TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-May-2012, 2:32 AM   #1
OtaNewbie

Confused First Timer in NYC, want to install outdoor roof antenna, help

Hello, never done this before please help. I would like to install an outdoor antenna but I don't know anything about this stuff. I saw the Clearstream 2 at BJ's but need advice before I buy the wrong products. I want to have as many channels as possible with the best signal. I am using a Samsung LCD TV. I also have a Tivax Digital TV Converter STB-T8 that my friend gave me. If I can afford it, I may get the Channel Master DVR someday. The most important channels are the mainstream ones like, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PIX11, PBS, UPN9, etc.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...073b3cda5ad4be
I live on the top floor at 979 Grant Ave, Bronx, NY 10456 in a 5 story apartment building. The roof top is about 55 feet above ground level. I want to connect three TVs to the antenna. The most important, is my bedroom which is almost directly below where the antenna will be mounted. My TV from the antenna shouldn't need more than 30 feet of cable. The other two TVs shouldn't need more than 70 feet of cable from my bedroom.

Questions:
1.) Which antennas do you recommend are the best?
2.) What location/intersection should I be aiming the antenna for.
3.) Will I need some sort of amplifier/preamplifier?
4.) any other info/advice??

Thank you so much. Sorry if I was confusing or not clear.

Last edited by OtaNewbie; 28-May-2012 at 2:35 AM. Reason: additional info
OtaNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 3:22 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You have the luxury of many strong signals from the same direction... the envy of most OTA viewers. On top of that, you have access to the roof in NYC... awesome!

A Winegard HD7010 pointed at the Empire State Building (about 215° per a compass) will give you plenty of signal to drive many more sets than you have. No need for any amplifier, in fact, an amplifier will likely overload which will hurt, not help.

The aim point is a starting point... fine tune by adjusting left or right.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 5:43 AM   #3
Electron

If you can put a Tv antenna on the roof. Can you put a antenna on the roof??
Aim a Winegard HD7000R antenna , no amplifier , at about 258 degree magnetic compass. About 258 degree magnetic compass , WNJB 8 PBS , is in the middle of the groups of Tv stations to the north/west , west , south/west , south. Starting with the antenna aim in the middle of the groups of Tv stations will get you the Tv stations to the , north/west , west , south/west . south.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronrad.com , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.
Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

If there is a , north/west , west , south/west or south facing balcony the HD7000R antenna can be put on the balcony and aimed south/west. The tripod antenna mount makes a good stand for a antenna on a balcony.

The HD7000R could be in the apartment and aimed out a south/west facing window. The tripod stand makes a good stand for antenna in the apartment.

Could also use a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna aimed out a , north/west , west , south/west , south , facing window.
Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The best place for reception is a roof top antenna.
Then a balcony.
Then indoors.

The best way to get a coax from the outside of a building to the inside of a building is a hole through wall.
Another way to do it is , Holland 144823 flat cable , at solidsignal.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2013 at 4:45 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2012, 6:01 PM   #4
Electron

The Tv/s Must scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable Tv channels.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2013 at 4:46 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 29-May-2012, 2:17 AM   #5
OtaNewbie

Thanks Guys,
1.) What is the difference between the Winegard HD7000r & HD7010?
2.) GroundUrMast, what is the difference between the Winegard HD7015, Winegard direct has it for the same price as the 7010, so wondering if one is "better than the other."
3.) Does the 7010 have "VHF-Hi band?" IDK what this is, but winegard direct states in the HD7694p description that "VHF-Hi band is needed in 98% of 2009 DTV markets." And, do I even need to worry about VHF-Hi band.. lol

Last edited by OtaNewbie; 29-May-2012 at 2:19 AM.
Old 29-May-2012, 4:04 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The HD7000 has slightly less gain than the 7010 while the 7015 has a bit more gain than either of the smaller in the series. Any of the three will receive plenty of signal as measured in terms of raw power. I've recommended the HD7010 because it's a bit more directional than the HD7000. This ability to focus sensitivity in one direction will reduce the effect of signals reflecting off of buildings in the city... The 7015 would be even better at this. The goal is to receive the signal coming directly from the station while picking up as little interfering reflections as possible. But, you can have too much of a good thing... If you get too directional, you start to loose the ability to receive signal that are off to one side or the other.

My preference is the 7010, but the 7000 is also a good choice.

There are three bands of frequencies used for over the air broadcasting of television signals, Low-VHF (real channels 2 through 6), High-VHF (real channels 7 through 13) and UHF (real channels 14 and higher).

Your area is served by stations in all three bands. The HD769X series antennas are not designed to receive real channels 2 through 6 reliably, so it's not the ideal option for you.

Old 29-May-2012, 7:33 AM   #7
Electron

Your location has television transmissions in ALL 3 BANDS , VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 , UHF channels 14 thru 69.

VHF low band.
WBQM-LD Real channel 3
WNYZ-LP Real channel 6
WKOB-LD Real channel 2
WPXO-LD Real channel 4
WNYX-LD Real channel 5

VHF high band.
WABC-TV Real channel 7
WNET-DT Real channel 13
WPIX Real channel 11
WPXU-LD Real channel 12
WYXN-LD Real channel 9
WNJB Real channel 8
and ect.

The rest are UHF channels.

The HD7000R receives ALL 3 BANDS. And so does the HD7010.

The tvfool radar plot lists the Real channels and the Virtual channels.

REAL channels and Virtual channels.

REAL channels are what is actually being Transmitted and Received.
It is Important to know the Real channel so as to select the correct antenna.

Virtual channels in most cases is the Analog Tv transmission channel number that the Tv station was transmitting on before the change to Digital in the year 2009.
Many Tv stations have kept old Analog channel number even though the Tv station may or may not be transmitting on the same channel.
Reason: Channel Branding.

Here at tvfool and the advisors here at tvfool deal with Tv transmission and reception the way it Really Is.

Not the common useless jabber that one hears and reads every day about HD antennas and Joe told Omar that Wanda said she heard Henry say that the XYZ antenna gets him all the channels.

The instructions and directions that are give here at tvfool are in fact the real deal.

If you choose to go with what Joe told Omar , then the rest of the internet is loaded with Joe's and Omar's and all of the misinformation that one can acquire.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2013 at 4:47 AM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
Old 22-Jan-2013, 1:29 AM   #8
OtaNewbie

Thank you guys,

It's been a while, the reason is, I ended up using the old antenna that was on the roof. The superintendent of my building cut the wires of the antenna, so I knew no one was using the old antenna. I just took the antenna down and mounted it above my apartment so I can drop the wire down through my window.
The only issue with this antenna is, when the super cut the wires, he cut one of them above the coax connector for the top part of the antenna. (I have attached a pic of the antenna, it is dark, taken at night, so it's a bit hard to see. But the wire connected to the top part is cut. My TV is only connected to the smaller part that is extending out to the right.) I do get channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, sometimes 11 & 13, and I get the channels above as well. I didn't take much time in aiming it yet. There are days that the reception is very poor and aggravating. So I am interested in finally getting a new antenna, so here I am.

1.) GroundUrMast, you mentioned "But, you can have too much of a good thing... If you get too directional, you start to loose the ability to receive signal that are off to one side or the other." Would this be a problem if I were to go with the 7015 over the 7010?
Old 22-Jan-2013, 4:50 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Any of the three models (7000, 7010 or 7015) will do very well.
Old 20-Oct-2013, 9:36 PM   #10
OtaNewbie

Here I was, ready to finally buy the Winegard HD7010 antenna as suggested. But it seems to be discontinued. Do you know of any current models that offer the same performance as the HD7010? Thanks for your help.
Old 20-Oct-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Install a Channel Master CM5016.
Old 21-Oct-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
No static at all

$90.00 for that little antenna????? What are they smoking at Channel Master??

How about this blue light special for under 20.00.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2013, 3:02 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Consider the Channel Master CM-5016 or CM-3016. Another option, the Antennacraft C290.

Old 21-Oct-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
No static at all

Why not the Antennacraft AC-9? There is about a 90° spread of the desired channels. Wouldn't the CM 3016 & AC C290 be too directional?

The CM 5016 would be a good choice, but WAY overpriced. We can't all be Wall Street stock brokers.
Old 21-Oct-2013, 4:37 PM   #15
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

The CM5016 is a high quality antenna built to last.

And the CM5016 antenna has a built in sealed matching transformer (balun).
Old 21-Oct-2013, 5:27 PM   #16
No static at all

So Antennacraft is not built to last? I guess I have just been lucky with the ones that I have bought. They have held up really well without spending an arm & a leg.

Nothing wrong with an external balun. They have been used for years with great success.
Old 21-Oct-2013, 9:55 PM   #17
OtaNewbie

Thank you guys for your replies!
Can you compare the winegard hd7010 to both the Antennacraft AC-9 AND the CM5016.
(Keep in mind, I know none of the terms you guys use. I get the gist of some, but not really.)
Old 22-Oct-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
No static at all

With your signal strengths any of the suggested antennas should provide great reception. A small/less directional would be best since you have a few receivable stations off axis.

The CM 5016 antenna seems to be a bit beefier design, so the decision is yours as whether it is worth the extra cost over the Antennacraft AC-9.