TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-May-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
msu2

What antenna setup would you suggest?

Hello, and thank you for considering my situation.

My TV Signal Analysis Results are here

The antenna will be mounted on the roof of a home that is located under a canopy of large oak trees. The previous antenna (I don't know the make/model but it was an LPDA type antenna) was damaged by a falling tree limb.

The signal is currently split 4 ways in the attic using an Electroline EDA-UG 2402.

There is also a Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 attached to the system.

Thanks for your time and input,

Phil
msu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2010, 9:28 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Looks like you know something about antennas and amplifiers now. .LPDA Log Periodic Dipole Array. The Log Periodic is the best for digital tv reception , they have a nice flat even responds across the tv channels. .The 'situation' tv station here is channel 10 PBS. I suggest 2 antennas and forget about channel 5 W05BV. 2 Winegard 7694P tv antennas , one pointed at channel 10 , 267 degree magnetic compass and one pointed between 35 and 16 , 345 degree magnetic compass. Both of these antennas are UHF and VHF high band antennas 7thru13. Connect the antennas with a Winegard CC7870 antenna joiner with equal lengths of RG6 coax cable, no antenna amplifier on the antennas . . If you will like to keep channel 5 then use 2 Winegard HD7082P antennas , the HD7082P has the long metal elements for channel 5 and connect the antenna amplifier to the antenna that is pointed at channel 5. One port on the Winegard CC7870 passes power , thats the one to connect with the amplifier. . http://winegardtvantennas.com . . The antennas need to be separated by 13 feet or more and mounted on separate antenna mounts , the southern most antenna is channel 10 and the northern most antenna is pointed between channels 35 and 16.

Last edited by teleview; 19-May-2010 at 3:15 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 19-May-2010, 3:53 AM   #3
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Ok if you will like a True LPDA antenna , they are available as a commercial grade antenna. The Blonder Tongue , BTY-UHF-BB and BTY-LP-BB and BTY-UVMK . These 2 antennas can be connected together with the BTY-UVMK to make one antenna . and Blonder Tongue also has commercial grade amplifiers. . . . http://www.blondertongue.com . . . Go to the CATV button and then click on Antennas. These HEAVY DUTY Tv Antennas are often used at CATV Off Air Reception Hubs , Satellite Tv Off Air Reception Hubs and at Tv Stations. The reason is , these antennas are constructed to last forever with no interruption in service. Also these antennas need to be mounted in such a way that it will not fall over or be beaten up by tree branches , these antennas cost a lot of money. But then if one were to cost it out over a period of years and years and years with comparison of consumer grade antennas and these commercial grade antennas , the commercial grade antennas cost less money.

Last edited by teleview; 19-May-2010 at 6:04 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 20-May-2010, 9:44 AM   #4
msu2

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for taking the time to give some direction, your replies have been very helpful.

The tree branches will be a liability for a long time to come, so I think I'll go with the consumer grade, but I do like to find out about commercial grade equipment as well.

Do you have any suggestions about roof mounts?

-- Phil
msu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-May-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

If the roof has the standard flat composition shingles then I suggest two 5 foot tripod antenna mounts . . http://www.solidsignal.com . . PTV P5 tripod mount , and don't forget the pitch pads , . P10 Pitch pads. . Might use a chimney mount with one of the antennas. Find all manner of mounts and ect. at solidsignal. Also at http://www.starkelectronic.com . . So as to stop the RG-6 coax from swinging in the wind , feed the coax up through the bottom of the antenna mounting pipe , out the top and connect to antenna , leave slack , no need to put sharp bends in the coax. Remember to use equal length coax between the antenna combiner and antennas. Mount the antenna while standing on the roof. Do not climb on the tripod to get antenna higher and higher and then you fall off. . Use a stud finder to find the roof supports , this way the tripod mount is very secure. . Many times I have used 'top rail' fence pipe as antenna mounting pipe , I get it at homedepot.

Last edited by teleview; 20-May-2010 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 21-May-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
kb2fzq

I use this LPDA antenna...
http://www.digiwavetechnologies.com/...ge&PAGE_id=281
I have 2 of them phased, this configuration is pretty hot...they are VHF-hi/UHF antennas, not the channel coverage mentioned on the webpage...
If you're interested in these, PM me, I'll tell you where to purchase them...

Last edited by kb2fzq; 21-May-2010 at 10:52 AM.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2010, 5:46 AM   #7
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

I suggest cutting the tree branches back , WAY Back , so the branches will take a Looooooong time to grow to the Tv antennas.