TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Nov-2013, 4:59 PM   #1
tv4jt

Ditching cable in Escondido CA

Just moved to Escondido CA and after reviewing Cox’s pricing decided to see where I could get with an antenna. Went to the local bestbuy and picked up a C2V to see what I could get for stations.

The C2V picked up between 10-20 stations depending on where I placed it. Never intending to keep the C2V from bestbuy (knowing their price isn’t going to be competitive) I began looking at my options online and eventually ended up here.

Found this thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13494 , while I assume most the recommendations would apply to me I noticed his report did not list any channels to the north and all the paths are listed as 1Edge/2Edge while several of mine are listed as LOS.

My reports:
Default: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae143745e031
10ft: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aeabd674a4f9
25ft: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aee16f97ef7e

So the obvious question, what antennas would work best for me? Should they be mounted as high as possible and at what angles? Would I need more than two antennas if I wanted to pick up the northern channels? If so would it be worth it/ would I then have problems with overlapping channels?

Also while I was looking for the starting point of my cable wiring in my home I found this amplifier.
SVI Digital Subscriber Powered Amplifier SV-A15-4PRS - http://www.shopping.com/svi-commscop...4w==/info?sb=1
Can/should I use this in my installation?

Thanks in advance!
tv4jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2013, 9:14 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The C2V is a well built antenna. I would not offer it as my preferred suggestion in your situation though.

You say that you get between 10 and 20 stations... that suggests that the reliability of some signals is poor. (Y/N?)

If I was stating from scratch I'd use two antennas. The Antennas Direct DB4e (facing about 150°) and Antennacraft Y10713 (pointing at 191°). Mount above the roof, avoiding obstructions if at all possible. I'd suggest the RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier which has inputs for each antenna.

The Comscope distribution amplifier may prove unnecessary or even troublesome if the output of the preamplifier is too powerful. Try it, but be prepared to replace it with a passive splitter.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Nov-2013 at 9:17 PM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2013, 2:36 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-------
Because you have the C2V now.

Test reception with the C2V , Above The Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , South West , South , South East.

Aim the C2V antenna at about 150 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

---

Use the RCA amplifier in the combined single antenna mode.

Set the FM radio Trap the In position.

----

Do not use your amplifier with the RCA amplifier , using 2 amplifiers will most likely be the cause of reception and distribution problems.

----

Test reception with 1 Tv connected , No splitter.

If reception goes well with 1 Tv connected and no splitter.

Then for 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

3 Tv's connected use a , HFS-3D .

4 Tv's connected use a , HFS-4D .

Buy the , HFS , splitters at www.solidsignal.com .

-------

Here are some places to buy.

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

------

To clear the Tv tuner for a fresh channel scan , do a Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-------

As Always, trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception , and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not the only Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflections bouncing around

---

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type of kind in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 25-Nov-2013 at 6:50 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Nov-2013, 7:56 PM   #4
tv4jt

Thanks for the info, I plan on ordering the antennas and amplifier you suggested this week. Was also interested in your opinions on digital converter boxes. Is there much difference from one to another? What ones would you recommend?

Also neither of you mentioned the stations listed to the north of me. Should I just ignore these?
Old 1-Dec-2013, 7:37 PM   #5
tv4jt

bump for converter box input

thanks again
Old 2-Dec-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

First, be sure you actually need a converter. If your TV was built after 2007, the FCC mandated that it have a tuner capable of OTA digital (ATSC/8VSB) reception. Check the spec's, an online search for the manual based on your model number will usually answer the question. Virtually all TV's with digital capable tuners default to cable mode, so you'll need to use the setup menu on your TV to change the tuner to 'air' or 'antenna' mode. Cable and OTA use different digital formats.

If you opt for a converter, consider the HD capable units referenced in this thread: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

Unless you are willing to go to extraordinary measures, the signals to the north are too weak.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Dec-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Northern signals
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
teleview

+=>
------
www.epvision.com

Has HD converter / recorders .

--------

www.channelmasterstore.com

Has HD converter / recorders .