TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Mar-2016, 9:45 AM   #1
malt

Help with new setup

Hello,

So I'm getting ready to leave DirecTV, and am looking for any recommendations from those who know what they are doing. Being in northern VA, just outside DC, I figure I should be covered pretty well. I am mostly interested in the main broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) but anything more I can get will be great.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51345b7c8c0df7

Looking at my map I think I will need an antenna for both VHF and UHF, right? And it looks like I can use a unidirectional and be okay? I am planning on either an attic installation, or rooftop. I'd prefer attic, as that will be an easier go, but I could attach something to where the DirecTV dish is now and use that.

So mostly - what should I look at for an antenna, and will attic be fine, and do I need an amplifier, etc. Thanks in advance for any help. It is much appreciated.
malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Jake V

Your signals are pretty strong and mostly to the northeast. I'd try an Antennas Direct C2V aimed at 46 degrees with a compass.

Attics are funny places for antennas. Sometimes they work fine and sometimes not. A lot depends on the metal & electrical up there and what the antenna is "looking through". If you have regular sheathing and vinyl siding you could be OK, but if it's stucco or brick it's another story. Start with an easy stop for testing with a coax run through the house to the TV. If it doesn't work be prepared to try everywhere in the attic it will fit. Run permanent wires only when all TVs get a good signal.

If that doesn't work you can mount it outside.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote