TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Mar-2014, 5:28 PM   #1
lilbrownjon

Need advice regarding multiple TVs

Hello TV Fool Community,

I recently installed a ClearStream 2V outdoor antenna. It is mounted on the side of my house, feeds into a junction box - and then there's another box inside my master bedroom closet where I am able to split the main feed throughout my home. Right now, I'm just working with two TVs and two rooms.

My TV downstairs (a 52" Sony Bravia) has no issues - I get a signal of 80+ on all the major channels, and then some. My TV upstairs, however, cannot hold a signal on any of the channels. When monitoring the signal strength, it seems to fluctuate between full bars and nothing at all (it's a Samsung LCD 550 series - so instead of giving me a numerical value for signal strength, it shows me bars like a cell phone). Any ideas on what might be going on here, and/or ideas to troubleshoot and correct it?

Based on my own troubleshooting, I've narrowed it down to the TV itself - possibly the built-in tuner. Here's why (and btw - I'm no expert, so feel free to put me in my place!).

- The TV upstairs is technically a shorter distance to the feed than my TV downstairs that has no issues, so I don't think it has anything to do with cable length.

- If my splitter was faulty, and/or if the signal is too weak to distribute between multiple TVs, then both TVs should be spotty, but that's not the case here.

- I tried swapping the coax cable that connects the problematic TV to the wall, but the problem persists.

- I thought it might be internal wiring with the room where the problematic TV sits. But that same line has used Verizon Fios in the very recent past - i.e. I just disconnected it last week, and I'm still paying for service until I get this antenna issue resolved - and I never had issues.

- I tried connecting just the problematic TV directly (no splitter) to the feed, and the problem persists.

I'm thinking about buying a standalone tuner to see if that helps the issue.

Other than that, HELP! :/

-lilbrownjon
lilbrownjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2014, 5:41 PM   #2
lilbrownjon

Ooops, forgot to include my signal analysis:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94cf7107748d
lilbrownjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2014, 5:45 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

The available signals are plentiful and strong. The C2-V should be doing well if it has a reasonably clear view toward Mt. Wilson.

I tend to think your diagnosis is quite possibly correct... But, have you tried connecting the antenna to one TV at a time using just a single new cable?

You may also want to try installing an FM trap, which would reduce the potential for a powerful FM station causing trouble with TV reception. (Some tuners are less able to deal with FM interference.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Mar-2014 at 5:53 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
----
To Prove one way or the other and what the actual problem or problems are.

Connect a NEW Continues length of coax to the antenna and run the NEW Continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to one Tv and then direct to the other Tv.

No splitters , No couplers , Just a Continues length of coax from the antenna to the Tv/s.

Scan for channels on each Tv.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcst Tv Stations/Channels.

Do not channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Do not channel scan for only Analog Tv channels.

If the Tuner in the Tv is still not working correctly , then here are some Digital Tuners that can be connected to the Tv.

www.epvision.com

The coaxes through out the inside and outside of the building that are used for the antenna system must only be used for the antenna system and Must Not Be connected to Any Type Or Kind of Fios delivered services and Must Not Be connected to Any Type Or Kind of cable tv delivered services.

Any Type Or Kind means Any Type Or Kind , Not Fios delivered or cable delivered cable channels , Not Fios delivered or cable delivered internet service , Not Fios delivered or cable delivered phone service , Or any other type or kind of Fios delivered or cable delivered service.

Remove , splitters , couplers , and other devices that have any thing to do with Fios or cable delivered services.

If their has been satellite service , remove the devices that have to do with satellite service.

Coax -->Every Where<- and coax connectors , and couplers , and splitters , and any other type or kind of devices that are connected to coax Can Be Defective.

The Digital Current Plus Pending Applications Included Channels List and Radar Report shows Tv stations in the directions of , North West , West , North East , East.

For improved reception of Tv stations of those directions install the , CS2V , Clear Stream2 UHF/VHF antenna.

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North West , West , North East , East.

Aim the antenna at about 270 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception with a Tv Antenna in the directions of reception and so do , attics , roofs , buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Apr-2014 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.