TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Feb-2013, 3:18 PM   #1
mjl5007

Cutting the cord in Central PA

Relative newbie here, looking to cut the Comcast cord and wanting to put up an antenna to pick up my local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Here's my TV Fool map link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddab8c729522a

My goal is to pick up WPSU-TV (PBS), WATM-DT (ABC on the main channel 23.1, FOX on subchannel 23.2), WTAJ-DT (CBS) and either WJAC-TV or W42DG-D (WJAC is the main NBC transmitter, W42DG-D is apparently a local repeater of the same station, according to rabbitears.info).

I borrowed an Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF antenna and a 10dB amplifier (cheap no-brand made in China) from a co-worker last week to test my reception. I connected it directly to my TV with a ~25' length of RG-6, and placed the antenna on top of a bookshelf on the second floor (~15-18' AGL) on the west wall, aimed at approximately 250' to magnetic north. Without the amplifier I was able to pick up PBS (WPSU), MyTV (WHVL), and NBC (I assume from W42DG) with anywhere from 5-10 bars on my TV's signal strength meter. ABC and Fox (WATM) were there but dropped intermittently every few seconds, and CBS (WTAJ) was also recognized by the TV, but showed "weak or no signal" 99% of the time with occasional 1-2 second bursts where it would come in, then drop again. When I added the 10dB amplifier and tweaked the direction of the antenna by a few degrees, ABC and Fox improved enough that they did not drop out, and while CBS improved slightly, it still dropped frequently and was not watchable.

Those results were better than I expected, especially since I have several things working against me: aluminum siding, and tall trees and 2-story townhouses across the street in the direction if the transmitters I'm trying to pick up. So, I'm optimistic that if I get a better antenna and mount it outside on the roof (20-25' AGL), I should be able to get CBS (WTAJ), too... right? I'll still have trees in the way, but I should at least be over the tops of the buildings across the street.

So, I'm looking for advice on choosing an antenna that will be enough to pick up the last remaining signal from WTAJ, but that isn't overkill... and that also is not so directional that it won't pick up WPSU and W42DG, which are both coming from a different direction, almost due south. Or are the signals from WPSU and W42DG so strong (and so much closer) that almost anything will pick them up?

The folks at Solid Signal recommended the Antennas Direct 91XG, which admittedly is a little bit larger than I was thinking that I would need, given what I was able to pick up with my test setup as described above. I can certainly put up something that large if necessary, but if it's not necessary I'd prefer to stay as small and low-cost as possible (obviously!). Would something small like an Antennas Direct ClearStream C2/C4 or DB2E/DB4E, or a Winegard HD4400, do the trick? Or do I need to look at a yagi, perhaps a Winegard H7000R, given that I'm 30+ miles from the transmitter?

Additional details:
- I'm looking to connect at most two TVs, so worst case I'll be looking at a 2-way splitter somewhere in the line.
- I would like to bring the signal from the antenna into the basement where the existing cable TV line comes in, and then distribute it to the TVs using the existing coax in the house. I will disconnect the incoming cable TV from the in-house wiring. I believe the existing wiring throughout the house is RG-59 (house built in 1986).
- My plan for mounting the antenna is to use a universal J-mount attached to the side of my chimney approximately 2' below the top, with the short leg of the mast attached to the bracket and the long leg vertically plumb, with the antenna attached at the top of the long leg -- this will allow me to have LOS just to the side of a pine tree right at the corner of the house that would otherwise be in the way. My neighbor has an identical setup with a satellite dish, but on his there are also two support legs coming off the mast just above the J-bend that attach to the chimney as well, providing support. What sort of hardware would I need to replicate that setup?
- I'm not sure how to approach grounding the antenna. My electric service is grounded obviously, but it is underground entrance. The meters (for my townhouse and several others attached to mine) are on the side of my house (I'm an end unit) almost directly below my desired antenna location on the roof; the main feeders from the transformer come up from the ground through conduit, into the bank of electric meters, and then there is conduit back down into the ground from each individual meter. On the rear of the townhouses (right around the corner for me), the conduit comes back up above ground maybe 1 foot before making a 90' turn and passing through the foundation wall into the basement. I gather that I should not bring a grounding wire from the antenna/mast into the basement to tie into the existing ground wiring there? If not, how do I bond my antenna ground to the existing service ground outside? I don't believe the ground rods (if they exist) are visible/accesible outside.

Whew, sorry for the length -- just wanted to make sure I give as much info as possible. Huge thanks in advance for whatever advice you can provide!
mjl5007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2013, 1:41 PM   #2
teleview

Install above the roof so the reception is not blocked buy the roof and house in the directions of , north west , south west , south.

Install a ANT751 antenna aimed at about 210 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

No preamplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

Here are some places to buy antennas and ect. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels and so do buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the ANT751 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.
Old 11-Feb-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
elmo

I'd agree with Teleview's ANT751 choice (or even the 7000R as you mentioned) over the 91XG, which I don't understand that recommendation at all. You're relatively close so long range isn't a concern. There's about a 75 deg spread between the two main tower groups; the 91XG isn't optimal for that. Plus it won't do much for the VHF you have available. The ANT751 will do much better, IMO.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote