TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2014, 4:36 PM   #1
DrDave

Help with reception

My plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94d446e06921

Currently I have a Mohu Leaf in my attic, which seems to perform fairly well during the day, but does a poorer job after sundown. Referencing my plot, at the minimum I would like to receive the signals at 269 and 50 degrees, but if I could pull in some of those at 110-118 degrees that would be ideal. Oddly enough, currently I can pull in a few of those stations that are well into the red (WRIC-TV, WRLH-TV WTVR-DT) during the day.

I realize a roof-mount is probably in order, which isn't a problem once the weather improves.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2014, 5:35 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hello DrDave,

What are your specific goals with reception? Do you just want main affiliates in NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and FOX? Or, are you looking to receive specific signals?

Are you planning to split the signal to multiple TVs? If so, how many and estimated length of coaxes?

You are fortunate in that at magnetic heading 59 you are serviced by signals that offers you a nice "one stop" location. These provide NBC, CW, FOX and CBS. ABC programming will come from magnetic 50 and WSHV. PBS WVPT is strong enough there is a reasonable chance at reception off the back of installed antenna.

If you are just interested in being served by the affiliates that are the easiest to receive , I suggest a Antennacraft HBU33 high-vhf (channels 7-13) and UHF (14 and above) all in one application. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...na-%28hbu33%29 Signals are reasonably good at your location. This antenna is on the stronger side for your application, however, I prefer to recommend antennas one notch above rating. In addition, the 1-edge conditions of WSHV are best to factor in that extra notch to. 1-edge conditions can be a little more tricky due to signals being geographically blocked. Thus, they have to go around the terrain and be bent to get to you. They can be unpredictable. It's wise when choosing antennas, target your weakest signal and pathway situation, choose the antenna that can handle that reception situation. If you have stronger signals on the same heading, they should be received as well. Thus, for WSHV is why I recommended the HBU33 to handle that 1-edge situation.

Orientate HBU33 to magnetic 55. I would expect to see the translator that provide NBC, CW as well as WSVF which provides CBS and FOX. I'd also expect to see WSHV ABC/MeTV and WVPT PBS off the back.

Mount antenna on roof and clear of obstructions if possible. There are options such as a tripods or eave mounts for installation. Run coax indoors and test to one TV patched directly into antenna. Perform channel scan.

That'll be the moment of truth.

Charlottesville and Roanoke primary signals are going to be tough haul. They would require one of the strongest set ups to have a chance. Your map doesn't give a lot of hope though. Thus, I recommend the application above for the easiest reception of main affiliates.

We can chat more if you intend to split signals to multiple TVs and if that requires additional planning.

Regards.

Last edited by StephanieS; 20-Jan-2014 at 5:55 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2014, 6:43 PM   #3
DrDave

Thanks Stephanie for the reply. As far as my goals, the main networks you mentioned are what I'm looking for. The must-haves are WVIR (either thru W41DT or W30CT), WVPT, WSVF, WHSV, which are all Charlottesville or Harrisonburg stations. Roanoke, Richmond or Lexington are not required.

One thing to note that I'm not sure that the plot takes into account is that I'm in between two ridges, one to my east and one to my west, both of which have 2 story houses on top of. There are also a fair number of tall trees on the ridge to the east. That may make the signals from Massanutten (50 deg) and Elliots Knob (269 deg) more challenging so perhaps a beefier antenna may be in order?

The antenna will be run to one HDHR tuner, with a run length of approx. 50'.

With this additional info, would you stick to the HBU33?
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
StephanieS

Wink

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional info. You are right, trees and very localized obstructions TV fool won't account for. This creates a much more hostile situation. You may find with the most aggressive set up, you still don't have satisfactory reception. All you can do is pick the best spot on your property for signal and then try.

In your earlier post I misread one detail. K41DT which provides NBC and CW programming is at heading 278 with the PBS and ABC while CBS and FOX are at 59 degrees magnetic. Magnetic 278 requires high-VHF (real channels 7-13) and UHF (Channels 14 and above) while magnetic 59 requires UHF only.

With this new info, I suggest a 2 antenna system for magnetic 278 with an option for a third dedicated antenna for magnetic 59. We'll start with the two antenna setup though.

For magnetic 278, I would install an Antennas Direct DB8e http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nna-%28db8e%29. This antenna may be favorable due to it's ability for each half of the antenna to be adjusted separately. This is advantageous in multi-path situations or if you are getting reflections from terrain. The "bounce" may be a better signal to receive from than the TVfool heading! This antenna gives you that flexibility should you have signal reflection to contend with.

This antenna also allows for one half of the antenna to be pointed off axis from the other. I would start by testing and orientating one half of the antenna to magnetic 278, then the other half to magnetic 59 to see if that yields all the UHF signals you are seeking.

Further, I would add an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 for high-vhf coverage for your PBS affiliate. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=716079000987

Orientate Y5-7-13 to heading 278.

To summarize with antenna headings, you have the DB8e with one half orientated to 278. The second half of the DB8e should be orientated to 59. The Y5-7-13 should be orientated to 278.

Install on tripod located on the roof with 10' pole. http://www.solidsignal.com/search/sr.asp?q=tripodPut DB8e at the top of the pole. Install Y5-7-13 four feet below on the same mast. Suggestion: before drilling, stand antenna on roof in a couple of varying locations to test reception

On pole below Y5-7-13 mount an Antennas Direct EU385CF-1 coupler. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001705 This makes two antennas (high-vhf and UHF) combined into one coax. Input DB8e coax into UHF input, into VHF input run jumper from Y5-7-13. Run single coax into your home.

As prior, after aiming is finished hook up coax into one TV with nothing inline then perform channel scan. You'll know quickly if you have reception.

This is my introductory set up with your added info. Knowing you have trees and geography, we'll see if it is enough. If your tests don't prove reliable reception, then then invoking a 3rd antenna while you have the DB8e fully concentrated on heading 278 might be something to discuss.

For starters though, this is serious setup that gives you several extra notches on the HBU33.

Let us know how it goes!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote