TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Oct-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
slegsonly

Newbie install

Hello,
Looking for assistance with install in remote location. I am located about 30 miles south of Springfield MO/ 20 minutes north of Branson, MO. I currently have an old antenna that was given to me, I have no idea what make. My issue: with this antenna I receive about 9 digital channels on one TV and 6 on the other though I get some breakup. If I only connect one TV at a time, I get a higher number on each TV. I have tried a Radio shack booster that has a piece mounter on antenna along with a 2 tv booster, this results in 2 stations received on one and 0 on the other. If i remove piece from antenna, this results in about 6 on one and 2 on the other, so with nothing and an old antenna I get the best result. (It seems to me boosters are a waste, but I'm sure its my ignorance). Using Antennaweb.org, a recommendation of a Winegard Outdoor High Definition VHF/UHF Antenna HD-7698P with a rotor and booster. We are in a valley of sorts so that adds to the trouble. I am sure I am confused about all this. Can anyone add to my understanding and installation knowledge?

Thanks
Dave
slegsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2010, 1:45 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

Tv fool report. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2010, 2:45 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slegsonly View Post
I have tried a Radio shack booster that has a piece mounter on antenna along with a 2 tv booster, this results in 2 stations received on one and 0 on the other.
The booster is faulty or was installed improperly.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2010, 3:08 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Please post your TVFool.com report here: we can't advise you without that information.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2010, 3:14 PM   #5
slegsonly

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36246652fc6c5

From what I can tell, the booster was connected correctly antenna to input with pwr and gain controls. 2 tvs out the other 2 connection. verified and reverified connnections.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 3:25 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Start out fresh, and use a new antenna and cable: the signals in your area are pretty strong: you need a Winegard HD-7694P or an Antennacraft HBU-33 aimed at 40 degrees. You should only use a preamplifier if you plan to run multiple TV sets: and I suspect you have a real problem with that preamp. Replace it with a Winegard HDP-269 high-input preamp. You will see all of the Springfield stations clearly if you do.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 4:52 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

At the >Start Maps< part of tvfool it looks like your location is south of Crystal Dr. and close to Hi Way 65. with the antenna above the roof of the house you will get good reception. It is interesting to go to the >Start MAPS< part of tvfool and plug in different antenna heights and watch what happens to the NM noise margin number. The reference number for reliable reception is 0 NM dB at the tv. The more positive the number the better the negative the number the worse. Also the reception path , 1 and 2 edge means obstructions are in the way , in your case Hills. When the antenna is raised in height watch what happens. LOS means Line Of Sight. LOS means no obstructions and the receiving antenna has a clear shot at the transmitting antenna. I would check reception with out a preamp first. The antenna does need to be up high , like on the roof of the house. I suggest a Winegard antenna the construction is heavy duty and has a built in coupler to connect direct to the coax. I suggest the Winegard HD7695P , it is a good to get a little bigger antenna for that extra signal strength/reception.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Oct-2010 at 5:00 PM.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 6:00 PM   #8
slegsonly

John, you are correct on location. Unfortunatly we are down in a valley though I do have a low area at about 0 to 36 degress. Also we have a cell tower right at about 0 degrees about 1/4 mile or less from our house. We seem to get better reception w/current setup if we point right at tower, if I point to 40 degrees I loose a lot. Will need to purchase antenna first so right now I am stuck. I think the worst problem is even at 30 ft up I am at less 100-150 ft below LOS w/ springfield. What does 2EDGE mean? thanks
Old 2-Oct-2010, 6:19 PM   #9
slegsonly

Never mind 2edge. I see the reference.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Your signal strength is enough that, with the right antenna, 2-edge refraction won't be an issue if you mount the antenna on the roof: don't make this more complicated than it is...
The fact that you are lower than the transmitter is not of any consequence if there are no large hills or other obstruction between the transmitters and you. The signal strengths evident in your area indicate that you will get good reception using ah HD-7694P, or perhaps an HD-7696P if you want some extra margin.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
John Candle

Tv Reception

I agree with Tigerbangs , Do Not Make This More Complicated Then It Really Is. For Digital Tv reception you will need a Digital Tv or a digital to analog converter box with a analog Tv. Now just because I printed this about digital Tv's and analog Tv's , do not hold you breath and yank on your hair. In other posts , question askers have flipped out. Be calm and think things through. As Tigerbangs suggests , A new antenna , New RG-6 coax and a good strong antenna mount on the roof of the house or a eve mount or a mounting location that is up high and is strong sturdy.
Old 2-Oct-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
John Candle

Tv Reception

Do Not Hold Your Breath and Yank on Your Hair.
Old 3-Oct-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
slegsonly

Guys, thanks for the advice. I am ordering items today. One question, coming out of the Winegard 269, what is the best setup to split to a Hauppauge 1600 series tuner card for Microsoft Media Center and 52 in Sharp Aquos flat panel? Is any splitter fine? Thanks again! Oh yeah don't worry about my hair, pulled it out long ago.....

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr1600.html
Old 3-Oct-2010, 4:48 PM   #14
John Candle

Tv Reception

Thanks. It's nice to have some humor here
Old 7-Oct-2010, 8:48 PM   #15
slegsonly

Tigerbangs and John, Antenna and preamp are now installed. After getting 0 stations I went back through and checked all my terminations. I discovered the twist on COAX ends were all bad. Replaced with crimps style and and rechecked signal. We now get 13 stations on one TV and 9 on the Microsoft System!

Thank you both for your expert advice! Top Notch!

Dave