TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Jul-2012, 7:38 AM   #1
Kelly

Question What do I need for TV wit TIVO

Hi!

How lucky am I to have found this forum! I just canceled our cable (Comcast) because I was sick of paying hundreds of dollars a month for something that literally costs them pennies to provide. I am trying to figure out how to get tv reception and am not very tech savvy. Here is a link to our report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9900f21b2f585b

If I understand the report correctly, we should be able to get all of the major network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) with an indoor antennae? This would be my first preference since I really don't want dear hubby climbing up on the rooftop (we just had a baby). One thing I am a bit confused about is why the networks are listed more than once? Any explanation about that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what other information you need, so please excuse me if I ramble. I will be happy to answer any questions that anyone has. Here is our situation:

We live in Denver. We currently have an HDTV and TIVO. The houses in our neighborhood are relatively close together, although we are on a corner lot. The house on our South side is about 40 feet away and we have open space (i.e., a street) to the West and North. There are lots of old, large trees on our block. The exterior of our house is brick on the first level and brick/wood on the second, but we only watch tv on the first level. We do have lots of large windows and glass doors, and the tv is positioned directly to the left of two large french doors if that makes a difference. I can't think of anything else that might be relevant. Could someone recommend a good, strong indoor antennae or explain why we need a roof mount (if we do)?

Also, I read somewhere that we could potentially get cable channels very cheap if we purchase NetFlix (since we have TIVO). If anyone has any advice to offer on that I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance!

Kelly
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 4:59 PM   #2
teleview

Tv Reception.

A simple reception situation.

Put a Terk HDTVi non amplified indoor antenna in a window that is toward the west. Aim the HDTVi at about 255 degree magnetic compass (west).

The best reception will happen with the HDTVi in a window that has a good view to the west , however you can also try reception with the antenna further inside the house.

A long coax can be used to connect the antenna to the Tv if the Tv is some distance away from the window.

Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The main groups of Tv transmitters are to the west.

Many , many , many , Tv stations/channels will be received.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Most likely will not find the HDTVi local . Most likely be better to order from solidsignal or amazon.

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channel' or 'Antenna Channels in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Thanks for providing the Very Good description of your reception situation , shows you are reading the other posts and putting 2 and 2 together and doing creative understanding.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 6:17 PM   #3
Kelly

Dear Teleview,

Thank you very much for such a quick and helpful response! I have one follow-up question to your post. I am wondering whether I might be able to spend just a little extra money and buy an antennae with an amplifier (or something like that) to avoid having to run a long cable from a west-side window to the tv? The reason I ask this is that we have a baby who is crawling and pulling herself up on everything, and our house has an open floor plan. There is a large picture window in the front of the house (West) where we could put the antennae, but the tv is mounted to an interior wall in the middle of the house and directly adjacent to two large french doors that face South. Unfortunately, any cable connecting the two would span doorways, archways, etc and would be a danger to the baby. I was just thinking that if I could spend a little extra money on something that I could put near the tv, it would be a bit better for us.

Thanks so much!

Kelly
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2012, 6:49 PM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

The Tv stations/channels to the west are Very Strong and will most likely over load a amplifier and be the cause of bad or no reception of some channels.

If the house has , no metal siding , no metal roof , no solar panels , no stucko Wire , to reduce or block reception.

Then the reception should be fine with the antenna further inside the house.

Aim the HDTVi at about 155 degree magnetic compass (west).

Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Aim the narrow end of the UHF antenna at about 155 degree magnetic compass. The UHF antenna will be flat horizontal position .

Do not turn the UHF antenna vertical up and down.

Extend out the VHF channels reception rods and put them in a low vee shape angle.

If you will like to install a antenna in the attic , install a Winegard HD7000R antenna in the attic aimed at about 155 degree magnetic compass.

The HD7000R is a small easy to install antenna in the attic.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2012 at 6:55 PM.
Old 24-Jul-2012, 7:11 PM   #5
teleview

Tv Reception.

Netflix/Roku and a ever increasing number of internet streaming services are being built in to Tv's and dvd players. Go to Walmart and you will see the devices that internet delivered services built right in and you will also see the Netflix /Roku boxes.

It's not the bundling of cable Tv as you know it , or , bundling of satellite Tv as you know it.

The programs/shows are more a on demand situation , you select shows/programs and watch them.

And there are much more diverse shows/programs available.

Walmart sells the low end to middle of the road electronics.

Places like Best buy will have the middle of the road to higher end electronics . you can also find out more on the internet.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Jul-2012 at 4:44 AM.