TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Sep-2011, 5:06 PM   #1
cnackeru

Not an antenna junkie in W. WI

Seems to be so much conflicting information on antenna that I was hoping to give this a try. Would be open to some suggestions on how to optimize my OTA reception. I have an large, single antenna that was purchased a few years back already installed and the reception is OK, unless the weather gets stormy. Could not tell you the make or model of the antenna, bought it at Mill's Fleet Farm. I have a ChannelMaster 7777 amp installed also. Can I do better? I know that is hard to answer without the antenna model...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f39d8e190378
cnackeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:12 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Make a new radar plot with the antenna at 25 feet high and be sure and use your exact address. Also how many tv's are/will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 1:08 PM   #3
cnackeru

Not sure why you want 25 feet as my antenna is actually only 10 - 15 above the surrounding ground level. The LOS direction for most of the stations also has some trees that are higher than 25 feet above ground level.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f391b223d7a6
Old 14-Sep-2011, 2:42 PM   #4
cnackeru

Right now I have one T.V. connected to the ChannelMaster 7777 and another one, with a separate coax, connected directly to the antenna.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 3:52 PM   #5
John Candle

With the antenna at 25 feet high , 8 tv stations in the direction of 242 degree magnetic compass , the south west , went from the red reception zone to the yellow reception zone , thats stronger signals and stronger signals are good.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:04 PM   #6
John Candle

Of the antenna pictured , which antenna is the most like the one you have , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:23 PM   #7
cnackeru

It's an all band antenna.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:47 PM   #8
John Candle

Indoor/inside tv antennas

I suggest your all band antenna with the CM7777 switched to combined VHF UHF input and a 2 way splitter to connect the 2 tv's from the preamp power supply unit inside the house. Do not have one tv connected direct to the antenna. Aim the antenna at about 242 degree magnetic compass.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Sep-2011 at 5:25 PM.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:53 PM   #9
John Candle

If trees are reducing the reception to the south west then sometimes it is possible with strong signals (yours are not strong) to shoot under the trees branches with the antenna closer to the ground. Or move the antenna to aim around / to the left or right side of the tree. Or get the antenna up high above the trees.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Sep-2011 at 5:24 PM.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 4:55 PM   #10
cnackeru

My impression with the CM7777 is that you should only have a single set connected to it and have an un-spliced, un-split coax to the transformer. Supposedly the power from the transformer and/or the signal from the amp would be weakened with a splice/split. The input is currently set to 'combined' on the CM7777. Any suggestions on a different antenna?
Old 14-Sep-2011, 5:13 PM   #11
John Candle

The CM7777 is a 2 part preamp , the out side part is the actual preamp , the inside part is the power supply , a coax goes from the preamp to the connection that says 'in from antenna' on the power supply unit and a coax connection is also on the power supply unit that says 'out to tv' , the 2 way splitter is connected at some point after the 'out to tv' connection. For maximum reception I recommend a Winegard HD7698P antenna. For less then maximum reception I recommend a Winegard HD7694P antenna.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 5:22 PM   #12
John Candle

By connecting one tv directly to the antenna terminals , signal is 'drained from' 'directed from' the antenna that could be going to the preamp input to amplifiy. So in actual fact less signal is going to the preamp. Less signal to the preamp means less signal out the other end at the power supply , the connection that says , 'out to tv'.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 5:33 PM   #13
cnackeru

Okay, now I just need to figure out how to get a coax from the power supply back to the other T.V.. They are all buried in the walls. Any ill effects if I split it just after the pre-amp and connect the 2nd T.V. coax there?
Old 14-Sep-2011, 5:41 PM   #14
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnackeru View Post
Any ill effects if I split it just after the pre-amp and connect the 2nd T.V. coax there?
To do so you need a particular type of splitter. A picture of one is here.

http://www.indyav.com/products/2-Way...-Splitter.html
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2011, 6:48 PM   #15
cnackeru

Yep, got one of those. Didn't know if the power from the CM7777 back to the pre-amp would be affected by the splitter between the two pieces of the CM7777.
Old 14-Sep-2011, 6:51 PM   #16
cnackeru

Since there hasn't been any mention of any different antenna options, I guess what I have then is fine?