TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Mar-2014, 5:08 PM   #1
Dave_O

No reception Ch 8.1 Henderson Nv

I have been using OTA since digital started. I have had trouble with Channel 8.1, RF 7. There appears to be no signal reaching my location. That is unusual since all of the other channels have their transmitters on the same mountain and either 5 or 9 miles away. Ch 8.1 is on one of the locations. My signal analysis is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94de4c047a6c. I use a combination loop and rabbit ears antenna that is old and has no information on it about the manufacturer. The antenna is located in a window opening on the second floor. I have a signal booster, MIYAKO USA model KF-236 inline. I get 58 channels including subs but no channel 8.1.
Any ideas?
Dave_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2014, 6:45 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you tried running 'barefoot' (no signal booster)? the strong signal levels shown on your TV Fool report suggest an amplifier may overload or cause the tuner to overload.

If that failed to resolve the problem, I'd try an RCA ANT-751. If that is too large, consider a Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2014, 3:33 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
The signal strengths are Strong Signal Strengths at your location.

---->DO NOT use any type or kind of signal amplifier.<----

---->Not built in to the antenna , Not external to the antenna , Not a preamplifier , Not a distribution amplifier , No type or kind of antenna system amplifier.<----

----------------------------

Install a.

ANT751 antenna.

Or.

http://www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna.

Or.

Antennas Direct , Clear Stream CS2V , UHF/VHF antenna.

-----------------------

In/at a South Window or Above the Roof.

Aim the antenna at about 170 degree magnetic compass.

--------------------------------------

Here is how to aim outdoor and indoor antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Or.

Put a Terk HDTVi antenna (not a HDTVa antenna) in/at the South Window and aim the HDTVi antenna at about 170 degree magnetic compass direction.

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-------------------------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.antennacraft.net.

http://www.amazon.com.
Old 10-Mar-2014, 4:08 AM   #4
Dave_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Have you tried running 'barefoot' (no signal booster)? the strong signal levels shown on your TV Fool report suggest an amplifier may overload or cause the tuner to overload.

If that failed to resolve the problem, I'd try an RCA ANT-751. If that is too large, consider a Terk HDTVi (not the HDTVa).
I have tried using this and other antennas without the booster. This is the best combination for picture quality and number of channels. It is very similar to RCA ANT 111. I am going to try a half wave dipole antenna for 176Mhz, or 31.9" to see if there is a signal for my location on 8.1. I haven't been able to get 8.1 having used 4 different antennas and two different signal boosters. I have moved the antennas to several locations with varying direction settings but no luck.
I can't put an antenna on the outside, too much bickering with the home owners association, so the 751 is out. If the HDTVi could be mounted upside down on the ceiling it might work. Right now I'm disinterested in spending more money unless I know it will work, plus my wife has to approve of the appearance. If it would get 8.1 she might. Trying to exhaust all options before buying more antennas.
If I can receive a signal on 8.1 with the dipole, how complicated is it to run two antennas in parallel? I know there can be issues with the antennas interfering with each other, just thought it might be worth a try.
Any ideas?
David

Antennas tried: Leaf, RCA ANT 1400, Orca Matrix
Old 10-Mar-2014, 5:22 AM   #5
dmfdmf

RCH7 is 174-180 MHz, have you tried an FM block? Run an FM Fool report for your location and see if you have any hot FM stations nearby broadcasting around 88 to 90MHz which could be interfering. As others have mentioned you are in a great spot for reception and the amp could be making things worse. Custom tuned antenna is a good idea to see if you can get anything.

I just took another look at your TV Fool report. Look at how high RCH2 is, the power is -10.3 dBm and broadcasting at 54-60 MHz. I am no RF expert but could the 3rd harmonic 3x60=180MHz be knocking out RCH7? That would be my guess. I have a radio station in my area that is at -9.9 dBm and it wrecks all my other FM stations across the band. I had to install a notch filter. I am not sure how you could test this.

Edit: Try this; Buy a Pico Macom HLSJ VHF Band High-Low Antenna Separator-Combiner (HLSJ) and plug your antenna into the VHF-Hi port, cap the VHF-Lo port with a 75 Ohm Terminator and run the LINE port to your TV. I'd re-zero your tuner and then scan with this in the path. This should knock down RCH2.

Last edited by dmfdmf; 10-Mar-2014 at 5:53 AM.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2014, 6:39 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
RCH7 is 174-180 MHz, have you tried an FM block? Run an FM Fool report for your location and see if you have any hot FM stations nearby broadcasting around 88 to 90MHz which could be interfering. As others have mentioned you are in a great spot for reception and the amp could be making things worse. Custom tuned antenna is a good idea to see if you can get anything....
Why didn't I think of that?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2014, 4:12 PM   #7
Dave_O

Hi,
In the past, RCh2 (3.1) has been difficult to receive. My amp has an FM trap and, I'm guessing, that means when it is "on" it captures and negates the FM signals. Maybe that is why I can receive many more VHF channels when the amp is in line. I still haven't put up the dipole antenna yet.
There are several FM stations transmitting from the same tower complex as my TV stations. I have included the FM Radar image.
I have a band separator but was waiting to get the dipole on line and parallel it with the current antenna. I'm still not sure if that would give an improvement but the separator is free so it is just a matter of getting all of the parts combined.
I have one other concern. What is the chance that there is a problem with the tuner on the TV? It is a new RCA set. 42" LED with a DVD player installed in it.
David
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (149.2 KB, 514 views)
Old 11-Mar-2014, 8:13 AM   #8
dmfdmf

I still think that you have interference issues on RCH7 either from FM KSOS at 90.5MHz or from RCH2. Both of these are coming in very strong and probably overloading the amp or your tuner. You absolutely do not need an amp. You'll need to order some parts and follow these steps;

Parts: one 30 dB drop tap, one FM trap and a 75 Ohm terminator cap, enough coax cables to tie it all together.

Pick one of your antennas that does NOT have an amp, do not use an amplified antenna with the power unplugged. Connect everything like this;

<ant><FM Trap><30dB Tap><TV>

Between each <> pair you'll need a length of coax, so three cables and it doesn't really matter how long.

Take the 75 Ohm terminator cap and screw it onto the antenna input to your TV and rescan your stations. You should get zero channels, if you get any stations your TV is defective. Remove the terminator cap and connect the TV to the high loss 30 dB port of the drop tap. These connectors usually have three ports labelled IN/OUT/TAP. The IN port should connect to the output of the FM trap, the TV should be plugged into the TAP port, you should cap the OUT port with the 75 Ohm terminator cap. Make sure the antenna is aimed South and rescan your channels and see what you get. If my theory is correct, then your reception should improve and you might get RCH7 if the antenna you use has any VHF gain at all.

The FM trap and the drop tap will probably cost about $3-$4 and you might have to buy a pack of 3 or 4 terminator caps but that should be ~$2. If you find this all at the same online store you can probably save on shipping.
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote