TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Sep-2012, 8:26 PM   #1
danthesoldier

Need some help kansas

Greetings

I have been playing with this for a while. Different TV's and Antennas. about to give it all up and go to satellite. My signal analysis is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df9b1c48fd8ef .

I am using the following:
JVC genessa Lt-37x688
about 100' rg6
antennacraft c490
cm 7777 pre amp

I can pick up wibw 13 cbs during the day
I want to pick up ktka 49, ktwu 11, ksnt 27

I have a plan on rerouting the rg6 to cut loss.
but with the gain of this antenna I should be able to receive channels 49,11.
the only other issues I can think of is a grain elevator 1/4 mile away may be blocking signal.

do I need bigger antenna? been looking at winegard hd7698p or denny's hd stacker when I bought current antenna Radio shack.
any input would appreciated.
thx for your time and help with my dilemma.

Dan
danthesoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2012, 9:28 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Simple, effective DTV reception solutions

Changing the antenna and shortning the coax won't solve the problem. The elevator 1/4 mile should not be a problem.

Install a Channel Master 7778 amplifier or an Antennas Direct CPA19. Your 7777 is two strong and may be overloading.

Be sure that the FM trap in switched in. If after installing the amp the problem with 11 or 13 still exist, install a FM trap in front of the amplifier.

If you want to receive FOX 17 from your West install a second antenna pointed in that direction. Use an Antennas Direct CS2 UHF antenna. Run a second coax from the CS2 and install an A/B switch to select between FOX 5 and the rest of your stations.

You could install a rotor to tune in FOX instead of the second antenna. Your choice.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 22-Sep-2012 at 9:50 PM. Reason: channel correction
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
danthesoldier

what would I need to do

Okay I climbed up again disconnected the cm7777 and threw some cable connectors on aligned antenna toward ktka 49 got wibw 13 cbs crystal clear.

I will pick up a lower gain pre amp on payday.

Whats the chances of picking up ABC and NBC with what i have or should get a different antenna?

does(doesn't) grounding the mast have any effect on reception? I don't think it does, but I know I need to do it for lightning.

Again thx for your time and solutions

Dan
danthesoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If I were starting from scratch, I would point an Antennacraft Y10713 at real channel 11, KTWU... mounting as high as I could safely afford. I would even consider a stacked pair of Y10713's, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024 using 450Ω twin lead as the tuned combiner (try cutting the twin-lead for CH-12 as a compromise between 11 & 13). The CPA-19 is a good, low noise amplifier, resistant to overload. This antenna (or stacked pair) would be dedicated to real CH 11 & 13.

I would go after the UHF signals with an Antennas Direct 91XG. You could opt to rotate it if you like. A dedicated CPA-19 would be best.

The output of the two amplifiers can be combined into a single coax using a UVSJ (UHF / VHF signal joiner).

Re. Grounding:

My stock answer is, Grounding the mast and coax shield are prudent and relatively inexpensive steps that limit the buildup of static-electricity which can damage the tuner. When done correctly, grounding can also reduce the risk caused by a nearby lighting strike.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Grounding in a basic system is a two step process:

1) Connect a #10 gauge copper wire to the antenna mast. A bronze ground clamp such as the Halex #36020 is well suited for this application. Run the wire directly to the electrical service ground. Avoid sharp bends in the wire. (If the ground wire between the service panel and ground rod is accessible, an Intersystem Bonding Termination devise can be placed onto the ground wire without cutting or disconnecting it. This provides a means to connect the #10 mast ground wire to the existing ground wire close to the ground rod outside the building. If possible, avoid running the new ground wire inside the building, energy from static or electrical storms is best directed to ground before it has any path into the building. The mast ground wire can be bare or insulated, your choice.)

2) Run the coax from the antenna to a location close to the electrical service ground. Install a ground block and with another peice of #10 wire, connect it to the electrical service ground at the same point you connected the mast ground.

I don't recommend short-cuts such as driving a new ground rod that is not connected to the existing electrical service ground. An isolated ground rod often has a high resistance that provides very limited ground connection. The goal is to connect to the same ground system that protects the rest of the home.

Surge protectors located inside outlet strips at the TV, computer or similar devises are worth consideration. A surge protector with a high joule rating is able to absorb more fault energy than a unit with a lower joule rating. Some surge protection units include phone jacks and F-connectors to enable protection of a phone line, coax cable and the power cable(s). However, in the case of an outdoor mounted antenna, this type of protection should not be considered a 'first-line of defense'.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2012, 4:49 AM   #5
teleview

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

The following is a Teleview recommendation for brodcast Tv reception.

WIBW-Tv VHF channel 13 , is 20.9 NM(dB)

KAAS-DT UHF channel 17 , is 18.5 NM (dB)

KTWU UHF channel 47 , is 14.3 NM(dB)

K36IO-D UHF channel 36 , is 4.6 NM (dB)

and then the next tv stations go into the negative numbers.

And the evaluation is that those Very Weak NM (dB) numbers are too strong for a CM7777 preamp.

No way those Weak Tv transmissions will overload a CM7777 preamp.

And a Grain elevator 1/4 mile away , will not , reduce or block signal if it is in the direction of reception ?????

danthesoldier , what direction is the grain elevator from your house??

Is the elevator the Big concrete type , or the smaller metal type??

Last edited by teleview; 23-Sep-2012 at 2:42 PM.
Old 23-Sep-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
signals unlimited

Simple, effective DTV reception solutions

ABC 49 should be ok. NBC is a weak signal but could work. Try the new configuration and go from there.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote