TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jan-2012, 3:10 PM   #1
Bovine0001

Need help picking out an antenna

Hello all,

I really have no experience with antennas. I am trying to cancel my cable and want to try an antenna for OTA HDTV instead. That said, I am not invested enough to place an outdoor antenna and I know that limits my options.

I would guess an amplified antenna is best, as it is indoors but I would really love some help on the right antenna for my location.

Here is my report, I live in a wood house with little obstruction from buildings around me. I have the best unobstructed view from hills to the North and west, and worst in the east and south.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb9fccb360706

Thank in advanced
Bovine0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 3:25 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your in an excellent location for trying an indoor antenna.

Consider the Terk HDTVi. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2012, 7:32 PM   #3
Bovine0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your in an excellent location for trying an indoor antenna.

Consider the Terk HDTVi. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828
Dangit, I committed a cardinal sin. I forgot to write in my first note, I have tried this unit and I had a real hard time getting more than few stations, including FOX. I would like this one so I gave up on it. Perhaps I should try the Terk again, if there is a way to make it work better. I did not have instructions so perhaps I am pointing it the wrong way?
Old 5-Jan-2012, 8:25 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

When did you try the Terk HDTVi, and did you receive analog, digital or both?

Digital reception usually requires you to change from cable to antenna or 'air' mode using the setup menu system of your television. failure to set the tuner to antenna mode may still allow reception of the few analog signals still on the air.

If you did receive a few digital signals, but it was a few years ago, before the bulk of the analog to digital transition in 2009, I wold try again. The adjustable rods are at the back of the HDTVi, point the front toward the SSW for most signals and NW for another group. In either case, placing the antenna so it has a view through the least obstructions will give it the best opportunity to intercept usable signals.

If your house is sided or insulated with materials that include metal, it may be very difficult to find usable signal inside the house.

Old 6-Jan-2012, 2:39 AM   #5
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Aim the indoor antenna at about 155 degree magnetic compass. Do not bury the antenna deep inside the house , have the antenna to the outside wall or better yet a window. Outside walls of wood construction with wood or plastic siding is the best. . Siding that is any type or kind of metal such as but not limited to metal siding or stucko with stucko Wire will reduce or block tv transmissions. Concrete walls will reduce and block tv reception. Brick siding from ground to roof will reduce or block reception. Metal backed insulation will reduce or block reception. A metal roof will reduce or block reception. Solar panels will reduce or block reception.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Bovine0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
When did you try the Terk HDTVi, and did you receive analog, digital or both?

Digital reception usually requires you to change from cable to antenna or 'air' mode using the setup menu system of your television. failure to set the tuner to antenna mode may still allow reception of the few analog signals still on the air.

If you did receive a few digital signals, but it was a few years ago, before the bulk of the analog to digital transition in 2009, I wold try again. The adjustable rods are at the back of the HDTVi, point the front toward the SSW for most signals and NW for another group. In either case, placing the antenna so it has a view through the least obstructions will give it the best opportunity to intercept usable signals.

If your house is sided or insulated with materials that include metal, it may be very difficult to find usable signal inside the house.
I have my TV set for antenna.

These are the channels I get regardless the way I aim it.
9-1, 9-2, 16-1, 16-2, 34-1, 34-2

This seems too few, and I should be able to get a lot more than that with so manay transmittors nearby.

Another funny thing is, i put in 19 and it tells me channel 34. I hope my TV tuner isn't screwed.
Old 6-Jan-2012, 5:40 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if the location of the antenna and the building construction combine to shield the antenna's view of the stations SSW of your location.

I would opt for a small outdoor antenna such as the RCA ANT-751. If you don't want to do that, you still have the option to try locating the indoor antenna in the attic or at a window with a better 'view' of the available signals. Radio Shack and the home improvement centers stock pre-connectorized RG-6 cables and F-barrel connectors.

Many tuners require that you re-scan to add signals once you have made changes to the antenna location.

It sounds like your tuner allows you to enter real channel numbers directly. Per rabbitears.info, KLSR broadcasts a fill-in signal on real channel 19. For branding purposes, DTV provides the ability to send a virtual channel ID for each sub-channel. In the case of KLSR, your are apparently receiving their fill-in transmitter signal from the NW and your TV is doing it's job, displaying the virtual channel information imbedded in the data stream.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Jan-2012 at 5:47 PM.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 5:02 AM   #8
Electron

The tv stations are in these directions , One station at 291 degree magnetic compass - west. A group of tv stations at about 344 degree magnetic compass - north and a little west. A group of tv stations at about 33 degree magnetic compass - north east. A group of Tv stations at about 145 degree magnetic compass - south east.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 5:21 AM   #9
Electron

For reception of the tv stations in the listed directions around the compass , install a http://www.antennacraft.net , U8000 antenna aimed at about 359 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. . So that the U8000 will receive the tv stations that I listed of directions around the compass , the reflector rods of the U8000 antenna will be removed , to remove the reflector rods is easy , drill out the rivets that hold the metal clips that hold the reflector rods. . Now the >< shaped metal receiving elements will receive the tv stations at the front and back of the antenna. . Here are some roof top antenna mounts , http://www,ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html. Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com

Last edited by Electron; 8-Jan-2012 at 3:47 AM.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 4:45 PM   #10
Bovine0001

Great Advice folks. Thanks for everything. I need experiment and figure out how much antenna I can put on the outside of my place before my wife will skin me alive.

thanks again.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 5:00 PM   #11
Electron

Looking for and taking action on , a easy way out , will get you in more trouble.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 4:03 PM   #12
Bovine0001

Well, after lots of fiddling with the antenna I can get ABC, NBC and crappy FOX. I really only want these stations. Would an internal antenna with an amplifier help? I basically wonder if the amplified antennas are any good.
Old 10-Jan-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovine0001 View Post
Well, after lots of fiddling with the antenna I can get ABC, NBC and crappy FOX. I really only want these stations. Would an internal antenna with an amplifier help? I basically wonder if the amplified antennas are any good.
If anything, an amplifier will hurt. You have more than ample signal strength to get ABC (KEZI RF-09), CBS/This TV (KVAL RF-13), FOX/MyNetwork TV (KLSR RF-31), NBC/CW+ (KMTR RF-17), and PBS (KOAC RF-07). As close as you are to several of the transmitters, your reception may be suffering from multi-path signals. I have found that a signal attenuator may help. This is particularly the case if you live in an apartment with steel structure. Transmitters are in two distinct directions from you--33° by the compass and 145° by the compass. You also have stations at 335° to magnetic compass. I would think that an unamplified VHF/UHF indoor antenna would work well. If your antenna is amplified, then my guess is that the total strength being received is saturating the amplifier.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-2012, 1:32 AM   #14
Bovine0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
If anything, an amplifier will hurt. You have more than ample signal strength to get ABC (KEZI RF-09), CBS/This TV (KVAL RF-13), FOX/MyNetwork TV (KLSR RF-31), NBC/CW+ (KMTR RF-17), and PBS (KOAC RF-07). As close as you are to several of the transmitters, your reception may be suffering from multi-path signals. I have found that a signal attenuator may help. This is particularly the case if you live in an apartment with steel structure. Transmitters are in two distinct directions from you--33° by the compass and 145° by the compass. You also have stations at 335° to magnetic compass. I would think that an unamplified VHF/UHF indoor antenna would work well. If your antenna is amplified, then my guess is that the total strength being received is saturating the amplifier.
I don't have an amplified antenna. I live in a suburb with wooden structures. But, I have ceiling heat which has a significant amount of heating elements in the ceiling. This could create some problems, I would presume. So, would the attenuator still help?

In terms of aiming, I have aimed my Terk HDTVi at all the above locations and have been able to improve my reception only in the fact that I have gotten a very bad version of FOX and occasionally PBS.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovine0001 View Post
I don't have an amplified antenna. I live in a suburb with wooden structures. But, I have ceiling heat which has a significant amount of heating elements in the ceiling. This could create some problems, I would presume. So, would the attenuator still help?

Your heating elements in the ceiling certainly don't help. If you live in the suburbs, then I strongly recommend that you discretely mount an external antenna. You have line-of-sight to strong signals from affiliates for every major broadcast network--and quite a few minor broadcast networks. If you stick with the indoor antenna, then a signal attenuator may help. You may purchase an inline attenuator from Amazon.com, variable attenuators from Antennas Direct, and other reputable vendors. I recommend a variable attenuator.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote