TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Nov-2012, 1:17 AM   #1
edl

Reception Issues Eden PrairieMN

I an trying to resolve some sporadic reception issues with a channel here. The biggest issue is getting good reception on the NBC station(KARE) on one television. I am getting good reception on all other channels.
I have an Antennae Direct DB4 antennae on the roof with about a 25 ft cable run to a
RadioShack® High-Gain HDTV-FM Signal Amplifier. There are two cable runs from the amp.
One cable run is about 50 ft to a digital to analog converter box to an analog TV. The NBC station comes in very well there with no dropouts or pixelation. The signal meter on the converter box shows a 'GOOD' signal (about 75 to 80% of total measure).
The other TV connected via about 75 feet of cable to a digital(plasma) TV in the basement. On this TV, the NBC station comes in sporadically. More often than not, it pixelates or is totally gone.
Utimately, I plan to add another TV which will be another 50 foot cable run and am a bit concerned that when that happens, I will got any signal on that TV.
Here is my TV Fool signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc491fcd64fa37

Any ideas?
Do I need a different antennae?
Another applifier?
edl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2012, 2:57 AM   #2
teleview

The digital broadcast tv transmissions are Very Strong Signal Strength at your location.

ALL coax and connectors and hardware is Suspect of of being bad. As in ALL coax.

That coax and connectors that goes to the Plasma Tv in the basement is suspect of being bad.

As a Test , run a new coax and connectors down the stairs to the tv in the basement.

Also , DO NOT chain splitters one after the other , DO NOT connect one splitter to another splitter to another splitter to another splitter to another splitter.

Each time a splitter split takes place the signal strength is reduced so at the end of a chain of splitters , not much signal remains.

The correct way is to use a splitter that has the number of outputs that go to each Tv location.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a common simple 3 way splitter.

The digital broadcast tv transmissions are Strong Signal Strength at your location.

And because the digital broadcast tv transmissions are strong at your location.

I recommend Remove the amplifier , and use the correct splitter that has the correct number of outputs to the Tv's that are connected.

Remember , ALL coax and connectors and hardware is Suspect of being bad.

Even the coax that is connected to the antenna.

I recommend aim the DB4 antenna at about 10 degree magnetic compass direction , ( an in between aim direction ) so as to receive WPXM-DT ION Television and the main group of digital tv stations to the , north east.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always , the starting aim direction is the --> starting aim direction.

The antenna can be adjusted turned to the left and right to find a aim that has the best reception.

Digital Tv tuners can develop , Digital Glitchs , that are not cleared out with a simple channel rescan.

I recommend a Double Rescan of Tv.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html

Last edited by teleview; 14-Nov-2012 at 5:22 AM.
Old 14-Nov-2012, 2:01 PM   #3
edl

OK. Thanks for the suggestions.
I will try a new cable run as suggested. I did the double channel scan and now get KARE at about 30% signal strength. Other channels, including ION, are at about 80% signal.

Clarification: there is only 1 splitter and that is part of the amplifier.

Once I run the new cable, I will let you know.
Old 14-Nov-2012, 6:19 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your problem with KARE is that it's a VHF signal and the DB4 was not designed for VHF. Similarly, KMSP is also a VHF station, but they simulcast a standard definition feed as a sub-channel on WFTC so it's available via a UHF antenna.

The solution to KARE is pretty simple. We offer a VHF kit intended for the C2 that, with some basic hand tools and skills, can be adapted to the DB4. Send an email to info (at) antennasdirect.com and request that we email you the instructions, then order the kit (Shop Now > Accessories > Reflectors) for installation.

Be sure to rescan after installing the VHF element.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2012, 2:55 AM   #5
edl

Problem fixed

I installed the new VHF antennae along with the UHF antennae. I also checked the cable ends and one connection was suspicous so I repaired that one.
With these two fixes, haven't had any reception issues since then.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 2-Dec-2012, 5:17 AM   #6
teleview

Very good.