TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Aug-2012, 4:10 AM   #1
cjground

Antenna Selection for Sunnyvale CA

Hi guys, looking to ditch cable and meet my minimal viewing needs with OTA HD. As the title says, I'm in Sunnyvale, CA, and below is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e779feaf89773c

I'm on the 2nd floor of my 2 floor apartment building. Building runs N/S, and the TV and easiest antenna placement is in the SE corner, and there's a big window on that wall if that means anything. The San Francisco channels coming from the NNW will have to go through a few walls in my building and a few more in at least one other building in the way. I almost have a clear view out my window to the San Jose channels to the NE, but the top of the next building over form mine is in the way.

I had considered something like the Leaf or Leaf Plus which seem to be a hit on Amazon (with two San Jose reviewers claiming to pull many channels with the Plus). It's omnidirectional to pull the channels from both main directions 90° apart, and the fact that the vast majority of channels in the area are UHF is also in its favor. But I'm a bit concerned about pulling the only NBC channel in the area, Ch 12 which I understand is in the high VHF range so could be a maybe/maybe not situation with the UHF antenna?

I'm also thinking about just heading out and buying the below antenna locally, that way I can save some money (and potential return shipping) if it pulls everything around:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...=1171058630499

Anyways, please comment on how you think the Leaf or Leaf Plus would work for me, whether or not I would see much benefit with the amplified version (I'm willing to spend the extra 40 bucks if it'll get more channels, or pull them more consistently). Or if you think I stand a good shot with the cheapo antenna, which I might try out tomorrow. And of course any other suggestions are welcome as well, I'm very new to the world of OTA.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am limited to indoor antennas, I don't have any outdoor place to put the antenna, nor do I have access to an attic.

Thanks.

Last edited by cjground; 26-Aug-2012 at 4:35 AM.
cjground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2012, 4:44 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The loop (rectangle to be more precise) element of the RCA antenna is going to perform as well or better than the Leaf. The dipole elements will provide VHF capability that the Leaf simply doesn't have. A Terk HDTVi (not HDTVa) is another good indoor design to consider, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2828.

Do you have any way to mount an RCA ANT-751 on a rail or wall? It sounds like you simply have no way to get a view to the NW...
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2012, 4:55 AM   #3
teleview

Tv Reception.

Any windows or balcony that are toward the north west or north east??
Old 26-Aug-2012, 5:32 AM   #4
cjground

There's a big east facing window right next to the TV, and it's clear outside until ~70 feet further to the east where there's a building of about equal height as mine. This is the building whose roof blocks my view to the NE towers.

My kitchen is on the west side of my building with a window, but there isn't a lot of space for an antenna to look out that window, especially if we're talking long rabbit ears. But there is also a building about 50 feet away in the NW direction blocking the view from the window. These buildings in the way are not monolithic structures, they're just little wood apartment buildings 20-30 feet wide although they're running N-S so the signal comes through diagonally.

I cannot mount anything outside of my apartment; no balcony, not allowed to put stuff on the walls or roof.

I had looked at the Terk directional antenna too, would that be better at picking up the signals coming through the buildings? I could probably live only getting the NW signals without having to move it. Also, the amplified version is only 7 bucks more, are you telling me to avoid that one because the amplification would cause more problems than it would solve?

Also I'm surprised that the Leaf is no better than the $15 antenna, I guess Joe Blow reviewing it at Amazon doesn't have much to go off of, but many such people have given it good reviews.

Last edited by cjground; 26-Aug-2012 at 5:35 AM.
cjground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2012, 4:06 PM   #5
teleview

Tv Reception.

Get the RCA ANT111 antenna or Radio Shack has the same type and kind of simple antenna.

Put the antenna in the west window , use a looong coax to connect it to the Tv.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the asir from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.
Old 26-Aug-2012, 4:15 PM   #6
teleview

Tv Reception.

The following is a Teleview Recommendation for Tv Reception.

Hi Rise platform shoes get excellent reviews.

I call them foot/ankle twisters.

I recommend buy the Leaf Plus and do a side by side comparison with a simple rabbit ears type antenna , such as the ANT111 or the simple radio shack antenna or a TERK HDTVi.

Here is the basic design of these flat antennas , http://www.walltenna.com.

Some >< shaped metal reception elements.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Aug-2012 at 4:38 PM.