TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jan-2011, 9:23 PM   #1
eliz

Ottawa Ontario (in city,west end, K2L 2Z8)

I was just notified by Rogers Cable that the price is going up, again.
I really only watch CBC, CTV, TVO, PBS (mostly). I can no longer
justify paying $65 per month. I would like to just get whatever is
available OTA. Certainly CBC, CTV and maybe A-Channel(whatever
it is called now) will be viewable.

I am aware of NetFlix, and I am interested but I don't watch a lot of movies.

Now, I have two tvs: one is very old and has rabbit ears. Last time I used it, it was working fine with the rabbit ears. I could watch CBC and CTV. I have another newer flat screen tv ;not great quality:

Insignia 26" LCD TV 720p.

I was just looking at the user guide and it says it has two HDMI jacks. So, I guess that means I can receive digital signals. What are my options with this newer tv? Can I get something that will feed the digital OTA signals into this tv? What is it called and where do I buy it in Ottawa, Ontario or in Toronto?

I'm hoping I don't need a big antenna on my house. I can't do that, at this point. I don't know enough about the topic. Is there an easier answer? (Digital rabbit ears, please)
eliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

You need to run a TVFool report for exact location and probable antenna height and share the link with us. I also suggest you consult with the OTA forum at digitalhome.ca. There will be a reception results thread for your area. They work with TVFool reports, too.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 8:11 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

We can help you , and as the other question askers have done you need to do this--> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4 Looking at the general area on the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool the the reception of the American Digital Tv Stations are weak and spotty. The reception of ALL the Canada Digital Tv Stations are Very Strong. You need to post a report with the exact address , put the antenna height at 30 feet for a shot at the American Digital Tv Stations.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 7:21 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 6:32 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Fortunately, your postal code narrows your location into a small geographic area: small enough to extrapolate a TVFool.com report from that information. You are lucky that the National Capital Region has more over-the-air reception than any other city in Canada, and, with the right antenna, you'll get many analog and digital stations.

Indoor antennas are rarely effective, and your reception quality will depend on your location in the building, the building construction materials, and the surrounding buildings. From what I can tell of your location, you are south of the Oueensway in Kanata, and about 22 KM south from the transmitters in the Gatineau hills, and about 27 KM from the transmitters from the Rogers Tower in Manotick, which lie southeast of you. Ottawa won't complete it's conversion to all-digital until the end of August, but has a number of digital HD transmitters already operating, including CBOT, SRC, SUNTv and OMNI, with others to follow shortly.

Because the transmitters lie in two different directions , you have some decisions to make: Are you willing to invest in a roof-mounted antenna? When will you purchase a digital converter for your second TV set, and you will also need to determine whether your Insignia TV has a built-in digital tuner. A model number will allow us to find out that information for you, if you aren't certain.

For the moment, get a cheap pair of rabbit ears and connect them to your Insignia TV, then go into the menu and have the tuner scan for digital signals. You should see a few stations available, like CBC and SRC, and maybe SUN and OMNI. If you have any success, get back to us, and we can better advise you: Winter is no time to be installing an outdoor antenna in Ottawa, anyway! LOL

PS: I used to live downtown in the Byward Market, and have done more than a few antenna for friends in the area.

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 23-Jan-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
John Candle

Post the tvfool report.
Old 30-Jan-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
eliz

Hi Guys:
Here is the report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf47f347a97ea

I went to Future Shop and bought a digital antenna. I get several channels, including
CBC (English & French), CTV(excellent reception!), CHCH (Toronto?), a couple of others that do not have the best reception. I'm please that I get CBC and CTV. I hope that as time goes by, I will be able to pick up TVO and PBS. I may require an outside antenna.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the result. Really sharp reception of CTV even though
my house is clad in aluminum siding. I am up high on the escarpment in the Katimavik area of Kanata.
eliz
Old 30-Jan-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
eliz

One more thing:
It seems strange that CBC does not come in as clearly as CTV. I seem to get slightly
better reception if I DO NOT use the "amplifier" that comes with the antenna.

eliz
Old 30-Jan-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but amplifiers are often the source of trouble. Your report indicates strong signals, which no doubt overload the amplifier in your antenna.

CTV may already be broadcast in digital, hence the clear, sharp reception. CBC is obviously still broadcast in analog format. The fine folks at http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/ will be up to date regarding the Canadian switch to digital broadcasting.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jan-2011 at 11:38 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
John Candle

F.T.A. Free To Air Satellite Tv

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265
Old 1-Feb-2011, 1:25 AM   #10
eliz

Is there a better indoor antenna than the RCA Digital Flat Amplified Antenna that I bought at Future Shop? I did look at the digitalhome site but some/many of the posts seem to be old. I saw one indoor antenna that an outdoor look to it (compared with my antenna that looks like a large ceramic tile).

If anyone out there has bought an indoor antenna and uses it in Ottawa, let me know. I can return this antenna in thirty days if I find a better one. Thanks
Old 1-Feb-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

CBC, Omni and a few other stations are currently broadcasting in digital in Ottawa, but CTV is not yet digital. CJOH is a very powerful station that broadcasts from the big Camp Fortune tower in Gatineau, and it doesn't surprise me that it comes in well, if you had a digital tuner, you'd also get an excellent digital signal on CBOT. Since there is so much broadcasting in Ottawa, you should really consider a roof-mounted antenna when the weather is more hospitable.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Dave Loudin

Eliz, people are posting there all the time. You should post your TVFool report in them reception results thread for your part of Ottawa and see what advice they give you.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

The Postal Codes of Canada define a much more specific geographical area than US zip codes do: It is actually possible to derive a meaningful TVFool.com reception report based on using only a Postal code from Canada, unlike the US, where Zip Codes are much less geographically distinct.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
John Candle

Even so , the Canada question askers can provide a meaningful tvfool radar report , the whole country is not flat , there are mountains and hills and valleys in Canada. And other Canadian question askers have demonstrated a Desire to Hide Information. This makes it hard to figure out the correct antenna and etc.. I have come to the understanding that the Political and Business Climate of Canada is not a friendly situation , thats why Canadians are Hiding. . Here is information. This information is true for the USA and Canada. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , , Here are NON Amplified indoor antennas I found to buy in Canada. . http://www.pricebat.ca/Terk-HDTVI-HD...nna.p_10089694 , http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Tv...927-TV-antenna , http://www.techdepotcanada.com/servlet/Categories , sdv2710/27. .NON and NO are the same , NO amplifier means NO amplifier. Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . The NON Amplified indoor Tv antennas listed here receive in 2 directions / 2 sides. At your location aim one side of the NON Amplified indoor Tv antenna in the direction of 151 magnetic compass and this will enable the NON Amplified antenna to receive Digital Tv Stations from the directions of 10/23 and 123 magnetic compass. The Canada transition is happening NOW , not at some date in the future.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 7:19 AM.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 1:47 AM   #15
John Candle

If you will like to watch Tv , answer these questions --> all of the questions. Is the place where you live the same place as the Tv's are at. Is this a , house , Apt. , condo , mobile home , motor home ?? How many stories does the building have ?? Does the building have a basement and if so are any Tv's in the basement ?? What stories do you live in and on , the basement the first floor the second floor the third floor etc. ?? Is the building wrapped with metal such as but not limited to metal siding or stucko with stucko WIRE ?? Does the structure have a metal roof ?? Does the roof have solar panels ?? Is there foil backed insulation in the building ?? Is the building made of poured concrete ?? Is the building wrapped with brick ?? Metal , absorbs , blocks and reflects Tv and radio transmissions. Thick walls made of poured concrete an brick , absorb , block and reflect Tv and radio transmissions. If the building is made of wood with wood siding or non metalic composite siding then that is the best.

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 3:46 AM.
Old 2-Feb-2011, 7:50 AM   #17
John Candle

The reception of the American Digital Tv Stations is not likely at your location. Starting with WNPI-Dt 23 and on down the Digital Tv Stations are Very Weak and have Adjacent channel warnings and Co-channels warnings. . Thats why in one of the above posts I suggest a F.T.A. System. . Also can go with ROKU/NETFLIX. Roku is the little box that receives 1,000s of streaming movies and Tv shows for 10 dollars or so a month. You can watch any thing on Roku/Netflix as many times as you like as often as you like and it's still the same price.