TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Aug-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
mephiska

Antenna for house in a valley

Hello,

I want to do the switch and get my channels OTA. Problem is my house is not situated in the best of areas and I have some rolling, somewhat mountainous terrain between me & the transmitters.

Here is my antenna signal report

I would like to get everything on the 215 & 206 degrees, and Ideally optionally maybe with a secondary antenna get the few stations at 148 degrees, but I don't know how possible this is.

On the plus side there is a mast in place that looks grounded and secure. so I can mount the antenna fairly high up. There's already some sort of an antenna on the mast but I have no idea what model it is nor what frequencies it's designed for. Here's a picture of the mast:

What type of antenna(s) and other equipment should I get in order to receive these stations?

Thank you for this fantastic site!
mephiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 4:14 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You're going to need to use a large antenna or combination of antennas.

I'd suggest the Antennas Direct 91XG (UHF) and Antennacraft Y10713 (High-VHF). Use an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp which has inputs for each antenna.

I would also plan on mounting 10' or so above the peak of the roof.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 2:17 PM   #3
mephiska

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the 91XG recommended frequently, so I'll certainly go with that. A couple questions:

Since you recommend the high VHF antenna, how should they be mounted? Can I mount them both on the same pole, one above the other, or should they be mounted side-by-side?

If I need to go 10' above the roof line I'll need to extend the pole a bit. I'm unsure of the diameter of the existing mast. What would be the safest and most secure way to extend it? Could I just get a 10' pole from home depot and clamp it to the existing pole in some way?
Old 27-Aug-2013, 3:25 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I am waiting for a 5' tripod myself. (Ronard model 811). If installed correctly (including pitch pads under each 'foot') a tripod makes a very durable, long lasting & leak-free mast base.

I'm using a 10.5' chain-link fence top rail for the mast.

I would mount the 91XG at the top. In your case, take advantage of the tilt function built into the clamp mechanism. Aim for the ridge top between you and the transmitters.

Mount the VHF antenna about 4' below the upper antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-Oct-2013 at 9:34 PM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 8:30 PM   #5
teleview

The current broadcast Tv channels that are broadcast and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF channels 14 thru 51.

The antenna that is on the pole looks like a antenna that is designed to receive the UHF channels 14 thru 51 the best.

Aim the antenna at about 162 degree maqgnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Old School magnetic compass to aim antenna.

If ,

KNTV-DT , REAL VHF high band digital channel 12 , virtual number (11.1) NBC.

Is not received well , then install this 1 antenna solution.

Install a Antenna Craft HD850 all channel in places of the UHF antenna.

If the preamp is a all channel preamp and is in working condition , it should be Ok to use with the HD850 antenna.

Aim the HD850 antenna at about 162 degree magnetic compass direction.

I will like to know the make and model number of the preamp.

For the preamp to function , the power supply , power injector , preamp , need to be connected.

All three componets of the preamp unit can be on the input side of a splitter or use a splitter that will pass power through one or more of the input and output ports of the splitter , if the power supply and power injector are connected on the output of a splitter.

In other words , for the preamp unit that is out close to the antenna to function , the preamp unit must have power.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv station/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digita Tv's will Automatic channels scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 28-Aug-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 1-Oct-2013, 4:22 PM   #6
mephiska

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
If ,

KNTV-DT , REAL VHF high band digital channel 12 , virtual number (11.1) NBC.

Is not received well , then install this 1 antenna solution.

Install a Antenna Craft HD850 all channel in places of the UHF antenna.

If the preamp is a all channel preamp and is in working condition , it should be Ok to use with the HD850 antenna.

Aim the HD850 antenna at about 162 degree magnetic compass direction.

I will like to know the make and model number of the preamp.

For the preamp to function , the power supply , power injector , preamp , need to be connected.

All three componets of the preamp unit can be on the input side of a splitter or use a splitter that will pass power through one or more of the input and output ports of the splitter , if the power supply and power injector are connected on the output of a splitter.

In other words , for the preamp unit that is out close to the antenna to function , the preamp unit must have power.
The preamp is a Winegard ANWI8700 Signal Amplifier. I can dig around for the power supply for it, I'm sure I have it somewhere.

I'll try things with just the 850 to start, and if I can't get enough channels I will try and add the 2nd antenna.
Old 1-Oct-2013, 4:40 PM   #7
mephiska

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Aim the antenna at about 162 degree maqgnetic compass direction.
Just curious, why 162 degrees? The stations I want are mostly around 200 degrees.
Old 1-Oct-2013, 7:48 PM   #8
teleview

The , Tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Tv stations/channels map and channel list shows the the 2 main groups of Tv stations are to the , South and South East.

The 162 magnetic compas aim direction is a in between aim direction of the 2 main groups of stations.

Also with the antenna aimed at about 162 degrees magnetic compass direction , that puts the other receivable Tv stations/transmitters that are other directions at angles to the antenna.

Directional Tv antennas receive the the best at the front of the antenna and then to a lesser degree at the front angles to the directional antenna.

Then also to a lesser degree at the back angles and back of the directional antenna.

Directional antennas receive the Least amount of signal directly on the sides of the antenna.

So looking at where the Receivable Tv stations/transmitters are at and taking the directions/locations factors into concideration , 162 magnetic compass direction is a good starting aim direction to have the other Tv transmitters at angles to the antenna.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.
_____

Last edited by teleview; 1-Oct-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 13-Oct-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
mephiska

Antenna installed! I'm getting (some) of the local channels I wanted, namely the two I wanted most, KTVU and KQED. I ended up pointing the antenna at roughly 190 degrees to get the most channels. I don't get KNTV, the NBC affiliate but that may be a lost cause as it's in San Jose, pretty far from me.

I still need to raise it up a bit though as it's only about 3 ft above the roof line. The mast is a 1" threaded pipe, so I should be able to add a short pipe onto it and get it extended to the right height. But so far reception on the stations I was most concerned with is fine.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll come back and update if I can improve things any further.
Old 14-Oct-2013, 4:01 AM   #10
teleview

Practical and useful Information.

Install the AP 8700 preamplifier.

Digital broadcast Tv tuners can develop -Digital Glitches-that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , www.whcstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf