TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Jun-2010, 3:05 PM   #1
halj63

Reception Problem with one station

I'm using a Clearstream C2 antenna at my location http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe6e4e3935ae. The main stations here ABC, NBC and CBS are on channels 4.1, 5.1 and 7.1. All three broadcast from the same hilltop location in Seattle with roughly the same power, etc. Trouble is I get 5.1 and 7.1 just fine, but 4.1 (ABC) is much weaker (60% signal strength vs 94%) and drops out constantly. What could be the problem? Ive tried a different antenna with much the same result. Thanks.
halj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2010, 8:14 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Where is the antenna at , attic , roof , side of house ? Do you live in a house or Apt. .How many Tv's connected ? Are big trees or buildings blocking a LOS - Line Of Sight to the television transmitters at Seattle . . Is a signal amplifier connected now? I am not suggesting a preamp. . I am gathering information. . O and 7.1 is really 39.1 , 4.1 is really 38.1 , and 5.1 is really 48.1 .

Last edited by teleview; 12-Jun-2010 at 3:11 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-Jun-2010, 8:39 AM   #3
kb2fzq

My first guess....adjacent channel interference....
7.1 (RF 39) is running 1000 kw
4.1 (RF 38) is running 880 kw
It shouldn't be an issue, but it might be.....is this something new or has it been going on for a while?
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
halj63

This is a new installation, Ive been on cable. antenna is on the roof of my house, one tv connected, no preamp. There are some big fir trees within 200ft of my house in my line of site to the 3 transmission towers.
Old 11-Jun-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

Check out Ken Nist's description of what can affect reception here. It's possible that the antenna is in a weak spot for 38 and not for 39, given the short wavelengths of UHF. Still a bit of a stretch, though.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jun-2010, 5:30 PM   #6
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Trees are blocking signal , relocate Tv antenna , Height is one way , and or , moving Tv antenna to different location or cut down the trees. The higher the Digital UHF - Ultra High Frequency Tv Channels of 14 thru 51 the more tree absorbtion takes place.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Jun-2010 at 7:55 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 11-Jun-2010, 9:13 PM   #7
teleview

Tv reception

As a point of interest , Your location also has KSTW 11 , KCTS 9 , K080U-D 8. . These Tv Channels are in the VHF HIGH Band 7 thru 13. The Clear Stream 2 is desinged for the UHF channels. . And yes I know that the antenna receives VHF , however at a lowered reception ability. . The thing is that 99.9% of the general public does not know any thing about Tv antennas so what they do is look and see a television antenna , and the monkey see monkey do kicks in. Then comes the Urban Myths and then the whole Tv antenna situation is a big mess. . I am 60 years old. There was a time of the 40's , 50's , 60's , 70's when MANY people had at least some understanding of Tv antennas. . I feel like I am fighting a losing battle , I keep up the fight , but as I look around me where ever I go in and outside business , in and out side houses the roofs and the sides of buildings and see the antennas that people are putting up outside and using inside , I feel very sad.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Jun-2010 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 12-Jun-2010, 1:15 AM   #8
halj63

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I ended up moving the antenna on my rooftop to get a slightly better view past the trees. I now have a somewhat better signal and will see how it goes the next few days.
Old 14-Jun-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion View Post
Can the trees influence the signal of my antenna?
Yes, Are you still having issues with 4.1?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2010, 9:34 PM   #10
halj63

I found the description of what can effect reception, posted above by Dave Loudin, to be very interesting. I moved the antenna about 5 ft along the rooftop to get a better line of sight around the trees and the signal is quite a bit better. I may do a little more experimenting, but I seem to be on the right track. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 14-Jun-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Dave Loudin

Aren't some of the things on that page mindbenders? I'm glad you found something that worked.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote