TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Oct-2013, 1:20 PM   #1
Jscottrob

Preamp-Dist amp.

Dear TV Friends...
I need help with a simple question that a tech support person could not answer.

What is the difference between a Preamp and a dist amp? I have a Centronics CDA100 and a Wineguard HDA200.

In the audio world, a dist amp has one input and several outputs. The hda200 has one in and one out, so how is that a dist amp?

Swapping both of the units in and out resulted in reduced signal from the HDA200.

I have a roof mounted antenna, feeding 3 TV's and 2 FM tuners. 25' of RG6 from ant to attic, 3 way split, 25' to TV1, 50' homerun to TV2, 50' to another split in basement, 25' to TV3 and the 2 FM tuners.

Currently, I have the CDA100 inserted between the ant and 1st 3 way split.

Thanks,
Scott
Jscottrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2013, 3:26 PM   #2
Jscottrob

Update

The Centronics piece is a CDA 200 not a CDA 100
Old 6-Oct-2013, 5:29 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
What is the difference between a Preamp and a dist amp?
Pre-amplifiers are designed to be mounted at the antenna "pre" down-lead losses. Distribution amps are usually a combination of a line amp plus a splitter in a monolithic package. Some are just the amp for use with external splitters (if required) or long cable runs. Pre-amps are usually less noisy than a DA while the DA, which are usually re-purposed CATV amps, is usually more tolerant of mixed strong and weak signals. There may be substantial overlap in function and application, so don't get too dogmatic about which to select or recommend.

Double-amplifying is rarely needed and is often detrimental to proper reception.

Prescribing amplifiers starts with knowing what your signal conditions (power levels) are, what antenna you're using (its gain and pattern), desired/available local channels, and an understanding of the signal distribution system's losses and requirements. Just jumping in an tossing amplifier at the system rarely turns out well except by blind luck.

Start with your exact-location TVFool plot, identifying your antenna, and what actual problem you are trying to solve.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2013, 8:13 PM   #4
Jscottrob

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6a5e5381d8

Antenna is a colorstar c490.

Issue is Channel 9 and 11 come in strong on 2 of the 3 sets. TV3 doesn't not appear to be getting a strong enough signal.

Fox 5 in NY does not come in at all, but 2,4,7, and 9 are very strong.