TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Jul-2016, 6:46 PM   #1
SoHumble

Antenna and mounting advice

I have a neighbor that wants to cut the cord. This is his report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbb4e34247ed

I live just up the street from him and have an RCA ANT 751R that is mounted in the attic. I also had to add a a pre-amp when I split the signal to three tvs with one long run (about 100'). This arrangement works well for me.

His situation is a little different, in that he wants to mount the antenna outside. The plan is to mount a ANT 751R or Channel Master CM-3010HD Stealth antenna directly on the facia of his house so it will be as unobtrusive as possible.

The CM would probably be the least intrusive of the two. Do you think this set up will work? Also, the antenna cable will lead to the junction box currently connected to cable tv. So the antenna will use the cable already wired throughout his house.

Since the antenna will be outside, does the antenna need to be grounded? The cables are already grounded at the junction box.

Thanks
SoHumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2016, 8:39 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The weak signals shown in the report make it difficult for me to expect acceptable results from the small antennas you're proposing, especially if there are nearby trees to aim through.

I'd be inclined to buy an Antennas Direct 91XG or DB8e to aim toward the SE and a ClearStream 5 aimed SSW.

Re grounding, http://forum.tvfool.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=20

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Before we conclude you need a large antenna system, consider creating and posting another reception report with the antenna height set to 25'.

Old 10-Jul-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
SoHumble

2nd report

Ok, the new report at 25'
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb3b982a6c95

I forgot to mention that I am only interested in the stations in Orlando (108 to 111 degrees).

Thanks
Old 11-Jul-2016, 1:07 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Focusing only on the Orlando market...

The added height appears to provide significantly better signal levels. Still, If I were in that location, I'd have no qualms about using larger antennas such as the Winegard HD7698P

I realize that the stealth qualities of an antenna that size may be objectionable to some, but this location is far enough from the Orlando towers to require a mid to large size antenna mounted high enough to capture the modest amount of signal that's available.

(I'm delighted that your attic mounted antenna works well for you. I have to wonder if your location has significantly better reception conditions.)
Old 11-Jul-2016, 5:23 AM   #6
SoHumble

My antenna

Here is the report from my location

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb2766bac8b1

When I first got this antenna I experimented by setting it on a plastic trash can on my driveway. I got pretty much the same results as I get now with the attic installation. I even pointed it towards Tampa Bay and picked up a lot of stations.

I had another ANT 751 when I lived in Houston and found that it performed as good or even better than a really long antenna (Radio Shack) that I had. It looks to me like these antennas perform at a higher level than one would expect.

Anyway, my neighbor ordered one, so we will see how it does at his house. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it works out.
Old 11-Jul-2016, 5:14 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

It will be welcome to hear a report of the results, all the best.