TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jan-2011, 1:04 PM   #1
smcrae43

Have A 30db amp, question.

I mounted a Antennacraft® MXU59, high gain outdoor antenna above my roof and split off to two TVs. One TV has the 30db amp hooked up behind the screen and the other doesn't. The one with this amp works great of course the other doesn't but I switched connections at the 3-way splitter just to make sure - the splitter is fine and the other TV apparently needs a new amp as well.

Before I purchase the new amp, does anyone know if I can mount the amp right ahead of the 3-way splitter on the "in" side of the connections to "push" the amped signal instead of pull it from each TV?

If so that will at least save me some money and time on the project.

thanks
smcrae43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 4:28 PM   #2
Billiam

Yes, you can. I have that same antenna and others and that is how I did it. Run the pre amp before the splitter and that way both TV's can gain the benefit of the stronger signal.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 4:58 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

An amplifier will do the least damage to your hard won signal if it is placed right at the antenna.

I say damage because all amplifiers add some noise and distortion to the signals as they increase the signal level. The further from the antenna you go, the lower the signal level is. That means that the noise produced in the amplifier will be stronger relative to the desired signal.

All that to say, It's better to place an amplifier ahead of the splitter than at the receiver.

When you choose an amplifier, be careful to select one that will not be overloaded by the signals fed into it.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2011, 5:05 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

This person has other posts and has more going on then is telling. This does Not pass the smell test.

Last edited by John Candle; 25-Jan-2011 at 11:39 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 1:13 PM   #5
smcrae43

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf413e662d1ef

To re-cap I switched from that saucer multi-directional antenna and have a 108" long high gain UHF antenna sitting about 4 feet above the peak of my roof.

Have still 1 clear digital channel (CBS channel 6.1), and two pretty clear analog channels (ABC and KPTV Fox 12). The LOS channels, I can't seem to tune those in..... The TV Fool report says that channel 6.1 is not line of sight but its the only decent channel I have. Does my antenna need to go higher??? Or do I need lessons on reading azimuth better. I am pointing about 165 degrees toward the south-South East, but when you are up on a ladder and trying to hold the compass in one hand and pointing the antenna in the other, it's easy to loose track of just what direction is 165.

I also wish I could know the difference between a True and Magnetic reading.... That's a map to compass difference I assume???

thanks again All for your help!!!
Sam
Old 27-Jan-2011, 6:17 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

True north is based on the rotational axis of the earth. Magnetic north is based on the magnetic properties of the earth which are not lined up with the rotational axis. Use magnetic north when you are using a common magnetic compass.

You are no doubt seeing KOIN via real channel 23 (K23JK-D) http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ab...s/default.aspx

K35CR is a translator for KPTV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPTV If you are seeing it in analog on real channel 35, then the digital translator is not on the air yet.

There are many instances were there is information for a station in the FCC data base, yet the transmitter is not on the air. You can search online as we do, looking at the station websites, Wikipedia and other sources to try to mine the information. If you have the call sign for the ABS station, you should be able to do a Google search for that call sign and add the word "translators" after it. You may find the call sign of one of your local translators popping up. I know it's old school but you can call the stations and talk to their engineering folks, they are usually happy to help you if they can.

It's entirely possible that you are seeing all that's available to you at the moment.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Jan-2011 at 6:43 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 7:05 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

Everything you are seeing is LOS. To be sure, double-check the channel numbers you actually tune to for the analog channels.

Looking back on your report, note that all the LOS stations have call signs of KnnXX. These are all low-power transmitters, airing either original programming or relaying a distant station. Also note that three stations are listed twice, once as digital and once as analog.

Low-power stations were not required to stop analog broadcasting when full-power stations did. There is no fixed date that I recall, yet, so we are still in a transition between analog and digital. TVFool uses the extract the FCC provides of its database of station technical parameters. Ideally, the status of each station is accurately reflected, but the status of low-power stations is not maintained well. So, it's hard for programs like TVFool's model to know for sure whether the analog or the digital operation is operating.

Based on your TVFool report and what you tell us you are seeing, I believe you are picking up:

K23JK-D relaying KOIN (as GroundUrMast has said) in digital
K35CR relaying KPTV (Fox 12) in analog
K43EJ relaying KATU (ABC) in analog

There are two other translators listed: K19EI (relaying PBS) and K40EG (relaying KGW, NBC). K19EI filed a license to cover flash-cutting to digital operations back in '09, so they may be off-air for technical reasons. K40EG has filed a request to move to channel 28 for digital operations, but the FCC has not acted on it yet. K35CR has a permit to flash-cut to digital, but I guess they haven't done it yet.

You are not going crazy. You're getting just what the report says you should. It's all a matter of understanding what those channels carry.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 7:08 PM   #8
smcrae43

I did get PBS for about 3 days and then it went away. Must have been a fluke signal or reflection from the valley somehow because I was able to get all 5 of the PBS stations they transmit which come from various locations in the Willamette valley. Their website did say that the Mt. Hebo repeater was only transmitting 2 of their signals in digital. I was amazed and impressed no less - but then it disappeared and haven't been able to get it back. I agree that this may be all I get as far as what I see now. It does seem like I nailed getting the signal in that CBS is very clear. CBS=Mt. Hebo

Thanks for the tips on finding out what is converted. I'll check into their sites as well. Hopefully our local tower's equipment will be upgraded soon in that I too think the transition to full digital hasn't been completed yet.

thanks