TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Mar-2011, 1:21 PM   #1
gasalisbury

Antenna Recommendation Request

I am looking for antenna recommendations. I wish to view FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC and FM would be a nice to have but not mandatory. If the antenna solution provides reliable reception, I will connect to a PC/Home Network that I will would like to use as a DVR so I will assume the PC will not be able to actuate a rotor (although someone probably figured out how to do that!). Would prefer to mount antenna in attic but will do roof mount if necessary. I used accurate GPS coordinates to generate the report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...59794a837bf56a
I requested help from channel master. Their response:
I would go with CM-4228HDs if you are not concerned with FM radio, if you want FM radio you could go with one CM-3018 to pick up FM and use a 4228HD facing the other direction. You can use a two splitter to combine both of these signals in which you should then run the combined signal through our CM-7777 amplifier to boost the signal, then the RG6 coaxial would route into your home.
Can anyone confirm this recommendation or offer additional help? Sharing of your expertise would be greatly appreciated.
gasalisbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2011, 6:17 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Comparing your TVF report to your 'must have' list; The weakest signal is the NBC affiliate WVIT-35 @ 305° mag. Next higher is CBS - WSFB-33 @ 321°.

Those two signals are virtually the same in predicted strength, an 8-bay panel antenna such as the 4228 (or AD DB-8 or Winegard HD8800 or AC U8000) facing about 310° - 315° mag. would provide reliable reception with a reasonable fade margin. This antenna would also receive FOX - WTIC-31 and a PBS station.

I would take a different approach regarding VHF and FM. To receive ABC - WTNH-10, aim an Antennacraft Y5713 at 256° mag.

The Antennacraft 10G221 preamplifier has inputs for separate UHF and VHF antennas. It also has a switchable FM trap which I would mak use of.

For FM, I would install a separate FM-only antenna and separate coax run. You may find the performance of the FM antenna acceptable if mounted in the attic... it's worth a try.

The TV antennas need to be outside in the clear.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-Mar-2011 at 6:34 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2011, 6:32 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Re. PC based DVR: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Mar-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
gasalisbury

Perfect!

Thank you so much! It took me a while to find the Antennacraft hardware in my area (CT), but it was worth the wait. Thank you again for your fast and very professional advice.
gasalisbury is offline   Reply With Quote