TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Feb-2013, 2:07 AM   #1
Getstuff4less

Which antenna to get behind hills?

The hills worry me. http://binged.it/11APJIw
TV Fool report.

What are 8200u alternatives? Or is it overkill?
Getstuff4less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 5:48 PM   #2
elmo

Well, if you're concerned, why not buy the best signal collector you can get? That said, I assume you want those stations to the east of you. Your report was done at 10 ft, so I imagine you can do better with more height. You won't overcome the hills, but typically the higher, the better. I assume you have a clear view, free of trees and other nearby obstructions. The 8200 is a fine antenna that will cover both UHF & VHF for you. I'd aim it at 80 degrees by the compass.

Amazon doesn't seem to be price competitive on that antenna, so you probably can find a better price for it elsewhere with a little googling.

Last edited by elmo; 4-Feb-2013 at 6:01 PM.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 6:54 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Can you post TV Fool reports based on an antenna height of 25', 40' & 60'? It looks like you have a big hill/mountain near you, inline with the shot at Mt. Wilson.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 7:43 PM   #4
Getstuff4less

I assumed the house was 25ft
Old 4-Feb-2013, 9:20 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

I don't want to presume to know your preferences in programming. That said, most folks in the LA market will find most of the programing of interest is broadcast from facilities on Mt. Wilson (NW of your location). Several of the stations shown east of your location are not on the air, most others are carrying niche' market programming.

Your TVFR suggests you have a fairly good chance at receiving the High-VHF (CH7 through CH13) signals from Mt. Wilson. To do that, I would opt for an Antennacraft Y10713 (or even a stacked pair of Y10713's... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024). You will be facing a tough challenge given how close the blocking terrain is to your location.

The effect of the blocking terrain is more pronounced at UHF frequencies, so you'll need to use the biggest UHF antenna available to have a shot at the Mt. Wilson UHF channels. I would go with an Antennas Direct 91XG, for it's gain, directivity and also for it's boom tilt adjustment which you would use to tilt it up at the top of the hill/mountain that you see at 290°.

If you opt to try this, I would anticipate that you will want to install a preamp on the H-VHF and a separate preamp on the UHF antenna. The Antennas Direct CPA-19 would be my choice. The outputs of the to preamps can be combined with a UVSJ.
Old 4-Feb-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Getstuff4less

2-13 vhf and 34,52 uhf. Can you recommend a combo vhf/uhf antenna?
Old 4-Feb-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Going after the Mt. Wilson signals calls for a 'go big or go home' solution. You could try the Winegard HD7698P, it's not a huge step down from the combination I mentioned earlier.... good luck.
Old 5-Feb-2013, 8:43 PM   #8
Getstuff4less

Can someone post a better vhf antenna to avoid stacking? Also, I'm afraid sat installers on CL may not know the right degrees to point an antenna.
Old 6-Feb-2013, 1:56 AM   #9
Getstuff4less

Am I right to assume the 8200u originally posted is better? Also, how high should I put it?
Old 9-Feb-2013, 3:41 AM   #10
Getstuff4less

Hello,.

A 50 foot mast cost around $170 on Amazon.com. That's almost $100 more than the antenna costs! I need recommendations on a 25 through 50 foot antenna mast. Maybe Amazon isn't the best place to buy one.