TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2012, 6:01 PM   #1
Mortech

Red face Help with Antenna/recomendations

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and to this antenna world and this is my first post. I hope it's in the right section.

Here is my report.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ccd790cd9b

I didn't do my research before buying this Philips antenna SDV4310/27 (http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...10_27_rtv_.jpg). It says that it has a 40 mile range but after I found this site and did my report from this site (which is great by the way) I realized that I'm 85 miles away from the channels I want. (22-CBS, 14-NBC, 32-PBS, 43-FOX, 13-ABC, ).
What I don't understand is even though I'm still not high enough to have LOS (currently at 35Ft), I'm still receiving 22-CBS, 43-FOX, and 32-PBS. So why isn't NBC coming in when CBS, PBS and FOX are coming in no problem. ABC will probably be the hardest for me to get since it is the farthest on the chart.

Also If I had a different/better antenna (mileage wise) ex. a Winegard 8200U or other, would I still need to go higher? What antenna would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mortech
Mortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Install a Winegard HD7694P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 145 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Use a Channel Master , tripod mount or eave mount available at , http://www.saveandreplay.com. Saveandreplay also has the HD7694P antenna. And saveandreplay also has the CPA-19 preamp.

Last edited by Electron; 26-Feb-2012 at 2:36 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
phone man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortech View Post

What I don't understand is even though I'm still not high enough to have LOS (currently at 35Ft), I'm still receiving 22-CBS, 43-FOX, and 32-PBS. So why isn't NBC coming in when CBS, PBS and FOX are coming in no problem.

Thanks,

Mortech
I can't find much info on your Phillips antenna, even on Phillips website. Best guess is that it just isn't very good at receiving those frequencies, high VHF ch13 ABC and low UHF ch14 NBC.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2012, 2:15 AM   #4
Mortech

Red face

@ Electron, Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.
1. Sorry for my ignorance but this preamp goes inside or outside of the house?
2. And for a channel Master is this a box that I will be scanning the channels with instead of the TV? There a so many of them I have no idea which one to get.
3. The Winegard HD7694P along with the preamp I assume I wouldn't have to go higher?
4. I don't understand the second link you put. http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper. It just brings you to the Canada Post website.

@ phone man, Thanks for the comment, your right there was nothing in the box, no specs, just 40 miles written on the box itself. This was my bad. I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for it.

Mortech
Old 20-Feb-2012, 3:27 AM   #5
Electron

The preamp part is mounted close to the antenna , the power supply for the preamp is on the inside of the house. The channel master antenna mounts at saveandreplay are , Mounts to mount the antenna above the roof , use a 3 foot tripod mount or a eave mount. The good folks at saveandreplay can help you.

Last edited by Electron; 26-Feb-2012 at 2:41 AM.
Old 20-Feb-2012, 2:57 PM   #6
Mortech

Thumbs up

Thanks again Electron. I'm starting to get the idea. I did a lot of reading yesterday and more to come. Maybe one day I'll be in a positin to give some advice in return. I'll post back with some feedback once I have everything in place.

Mortech
Old 25-Feb-2012, 8:39 PM   #7
Mortech

Question Update/Question

I played around with the antenna position and I was able to get NBC on and off depending on the time of day/weather. So I guess this antenna is not bad if it is able to pick stations 85 miles away. My question is would the Antennas Direct preamp CPA-19 suggested by Electron work with my Philips Antenna? I was thinking I'll try adding a preamp first before trying a different antenna.

Mortech
Old 25-Feb-2012, 9:38 PM   #8
Electron

Yes the CPA-19 preamp will work with the Phillips UHF antenna. The aim direction for the American stations is about 165 degrees magnetic compass. The aim direction for the Canada Tv stations is about 100 degrees magnetic compass. The in between aim direction for both the Canada and American stations is about 145 degrees magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. I called saveandreplay and ask questions about what they stock , saveandreplay has the CPA-19 preamp and anything else that will be needed for Tv reception. Saveandreplay also has a actual store you can go into.
Old 26-Feb-2012, 2:51 AM   #9
Electron

The good folks at saveandreplay , have best antenna brands that have been in business for a long time. Winegard , Channel Master , Antenna Craft , Antennas Direct.

Last edited by Electron; 26-Feb-2012 at 8:04 AM. Reason: Message
Old 26-Feb-2012, 3:39 AM   #10
phone man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortech View Post
I played around with the antenna position and I was able to get NBC on and off depending on the time of day/weather. So I guess this antenna is not bad if it is able to pick stations 85 miles away. My question is would the Antennas Direct preamp CPA-19 suggested by Electron work with my Philips Antenna? I was thinking I'll try adding a preamp first before trying a different antenna.

Mortech
Mortech, No harm in trying a preamp with the Phillips antenna but a preamp can't amplify a signal it doesn't have. Considering what you're trying to achieve, having a larger antenna with more gain gathering all the signal it can and then if necessary, amplify that signal, makes more sense than trying to boost a weaker signal.

Last edited by phone man; 26-Feb-2012 at 3:42 AM.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2012, 3:52 PM   #11
aspicer

Make sure you get your REPORT on here for your location. Something I have been trying to wrap my head around is the relationship between Virtual Channel designations and the Real Channel that they are on. This post might should go elsewhere with it's own Subject title ... but not every TV station is on UHF bands. In my area several of the stations that used to be on VHF channels got back on VHF in the final delivery of DTV OTA. That can make a difference if you only get a UHF antenna.

Radio signals (which TV signals are) like to be grabbed by an antenna of the same wavelength (or pretty close). So I would go with a good combination UHF and VHF antenna. Most of them seem to do the "Yagi Uda" yagi directional antenna thing. But with those you might need a rotator to point them at different stations.

Most of my big 3 (or 4?) stations out of Miami are along "County Line Road" just under 17 miles away. All 4 are pretty close together between 195 and 200 degrees compass bearing (2 on one tower, 2 on another) but they are 50/50 on VHF and UHF. All 4 probably strong enough here to pick up with a wet string and some coax cable. But other channels are from Palm Beach and they are along the direction 351 degrees compass north of me instead of south like the Miami stations are. ION TV is two channels one 27 miles and one 15 miles. I must be getting the closer one.

Hey this stuff is fun :-) :-)
aspicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2012, 9:10 PM   #12
Electron

The Virtual channels for the most part are the (Legacy channel number) the channel number that the Tv station had when the station was transmitting Analog before the digital change. Some Tv stations continued to transmit on the same channel , most did not. The Tv stations continue to show the Legacy channel number because they see it as brand identity. The Real channel number is the REAL Tv Channel that the Tv station is transmitting. One needs to know the Real channels so as to use the correct antenna. . The Tv stations need to drop the Virtual number completly and have the Real channel number as the brand identity. http://www.rabbitears.info has some comments about Real and Virtual channels.

Last edited by Electron; 27-Feb-2012 at 3:23 AM.