TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2012, 2:43 PM   #1
JJP

Any hope of picking up channels 70 miles away?

Hi all,
I recently ditched DirecTV and most recently my cable provider.

I live about 1 mile east of Hudson, WI. I can use a cheap Philips antenna from Walmart to pick up the Twin Cities HD stations out of Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN to the west of me.

But what I am REALLY wanting to do is pick up the Eau Claire, WI channels, basically so I can watch the Green Bay Packers. Eau Claire is about 70 miles east of me.

I see these websites claiming they have antenna's that can pick up channels 100+ miles away.

As spring approaches I might try to get something installed to get those channels if possible. So is there a possibility? If so, recommendations?

I have attached my report.

I know not a lot of info to go on here, but it is all I could think of to tell you.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (63.7 KB, 692 views)
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2012, 4:59 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Be very cautious when considering any product that claims to be fantastically different or better than all others... Most, if not all of the 100+ mile antenna ads deserve to be filed with the 'herbal supplement that cures cancer, gout and flatulence' ads.

I've made an attempt to reverse engineer your location... If you are willing to consider tower mounting at over 100 feet above ground level, Eau Claire station may be receivable with a large antenna. You'll be fighting co-channel and adjacent channel interference so success is not assured.

The Fox affiliate, WEUX, real channel 49 and the ABC affiliate WQOW, real channel 15 are still blocked by terrain (a 2-edge path from your point of view) with an antenna height of 500 feet.

Bottom line, you'll need to go to quite some effort to get reliable reception from Eau Claire.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
JJP

Hehe, thanks for the quick replies. Those were the answers I figured I'd get. Oh well, looks like I am forced to head to the local drinking establishment on Sunday's in the fall.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote