.

I'd also go as high as safety and practicality allow, if it would result in making the WPQX path LOS or at least 1-Edge.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Dec-2013 at 4:58 AM. Reason: go high
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2013, 6:15 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-------
Install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU11 or HBU11K , above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North East , West , South West.

Aim the HBU11 / K , at about 32 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html .

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Digital Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for channels.

---

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear the tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf .

-------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflections signals bouncing all around.

The Best Practice is to install the HBU11 /K , at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

--------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.antennacraft.net

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

-------

Test reception Without a antenna system amplifier.
A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required because of strong signal strengths of Tv stations at your location.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Dec-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 4-Dec-2013, 6:14 PM   #4
pinto

I was hoping to avoid the rooftop if at all possible but the solutions confirm what I suspected - height and needing to avoid those trees NE.
Old 5-Dec-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The two antennas suggest so far are interchangeable, direct competitors. Choose based on price or any other factor that strikes you as important.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2013, 1:33 PM   #6
pinto

Quote:
---

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear the tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf .

-------
I tried this last nite and there has been noticeable improvement ...
Old 5-Dec-2013, 4:33 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
------
Yes, Thank you.

When you get the antenna up in the Air for improved Signal Qualiy and Signal Strenght .

Then Double Rescan again.

The , ATSC aka 8VSB , signal is evolving in the direction of improvements and Tv stations are up grading equipment.

Double Rescaning from time to time can help with having a reliable signal and improvements of picture and sound.

Also New Digital Tv stations and channels can begin transmitting at any time Without any notice , rescan from time to time.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Dec-2013 at 2:08 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.