TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jul-2011, 3:54 PM   #1
Tug

Reception help in Pella, WI

I've read many posts and am very impressed by the specific help people are getting, so I figured I should ask before I make any more mistakes.

I have a place in the woods (surrounded by trees) that I get spotty reception in the summer and better reception in the winter. I assume its because of leaves on the trees, but I'm no expert. For what its worth, even after the leaves are gone, it gets better when it is bitter cold.

Setup:
- My antenna is (was) an older fairly large directional antenna that is on a pole attached to the corner of my house about 25' high pointed aproximately at 120* towards the Green Bay Stations.

- The coax runs aprox 65 feet to an indoor powered distribuption amp that splits it to two TVs. I don't have the name/model of that. I think it's cheap, I'll take a look the next time I'm up there. I can say that I've tried with and without and it improved my reception somewhat so I left it in. This all came with the place when I got it a few years ago.

Reception:
- I get channels 2 and 38 the strongest and almost all the time.
- Channel 5 is the next strongest and usually get it.
- Channel 11 is more spotty
- Channels 14 and 26 I only get in the winter.

The only two things I have done to improve reception is slightly change direction of the antenna and play with the distribution amp.

Last week, prior to finding posts on this site, I decided to try to improve my situation by buying a pre-amp. I have a CM7777 on its way from Amazon.

Unfortunately, high winds over the weekend pushed a tree on my place that luckily didn't do any major damage, but it did destroy my antenna. I'll attach a pic if I can figure it out.

Here is the URL to my GPS coordinates TVFool.com report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03f32955211404

So, given the fact that I'm surrounded by trees, have a CM7777 on its way, and now need to purchase a new antenna:
- What antenna would you recommend?
- Should I keep the CM7777, replace it with something else, or just return it?

I'd like to get all the GreenBay stations (those at 119* - 124*) and if possible some stations in other directions. However, I don't want to risk GB stations.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TreeDestroysAntenna2.JPG (202.4 KB, 653 views)
Tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2011, 6:02 PM   #2
Tug

Slight revision

I'll make a slight revision. I think I emphasized keeping the Green Bay channels too much. That comment was based on an assumption that focusing on GB would be the best way to get the most networks.

I really just want all the networks, if possible. So, if you think I can get all the major networks by using a multi-directional UHF antenna (which includes Fox channel 31) instead of trying to get VHF Fox 11. I'm open to that idea.
Old 21-Jul-2011, 6:24 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You'll need a directional antenna in any event. If you want signals from multiple directions, you will need to use a rotor.

Weak fringe UHF signals seem to get severely clobbered by trees, often making them unwatchable. The pre-amp you selected will help some, but the only certain cure is to physically mount the antenna where trees are not an issue. From your photo, that's likely not possible, so you'll have to accept whatever the trees do to your signal. High-VHF signals are affected also, but to a lesser extent than are UHF signals.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 21-Jul-2011 at 6:29 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2011, 6:32 PM   #4
Tug

Okay.. I was wondering which got clobbered more by trees, UHF and VHF.

So, if I'm sticking with a directional antenna and focus on the Green Bay stations that are clustered in the same direction... which is a good UHF/VHF antenna to pair up with the CM7777 to do the best?

Since I was having some success already, I'm optimistic that a better antenna with a pre-amp might just do the trick.
Old 21-Jul-2011, 7:13 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Either a deep-fringe U/V (7-69) combo or a separate U/V antennas on a common mast. You'll need "real estate" for the antenna(s), you 'll just need to pick whether it's going to be vertical (two antennas, one over the other) or horizontal (8-14' in length).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2011, 2:32 AM   #6
Tug

I have about 5 feet vertical mast to work with and unlimited horizontal space. Unless there is a huge reception benefit with using two, I'll stick with one for the sake of easiness. what's the going opinion on the best combo fringe antenna?
Old 22-Jul-2011, 4:40 AM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend a Winegard HD7698P antenna with the CM7777 preamp pointed at about 122 degree magnetic compass. This set up will supply signal to up to four Tv's. Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com , http://www.3starinc.com . Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Jul-2011 at 6:23 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
John Candle

A tree limb falling on a $100 antenna is not good. Or a tree limb brushing a $100 antenna in the wind is not good. Tree trimming is in order. The trees in the picture look like thin young trees. Would it be possible to clear some out so the Tv antenna can have better reception from the Tv transmitters??
Old 24-Jul-2011, 6:12 PM   #9
Tug

Thanks for the recommendation, im going to order the winegard antenna you recommended and use the 7777.

Regarding the trees, the picture is misleading. Those are big trees in the background and quite far away. There isn't anything nearby that could brush it. The branch that fell was about 14 inch in diameter and 60 feet away. I finally got up there and on the roof this weekend and unfortunately the ridge of my roof was crushed in a bit. Waiting for the insurance claim adjuster to calland make an inspection appointment. Any chance you can identify the crushed antenna by the picture in case they want to undervalue it?
Old 6-Aug-2011, 1:13 PM   #10
Tug

I've got the 7698 installed with the 7777 Pointing at 122. I'm getting all the greenbay channels with a strong signal and most of the wausau stations with a spotty signal. surprised I'm getting the wausau channels since that is the opposite direction. I'm going to so see if I can turn it at all to strengthen wausau without hurting GB at too much. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 6-Aug-2011, 7:12 PM   #11
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug View Post
I'm going to so see if I can turn it at all to strengthen wausau without hurting GB at too much.
That's very unlikely. Consider a rotor or a second antenna with an A/B switch.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Aug-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
John Candle

Yes it is interesting to see if can receive the tv stations on the back side of the antenna. A second HD7698P antenna and a Winegard AP 8700 preamp will receive the Wausau stations to the west north. Separate coax from both antennas go to the Tv's and remote control A/B antenna switches are located at both Tv's , AB27RS or radioshack 15-1968.

Last edited by John Candle; 7-Aug-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 6-Aug-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
John Candle

The Tv stations to the south east , WTPX-DT 46 ION , WACY-DT 27 MyNetwork , WGBD-LP 49 , are the weakest stations , are these being received now??
Old 7-Aug-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
Tug

Nope, I'm not getting those. I guess those weren't even in my thinking.

Does the back side of the antenna get more than the side? Or, is the closer to the front of the antenna always the best, even if it's 90 degrees off?
Old 7-Aug-2011, 5:34 AM   #15
John Candle

The side of the antenna receives the least amount of signal. The forward direction , the front of the antenna receives the most signal. As the antenna is rotated the signal receiving ability of the antenna gets lower and lower , until the reception ability of the antenna is at the lowest on the side of the antenna , 90 degrees off the front. Reception will take place at/through the back of the antenna , however the reception is reduced. The reason is the antenna is designed to receive more at the front. It's known as front to back ratio and forward gain.

Last edited by John Candle; 7-Aug-2011 at 5:37 AM.
Old 7-Aug-2011, 5:49 AM   #16
John Candle

So how far down the list of Tv stations to the south east are being received , is WGBA-TV 41 NBC being received?? And please do not say Yep or Nope receiving WGBA NBC and then drop the information there.
Old 7-Aug-2011, 5:57 AM   #17
John Candle

Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 7-Aug-2011, 1:53 PM   #18
Tug

It's 8:30am cst Sunday Aug 7am. Right now I am during in front of the tv checking the level of reception. I'll try to indicate signal strength by estimating the % of bar filled. My converter box does not give me an actual number. Antenna is still pointed south east at approx 122 degrees.

South east:
11 - 90%
23 - 85%
39 - 60%
21 - 65%
42 - 85%
41 - 60%
27 - 30% (no reception, but have at other times)
49 - 0% (no reception and never have)
30 - 0% (no reception and never have)

North west:
7 - 30% (no reception but did on thursday)
9 - 25% (no reception and never have)
31 - 40% (no reception but have other times)
24 - 30% (no reception and never have)
46 - 0% (no reception and never have)

I've learned that thursday night was a good time for reception. There have been other times almost as good but these results are about normal for the day time. Of course, it's only been up 2.5 days so far, so it's a really small sample size.
Old 7-Aug-2011, 2:05 PM   #19
Tug

Since, I dont see the real numbers when im using the tv, it's easy to get confused. I responded about 27 earlier without realizing that it is what I see as 32.1. I've already read your opinions on that topic .

Note, real channel 41 is virtual channel 26.1 but the list doesn't show that for some reason.

Please excuse the typos, my only connection from here is with my phone.

Thanks much
Old 7-Aug-2011, 3:30 PM   #20
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Tower Guy is on the right track: you should install a rotator , which will allow you to turn the antenna towards either Wausaw or Green Bay, essentially doubling the number of stations available to you. Look at the Channel Master 921a or the AntennaCraft TDP-2 for rotators: it would be the best investment that you could make to improve your reception.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote