TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Enthusiast's Exchange

Notices

Old 11-Apr-2011, 4:58 AM   #1
Nex6

OTA/DTV - Paradigm?

I am in the process, of dumping 'cable' actually "direcTV" doing my research, what can be replaced, etc. and in my research i found many people are considering or have done the same thing? so i ask:

are more people switching to OTA?

me, my plan is Tivo (from tivo) + netflix, replaces 80 to 90%. which is pretty
good for me....

-Nex6
Nex6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2011, 5:12 AM   #2
John Candle

This post needs to be with and part of your post in 'Help With Reception' also. Here are simalar questions and answers , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1505

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Apr-2011 at 6:24 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2011, 6:29 AM   #3
mtownsend

The number of people using OTA is hard to pin down. Depending on who you ask, the number can be anywhere from about 10% up to about 40%. It also depends on whether you mean "exclusive" use of OTA or in combination with other sources of programming. Nobody has a definitive study of whether OTA usage is growing, shrinking, or staying the same.

In any case, there are definitely tens of millions to hundreds of millions of people using OTA TV in some way.

You have to decide for yourself what role OTA will play in your setup.

The nice things about OTA are:
  • It's free (or at least an order of magnitude cheaper than pay TV if you count the investment in an antenna)
  • Most people can get several of the major broadcast networks/affiliations like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CW, ION, MyNetworkTV, ThisTV, Universal Sports, etc.
  • The picture quality of HD channels is outstanding (often better than the HD channels on cable and satellite)
  • Some stations have extra programming streams (sub-channels) that are not available through cable or satellite systems

The caveats that come with OTA are:
  • You can't get pay-only channels like HBO, ESPN, Discovery, Pay-per-view events, etc.
  • Some people are not in a good location to receive OTA broadcasts
  • Many people simply aren't aware of, are mis-informed about, or are intimidated by OTA TV. Very little attention is given to OTA services in comparison to the big-budget ad campaigns the cable/satellite operators use to get people hooked on their services.

If your viewing priorities primarily consist of network television (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc.) and movies, then a TiVo + Netflix combination should fit the bill nicely.

You can also consider companies like Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, Pandora, YouTube, and other internet sources for additional content and variety.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote