TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Feb-2013, 2:35 PM   #1
Aphilippi

Trying for a certain channel

I just installed an antennas direct db8 on top of my garage about 200 ft from the house. I also installed a winegard ap8700 low noise amp. I can receive most all of the local stations except for wbui cw. One problem could be that there are woods to the west of me. Is there any way to pick up this station? I'm willing to spend more money if necessary. My tv fool report is **http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda21a77f95b7
Thanks
Aphilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 6:51 AM   #2
teleview

To see if Signal strength improves.

Using the exact address , make and post 2 more tvfool radar report plots , 40 and 60 feet antenna height.
Old 4-Feb-2013, 9:00 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

WBUI is weak, but not so weak that that alone should make it impossible to receive. You're also contending with interference from WVUT from roughly the opposite direction.

Once you post TVFR reports for 40 and 60 feet as teleview suggested, we can get a better idea of what to suggest.

Are you able to consider mounting high enough to clear the trees?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
No static at all

Do you have the FM Trap activated on the 8700 pre-amp? Looks to be some strong FM in town that may be compromising the dynamic range of the pre-amp. Also did you really mean 200 feet? Any splitters?

If the trap doesn't help, I would first start by adding a rotator & experimenting with varying heights up/down in 6 inch increments to find a sweet spot for WBIU. The rotator can help with both maximizing aim for WBUI-22 & minimizing the interference from WVIU-22.

Really hard to say how much the offending channel 22 in the opposite direction plays in here. The other station is closer, but hopefully TV Fool is correct in it's prediction. WBUI is only beaming 1/5th of it's total power in your direction as seen here, which is not helping either.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2013, 3:19 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The front-to-back rejection ratio of the DB8 on channel 22 should exceed 20 dB. When this is combined with the forecasted powers for WBUI and WVUT, co-channel interference on WBUI by WVUT is unlikely to ever occur unless there is severe tropo underway.

Most likely, the trees are the final straw in the signal path for WBUI at your location. Unless you can clear the trees with your antenna, reliable reception of that station is unlikely.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 4-Feb-2013 at 3:22 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote