Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Aug-2014, 5:20 AM   #1
Seattleite

Antenna Recommendations

Hi,

I would like to get an antenna set up. Here is my signal report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f837f287e47

I tried buying this Winegard antenna from Costco, my friends who live somewhat close had good luck on the first try.
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL550...egard+flatwave

It didn't work out for me, my TV seemed to find a handful of channels but I could only get one to appear sporadically and it would freeze my TV and I'd have to shut it off. I'm not sure if it was an issue with my antenna, TV, or just not a strong enough signal. I don't have a signal strength meter in my TV.

I tried the antenna on another TV but it wasn't an HDTV and didn't work. I'm not sure if an HDTV antenna is supposed to work on a non HDTV or not.

I'm basically looking for local broadcast channels to get news, prime time, and want to get a good setup in place before the real college football season starts.

TIA
Seattleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2014, 5:36 AM   #2
teleview

+=>

What is the Make and Model Number of the Tv??

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc. ??

What directions do windows face??

What directions do patios face??

What directions do balconies face??

How many floors??

What is the top floor??

What is the Make and Model number of the Tv??

Last edited by teleview; 27-Aug-2014 at 5:39 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Aug-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Stereocraig

You should not need an amplified antenna at your location.
It is probably being overdriven by strong signals.

Make sure your TV is set to antenna input, not cable, before you do a channel scan.

Your other TV does NOT need to be HD, it needs to have a digital tuner to work.

Every antenna ever made as far back as the dinosaurs, will be HDTV, digital and COLOR compatible.

The only thing a person needs to concern themselves with, is that it covers the bands that are available in a given area. (Real channels, not virtual)
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2014, 5:26 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

While we are at it, can you tell us the make and model of the TV you're testing with?

If you're location is like the majority of the NW, you have some fairly substantial trees near your home. This can force you to use a larger antenna and/or put some added effort into finding a mounting solution that helps overcome the obstruction.

Based on your report, one would hope that a modest indoor antenna would be adequate. My local experience includes the use of large 'deep fringe' antennas in situations that appeared to be like yours.

Will you consider a mid to large size antenna, mounted outside if the need is proven?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 4:55 AM   #5
Seattleite

My preference is for something that installs easily. I'm not very mechanically handy, which is why I was hoping for good luck with this indoor sticky idea. I don't mind other ideas but I don't want my house to be dominated by an antenna. I do have a fair amount of large evergreen trees around that are 50-100ft. Does the signal need to be direct line of sight?

I have a 2 story house with windows most directions, I tried the antenna facing many positions downstairs. My TV is too big to move, Lt-37131a http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-LT-...pr_product_top

When it would come on for a moment, it would freeze and then would blink the blue light frequently like it was booting up but not constantly which online looked like something faulty in the TV. Downstairs windows close to TV are west and north, I tried other directions hanging on walls but got mostly the same thing each direction.

Downstairs, I couldn't get to SE facing windows and from my signal report it looked like that was the best.

I tried upstairs where I have a CRT TV, Panasonic CT 20658. This one I was able to point in other directions but I couldn't get any channels to register.

Thanks
Old 28-Aug-2014, 5:52 AM   #6
teleview

+=>

As a Test to prove reception.

Put a , Channel Master 4010 , indoor antenna.

In/at a 2nd floor , South West , West , facing window.

Aim the , CM4010 indoor antenna at about 235 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim , indoor and outdoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

----------------

Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the CM4010 indoor antenna and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax , Through The Inside Of The House to the Flat Screen Tv.

-------

http://www.summitsource.com.

Has the CM4010 , Summitsource part number , AN4010.

----------------

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

If you will like to bypass the indoor antenna test and install a antenna outside.

---------------------

Above the Peak of the Roof install a.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

CM4228HD , UHF/VHF antenna aimed at about 235 degree magnetic compass direction.

------------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. Install the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html. Measure around the chimney and install a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.

------------------

A antenna system amplifier is Not required.

Last edited by teleview; 31-Aug-2014 at 8:27 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 28-Aug-2014, 6:50 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

An online search for the manual was easy enough... The LT-37131A has the required ATSC capability that is needed for reception of over the air DTV signals. Have you set the antenna input to "Antenna" mode? (The default setting is 'Cable' which uses a different digital signal format.) And, have you scanned for channels?

That you saw a few channels makes me think you've already done this...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
No static at all

My 2 cents. If in your shoes I would consider the Winegard 1080. Compact, inexpensive, effective & easy to install.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 2:17 PM   #9
tomfoolery

That TV has two antenna inputs, both of which can receive OTA signals. Are you sure you've picked the correct input, or have the TV set to receive the input that's being used? With such strong signals, it's possible you can get a channel or two with nothing attached at all, or with the 'other' input being in close proximity.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 3:07 PM   #10
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite View Post
My preference is for something that installs easily. I'm not very mechanically handy, which is why I was hoping for good luck with this indoor sticky idea. I don't mind other ideas but I don't want my house to be dominated by an antenna. I do have a fair amount of large evergreen trees around that are 50-100ft. Does the signal need to be direct line of sight?

I have a 2 story house with windows most directions, I tried the antenna facing many positions downstairs. My TV is too big to move, Lt-37131a http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-LT-...pr_product_top
As mentioned by another poster, make sure the television is set to the proper input and is set to over-the-air mode. Press "Menu" on the remote, select the "Setup" icon, switch to the correct input, then press "Enter" on the remote to start the channel scan. Note that you can connect cable to one input, the antenna to the other, and switch between them using "Input" on the remote. You can also add or delete channels individually using the "Channel" icon, and there is a signal strength indicator, which is very helpful when using an antenna.

Quote:

When it would come on for a moment, it would freeze and then would blink the blue light frequently like it was booting up but not constantly which online looked like something faulty in the TV. Downstairs windows close to TV are west and north, I tried other directions hanging on walls but got mostly the same thing each direction.
Weak digital signals can produce unusual pictures.
Quote:

Downstairs, I couldn't get to SE facing windows and from my signal report it looked like that was the best.
I tried upstairs where I have a CRT TV, Panasonic CT 20658. This one I was able to point in other directions but I couldn't get any channels to register.
Press "Action" on the remote, select "Setup", then under "Prog Chan", select "Mode", press the right volume button and change it to "TV". Then use "Auto Program" to do a channel scan. This television can also manually add and delete channels.

Quote:

Thanks

Last edited by Ben Myers; 29-Aug-2014 at 8:01 AM.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 3:57 PM   #11
teleview

+=>

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/.../lt-37131.html.

Page 28 shows the Antenna connection at the back of the Tv.

Page 51 has information about the Signal Strength Meter.

In the manual , Says Yes has a , ATSC Tuner. DTV Tuner.

The ATSC Tuner is for reception of the Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

The manual explains about scanning for Analog Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels

and Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

Last edited by teleview; 28-Aug-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 30-Aug-2014, 9:20 PM   #12
Seattleite

Thanks for all the replies. I did use both antenna inputs on the back and successfully scan channels prior to posting. I read earlier posts which helped me sort out the antenna scan vs the cable scan so I think I got all that right. During the scan a handful of channels turned green suggesting they should come in, but I was never able to turn the channels up or down because they froze the screen and rebooted the TV.

I didn't see the signal strength, thanks @teleview for pointing it out. I'm not sure if I could use it because the channel that did come in restarted my TV. Based on the replies, I'll get the cm 4010 from amazon because shipping is cheaper to evaluate the larger cm 4228hd or Winegard 1080 which I'll need to get help to install.

Stay tuned
Old 31-Aug-2014, 8:36 AM   #13
teleview

+=>

The Signal Strength Meter Can Used For Tv Signals That Are Both Strong And Weak And Any Where In Between Signal Strengths.

--------------------------

For best reception , put the CM4010 indoor type antenna in/at the upstairs ~West Window~ and run a Continues Length of New RG-6 Coax through the inside of the house direct to the Tv.