TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Neilbo

Ota help in northern cook county il 60089

Hi, I have a win guard yagi type antenna in my attic (about 15 years old)I am about 26 miles from the transmitters my antenna is pointed to 140degrees.
I just bought a wine guard booster pre amp cause I split it 4 ways and I have runs of about 50 feet or more. CBS is strong about 92 of 100 on my tivo premiere. Abc is about 85 of 100 nbc sucks about 60 of 100, wfld not much better 70 of 100. I get frequent split second anomalies on these weeker channels making tv unwatchable,and pissing me off. Does anyone have suggestions?
Neilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 2:50 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

May I suggest you post a link to your TV Fool report? Thanks...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 2:56 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
Please make and post a Tvfool report.

Go to the Tvfool home page and click on , >>Start MAPS< ,

Use your Exact address to make the Tvfool report.

Make the antenna height in the Tvfool report , 25 feet above ground.

Click on the make Tvfool report button.

Post the Tvfool report.
Old 22-Jan-2014, 1:10 PM   #4
Neilbo

Ota help in northern cook county il 60089

Here is the info I hope

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94d5be9235af

Hi, I have a win guard yagi type antenna in my attic (about 15 years old)I am about 26 miles from the transmitters my antenna is pointed to 140degrees.
I just bought a wine guard booster pre amp cause I split it 4 ways and I have runs of about 50 feet or more. CBS is strong about 92 of 100 on my tivo premiere. Abc is about 85 of 100 nbc sucks about 60 of 100, wfld not much better 70 of 100. I get frequent split second anomalies on these weeker channels making tv unwatchable,and pissing me off. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 22-Jan-2014, 4:29 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

With a wonderful reception prediction like yours, the results from in the attic leave one to conclude that your attic is one of the many which are poor antenna mounting sites.

Test reception outside. Use only known good equipment. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

Old 22-Jan-2014, 8:52 PM   #6
Neilbo

ota reception in northern cook county in 60089

I am confused you say with a "wonderful reception prediction"

What does that mean? Do you have any suggestions? Are you saying that some locations don't work in an attic? Do you think I could mount a smaller antenna outside, where my dish used to be and that could provide better results?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help
Old 22-Jan-2014, 9:12 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

By "wonderful reception prediction", I mean that you have many strong, line of sight signals that should be easy to receive. If you are having trouble, one of the first things to consider is, 'is something in the way?' Attic construction varies, and makes the top of the list of things that may cause reception trouble.
Quote:
Are you saying that some locations don't work in an attic?
Sort of... More precisely, I'm saying that some attics are terrible reception sites. This can be due to metal in the roof system, insulating material, plumbing or heating/cooling ducts. An extra layer of shingles may be the proverbial straw that breaks things. Even a nice attic will weaken signals passing into it, and there will almost certainly be higher levels of electronic noise in the attic, originating from appliances, computers and similar devises in the home.

An antenna such as the Antennacraft HD850 or Channel Master CM-3016 pointed SE should provide excellent reception if not blocked by trees or structures. If you have no interest in receiving any signals in the range of real CH-2 through CH-6, an even smaller antenna could be suggested.

Old 22-Jan-2014, 9:28 PM   #8
StephanieS

I agree, the Chicago area seems to have a large amount of excellent reception plots.

There hasn't been a brutal one I've see yet out of that area in my time here.

By excellent, I mean line of sight, strong signal quality and high chance at reliable reception. Neilbo, go check out some of the threads centering on the San Francisco bay area. They can get quite brutal - meaning no line of sight or terrain obstructed signals and red shaded weak signals. Or, just plain situations were you are 30 miles from the transmitters and reliable reception isn't possible.

You are fortunate over half of your signals are line of sight and the majority are green.

For an over the air system, many would jump for joy with your plot.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 9:48 PM   #9
teleview

+=>
----
Above the Peak of the Roof install a , www.channelmasterstore.com , CM5016 antenna aimed at about 140 degrees magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

A antenna system amplifier Is Not Required.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a simple common 4 way splitter.

--------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard (911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com
, or , www.amazon.com

----------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.channelmasterstore.com

www.ronard.com

www.amazon.com

-----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Bouncing Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Pratice is to install the CM5016 antenna at a location the has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own , attic , roof , building.

-------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv tramissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tvs will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Memu and select ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

------

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jan-2014 at 3:16 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.