TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jan-2014, 4:40 PM   #1
cardinal

OTA Antenna Recommendation for Dallas, TX

Hi guys, could use a recommendation for indoor and outdoor antenna (if indoor simply won't cut it) for apartment living in Dallas, TX.

TV fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aedb9424d710

The channels I'm interested in are the HD national ones - CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc. which all seem to be in the Grey zone which means I probably need a large directional antenna with amp ?

If that's correct, what's a good one for that category ?

TIA.
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jan-2014, 5:50 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

WXAS (NBC), KTVT (CBS, WFAA (ABC), KDFW (Fox) and KERA (PBS) are all local signal that should be easy to receive, quite likely using an inexpensive indoor antenna such as the Terk HDTVi or any UHF/VHF passive (non amplifier) rabbit-ear style antenna. An RCA ANT-751 would be a great apartment/condo solution that will fit in the area of a porch/balcony.

The signals at the bottom of the list are the object of a DX hobbyist's crusade... not likely to be received unless you use a custom built antenna system and the weather is just right.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jan-2014, 6:21 PM   #3
cardinal

thanks ! that's extremely helpful feedback, i have no idea how to read that report and i don't want to deal with an outdoor antenna unless absolutely necessary.

is terk a good brand/solution ? i've read mixed reviews some saying their products aren't good, while some saying they're OK but just overpriced ?
Old 3-Jan-2014, 7:34 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

My impression of many of the reviews I've read re. various antennas and accessories is that many of the reviews are written by people who want to blame the equipment for their lack of knowledge.

Avoid an amplified indoor antenna. (It adds cost and in some cases actually can harm an otherwise good signal due to overloading). The Terk HDTVi is non-amplified, whereas the Terk HDTVa is amplified so I would pass on it. But again, I would also consider an inexpensive antenna... look through these - http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828

An indoor antenna may have trouble if you don't have a southern view. You may want to buy from a store with a liberal return policy, in case you need to step up to an outdoor solution.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 3-Jan-2014 at 7:37 PM.
Old 3-Jan-2014, 7:41 PM   #5
cardinal

thank you !!

i was looking at the Terk HDTVa because folks said the amplifier could be turned off and not affect the signal... not sure if that's entirely true or not as i read other posts that said the amp may be off but it's still connected and degrades the signal ?

just alot of misinformation on the web, so i really appreciate all this help !
Old 3-Jan-2014, 8:12 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

If for no other reason, I'd avoid the HDTVa due to cost. The extra money spent is not likely to add any significant value.

Old 3-Jan-2014, 8:36 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
-----
The inside of buildings and attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will Be a Tv antenna reception environment.

Windows and patio/balconies are better for Tv antenna reception because windows and patio/balconies are less obstruction to Tv antenna reception.

Better Tv antenna reception is above the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , Tv antenna reception in the directions of reception.

------

Your apartment Tv antenna reception.

The Main group of Digital Broadcast Tv transmitters is/are to the , South West.

The Tv reception signal strengths are Very Strong Signal Strengths at your reception location.

Strong signal strength to the point that a antenna amplifier can be over loaded , a strong signal strength overloaded amplifier will result in bad reception of some channels.

Do not use any type or kind of amplified antenna or add on antenna system amplifier.

Recommend use a Terk HDTVi , Non amplified antenna , not the HDTVa amplified antenna.

Put the HDTVi , in/at , window or patio/balcony window / door glass , that is as a first choice towards the , South West , or toward the West or South.

Aim the HDTVi antenna at about 204 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

As always the starting antenna aim direction is the -->starting antenna aim direction.

The aim direction and antenna location can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

-------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC - Digital Broadcast Tv Stations Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ Antenna Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for channels.

----------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.amazon.com.

http://www.solidsignal.com.

---------------

Do Not use a omnidirectional antenna.

The Multi-Path Reflections Tv signals bouncing all around inside buildings and attics can result in the Digital Tv Tuner receiving more multi-path then tuners computer can correct , a Tv tuner overloaded with multi-path Tv signals bouncing all around will have bad reception on some channels.

Last edited by teleview; 4-Jan-2014 at 8:21 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.