TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Jul-2012, 2:44 AM   #1
Delhesian

Antenna Advice

Hi, I'm preparing to cut the cord and I'm trying to determine the appropriate antenna for my location. I have already tested using a basic RCA Indoor Antenna and the reception for the major networks is quite good with the exception of CBS which is the only one in the VHF range. Here is the link to my tvfool report, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...990051f5c1a045.

Looking at the report I'm in a very good location where an indoor antenna should cover the major networks. My question is would an antenna like the Mohu Leaf be a good bet for me (I know CBS could still be an issue)?

I also thought about the Winegard HD7082 all channel antenna or something similar but wasn't sure if it would be needed based on my location.
Delhesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2012, 5:11 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

A large all channel antenna such as the 7082 would be to directional. A Mohu-Leaf will have little UHF gain and no support for any real VHF.

Consider an RCA ANT-751 pointed NE. I bit of gain in both the UHF and High-VHF bands while not being so directional as to miss the signals of the left and right of center. Mounted outside you have lots of signal to work with. The ANT-751 is compact and can wall mount on a J-pole.

If you want to try for indoors, the Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) has a bit of UHF gain and some VHF capability.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Jul-2012 at 5:35 AM. Reason: HDTVi
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jul-2012, 5:40 AM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

A simple reception situation. Signals are strong.

An attic installation will work Ok if.

There is no metal roof , no foil backed insulation , no thick roof tiles , no solar panels , no big thick trees in the direction of about 80 degree magnetic compass.
Install a ANT751 aimed at about 80 degree magnetic compass.

Also if the building is wood frame with wood or vinyl siding and no metal backed insulation in the walls.
A TERK HDTVi non amplified antenna aimed at about 80 degree magnetic compass will receive many channels.
Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

If the building has , concrete walls , concrete blocks , cinder blocks , bricks from ground to roof , big rocks for wall , metal siding , metal roof , metal backed insulation , solar panels , reception will be reduced or blocked.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for the cable tv channels.